Marvel's 'What If...? - an Immersive Story' coming to Apple Vision Pro on May 30

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

Marvel fans can step into the MCU and help save the day with an exclusive, immersive experience, available on Apple Vision Pro.

Marvel Studios logo with text 'What If...? An Immersive Story' on a dark background.
Marvel Studios 'What If...'

"What If...? -- An Immersive Story," will feature elements from the original Disney+ animated series of the same name. The show reimagines how different characters within the Marvel universe would behave if their situations were altered.

The experience will last about an hour. It requires fans to participate in the universe alongside the show's heroes, both in virtual and augmented reality.

Stunning visuals and spatial audio set the stage as fans work to save the fate of reality while living out their narrative journey. Together, these groundbreaking features and more will remind them that time, space, and reality are more than just a linear path.

The project was brought to life by the talent at ILM Immersive, Marvel Studios, and Disney+ and was made possible by the spatial computing capabilities of the Apple Vision Pro.

"What If... an Immersive Story" will be available for all Vision Pro users on May 30. It will be free to download "for a limited time" -- though no end date has been announced.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 825member
    I do not have a VisionPro, but maybe someone who does, can comment: these "immersive experiences" are just gimmicks, no? Impressive gimmicks, but no more.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 841member
    Currently, I guess you could call it gimmicks but this technology has to begin somewhere and continue to develop. It will be watching sports that will one day take the immersive experience to an everyday experience.
    ssfe11sflagelmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 706member
    Vision Pro won't massively take off until the price drops drastically like those flat screen TVs. By then there will be full length movies appearing left and right. No massive public demands, no go and it will stay as a niche forever.
    robin huberwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,978member
    sflagel said:
    I do not have a VisionPro, but maybe someone who does, can comment: these "immersive experiences" are just gimmicks, no? Impressive gimmicks, but no more.
    I did the demo and was dazzled. It truly is a look into the future. Exactly how this technology will finally end up going mainstream only time will tell. But as others have said, lots of available content, lower price, and frictionless use will make it happen. 
    paisleydiscosflagelroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    KumingaKuminga Posts: 34member
    sflagel said:
    Black Berry users in 2008 said IPhone was a gimmick…

some people and companies are visionaries, some are not…. No offense 
    edited May 23 MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 841member
    Vision Pro won't massively take off until the price drops drastically like those flat screen TVs. By then there will be full length movies appearing left and right. No massive public demands, no go and it will stay as a niche forever.
    Definitely it will be a niche device for those who do not want to use a computer, trackpad or keyboard and a tablet with touchscreen, along with a 100” screen to work and watch content on.
    williamlondonmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 825member
    Kuminga said:
    sflagel said:

I am not dissing the VisionPro, I am dissing the "immersive experiences" and that they seem to deserve an article on AI. A better analogy than the Blackberry are the apps on early iPhones that faked drinking beer out of a glass: they were gimmicks. No one bought an iPhone to use the iBeer app, nor did anyone "vision" the future of the iPhone based on the iBeer apps.
    edited May 23 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 706member
    Kuminga said:
    sflagel said:

First iPhone was affordable vs Vision Pro is not. If first iPhone were $3500, no massive adaptation will be taken place and Black Berry would still continue to survive. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,383member
    sflagel said:
    Kuminga said:
    sflagel said:

A better analogy than the Blackberry are the apps on early iPhones that faked drinking beer out of a glass: they were gimmicks. 
    Your analogy sucks. Those two are nothing alike. Until you actually experience one of these and can report how unimpressed they and you are, you've got no credibility. Demoing what the AVP can do is important to customers and developers and short immersive video "gimmicks" seem to be a logical way to do this, immersive being the operative word.

Any video device can display video, it's in the name. Not every displayed video is immersive. This is why I go to the movies and don't sit 75' back from the screen. Immersion for many is the difference between watching something on TV or being involved in a thrilling or joyful experience.

I suppose Apple could wait for some studio to make an actual movie, plot and/or character driven, and immersive to show off what the AVP can do. Or they can make some immersive shorts in the meantime. 

Given the price, short content won't be a big sales driver, but it will help dispel some internet chatter about "another Apple toy". Nothing gimmicky about that.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,383member
    Regarding Marvel's What if... series, I've never liked it. It strikes me as just another way for Marvel to wring every last cent out of their flagging franchises with minimal effort and investment in creating new great content.

And even so, if they make some bespoke APV video I'm headed to the nearest Apple Store ASAP. Being able to have an IMAX-like experience in your living room without a 100' OLED screen would be a thing of beauty.
    watto_cobra