Apple Music's best 100 albums list is done, and it's controversial

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 275member
    AppleZulu said:

To give the list its proper due, please enjoy this (Copilot) AI-generated response to it:

Apple Music’s “100 Best Albums of All Time” list has recently been unveiled, and as with any such compilation, it has sparked both excitement and controversy. The selection process involved input from Apple Music staff, music experts, and even some well-known artists. While the list is subjective, it provides a fascinating glimpse into the diverse musical landscape that has shaped our culture over the years.

At the top of the list, we find Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar, and Lauryn Hill, all of whom have made significant contributions to the music industry. Their albums are celebrated for their innovation, lyrical prowess, and cultural impact. However, the absence of certain iconic albums or artists might raise eyebrows among music enthusiasts. For instance, legendary acts like The Beatles and Pink Floyd are represented, but their positions might not align with everyone’s personal rankings. Ultimately, the “100 Best Albums” list serves as a conversation starter, prompting discussions about musical taste, nostalgia, and the ever-evolving definition of greatness in music.

As listeners, we each have our own cherished albums that resonate with us on a profound level. Whether it’s the raw emotion of Adele’s “21”, the genre-defying brilliance of Jay-Z’s “The Blueprint”, or the infectious beats of Robyn’s “Body Talk”, music is deeply personal. While Apple Music’s list provides a snapshot of influential albums, it’s essential to recognize that musical preferences are as diverse as the artists themselves. So, whether you agree or disagree with the rankings, let’s celebrate the rich tapestry of music that has shaped our lives and continue discovering new favorites along the way.

This is eerily accurate.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,101member
    Lol, it's fortunate that Apple deliberately excluded the classical music genres from this list.

No one here would be happy to see Solti's 1960 Decca recording of Wagner's Tristan und Isolde at the top of this list. And there's Karajan's Beethoven symphony cycle from the early Sixties as well that would likely occupy the #2 spot. Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations

If classical music and opera were included, they would probably take up over half the spots, leaving this as a Top 40 pop list which would be even brutally more exclusive.
    edited May 23
  • Reply 23 of 27
    MondainMondain Posts: 22member
    Naturally, a list like this will be controversial. 

But is a few years, sufficient for a reasonable evaluation and inclusion in a list of "best of all time"? For example, "Blond" by Frank Ocean was released in 2016. Is 6 or 7 years enough time for proper evaluation? For comparison, IN ANY WAY, to an album released say 50 years ago, that may have spawned ideas, wars, movements, or entire cultural revolutions?  I certainly don't think so.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    kmareikmarei Posts: 194member
    Marvin said:
    kmarei said:
    another list not based on facts, but based on inclusiveness
    gotta check those boxes!

lauryn hill at #1?
    seriously?
    There are always questionable choices in top lists but Lauryn Hill's album is in the best-selling list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums

A lot of the choices in Apple's list are best-selling albums. Some of the artists are popular on streaming services:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Spotify_streaming_records
    https://kworb.net/charts/apple_s/us.html

A top 100 list could be generated by taking the top selling albums, albums from top streamed artists and shuffling them around.
    but you can't discuss best selling when this album is ranked higher than Thriller which sold over 120 million copies
    i have no issue with that album being in the top 100, but i have a huge issue with #1

i always sense some of these decisions are based more on the color of her skin, than the musical content. and trying to prove:
    look! we are inclusive, we have a black female at #1, yaay!
    which is just as  wrong as putting the #1 album by a white singer, purely because he's white
  • Reply 25 of 27
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,073member
    kmarei said:
    Marvin said:
    kmarei said:
    another list not based on facts, but based on inclusiveness
    gotta check those boxes!

lauryn hill at #1?
    seriously?
    There are always questionable choices in top lists but Lauryn Hill's album is in the best-selling list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums

A lot of the choices in Apple's list are best-selling albums. Some of the artists are popular on streaming services:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Spotify_streaming_records
    https://kworb.net/charts/apple_s/us.html

A top 100 list could be generated by taking the top selling albums, albums from top streamed artists and shuffling them around.
    but you can't discuss best selling when this album is ranked higher than Thriller which sold over 120 million copies
    i have no issue with that album being in the top 100, but i have a huge issue with #1

i always sense some of these decisions are based more on the color of her skin, than the musical content. and trying to prove:
    look! we are inclusive, we have a black female at #1, yaay!
    which is just as  wrong as putting the #1 album by a white singer, purely because he's white
    I always sense that people making remarks like this think they’re not being racist when they’re totally being racist. 
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 27
    I tried to use some form of logic as to how the list was compiled. I thought it was by album sales and that failed. I thought could it be rankings by decades or genre...no, that didn't make sense of the list.
    Every way I thought to make this list make sense failed...it just didn't make sense, then it struck me!  They must have put several hundred album names in a big box, shook it up, and started drawing names.
    The first draw was 100, then 99, 98,97 on and on until they stood around screeching, laughing waiting to see what number 1 would be. Could they have been as disappointed as I was? I doubt it.
    muthuk_vanalingam