Experience Immersive sizzle reel for Apple Vision Pro updated with new scenes, sports

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

Apple has updated the short sizzle reel included in the immersive video section of the Apple Vision Pro Apple TV app to include scenes from American football, basketball, and other content.

A screenshot taken on Apple Vision Pro showing the Immersive Experience in Apple TV
Apple Vision Pro Immersive Experience

Apple Vision Pro has had quite a slow rollout regarding exclusive content and software. As Apple approaches an apparent global launch, the pace of interesting content seems to be increasing.

Late Thursday, Apple updated the Experience Immersive sizzle reel with new content. It had remained unchanged since launch, minus the removal of a basketball scene.

There are a few notable pieces of new content within the sizzle reel, arranged in a different order with new music. It showcases the existing series already released, plus new episodes and sports content.

The now-released parkour episode of "Adventure" is featured throughout, plus a new "Wild" episode that will feature elephants. Scenes from the Super Bowl, which Apple Music sponsored, were also included.

As an American writing this piece, it's easy to say the soccer scenes in the original sizzle and follow-up championship video weren't all that compelling. However, seeing American football and basketball portrayed in such amazing locations felt much more exciting.

While we're likely years away from watching an entire game courtside, the demo is at least very compelling. Hopefully, Apple can increase the speed at which it can record, produce, and then release content to be faster than the 3 to six months it is now.

As AppleInsider shared in the Apple Vision Pro one-month review, it is Apple's job to sell this device, and the most compelling part of it is lacking. Minimal native software, immersive video, and games have been released since launch.

The new sizzle reel is exciting, but it would have been made much better if dates could have been inserted to show when new episodes might arrive. For now, the updated video serves as a useful reminder that more content is coming -- eventually.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    F I Z Z L E 
  • Reply 2 of 5
    yawn. wake me up when Apple takes it seriously 
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jellybellyjellybelly Posts: 126member
    It’ll take some time for developments in camera technology for stereoscopic shooting in various situations at 24 and 48 fps 8K and 12K by various entities that make these cameras.
    It’ll also take a while for producers to learn storytelling that involves cuts that may be different than what might be chosen in 2D cinema. 
    With development of cameras (Sony and others) there are considerations for sports with cameras, that are larger and heavier due to two sets of lenses for stereoscopic shooting. They need to have higher data throughput along with the production room doing live editing having an a tremendous amount of throughput with data coming in from 12 or more cameras. 

Stereoscopic effects are more evident in the camera position being close — not with zoom. How do you get closer to the action without interfering with the action in live events such as baseball, American football and soccer?

I can think of four entities working on this in sports and cinema: Apple of course; James Cameron and his Avatar 2 & 3 Cinematographer Russell Carpenter—both live shots and a large amount of virtual cameras; Disney with its stable of ESPN contracts (game reels after the game, then later live real time stereoscopic with a myriad of cameras and torrent of at least a dozen stereoscopic camera data to live editing production room, the virtual cameras in Marvel and PIXAR production and evolving changes in storytelling; and fourth, Industrial Light and Magic. Imagine the data stream of 48 fps at 8K. 

Much may being held back for WWDC in a few weeks. And another bunch to reveal at Fall iPhone release. The would be In a variety — eg. games, storytelling, sports, and use as in software creative tools such as in CAD and animation software, engineering development, education, medical visualization and guidance as well as medical education. 

Teasing and releasing content and new tools for a new product over the first year or two is Apple’s history in new product enhancement. 

StudioSouphmlongco
  • Reply 4 of 5
    BBoxBBox Posts: 1member

As an American writing this piece, it's easy to say the soccer scenes in the original sizzle and follow-up championship video weren't all that compelling. However, seeing American football and basketball portrayed in such amazing locations felt much more exciting.

What cringy writer's bias is this? "I am an American, therefore I cannot like soccer." You don't like soccer because you don't like soccer…not because you are an American. The eyes of every other American who likes soccer glaze over at weird framing devices like this.
    edited May 26 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Steve HumistonSteve Humiston Posts: 20unconfirmed, member
    Why is watching sports courtside years away? 2-3 years ago I did with my htc vive pro 2... I watched the nba/nfl in VR.. they even had wwe where you were right behind the buckle...

Now, they were NO WHERE near the quality that this immersive video is..  so because of resolution?