ICQ 1996-2024: The first universal messenger had a good run, and is leaving us soon

Posted:
in General Discussion

While you probably haven't thought about it in years, the first mainstream universal messenger app for the Mac and just about every other platform will finally be completely retired in June 2024.

Website page for the ICQ messaging app announcing its discontinuation as of June 26th, 2024
Owner Mail.ru's announcement that the messaging program is being discontinued

Twenty-eight years is a long time for an net-based app to survive. For many early internet adopters, ICQ -- "I Seek You" -- was their introduction to large-scale, real-time social and private chatting.

Launched in November of 1996, it gave users a simpler and more graphical app in order to chat with friends outside of the previous Internet Relay Chat (IRC) system, and an AOL messenger that was still constrained to the eponymous service.

More on AOL in a bit, though.

ICQ applications were initially available for users on Windows, Linux, and Mac. It quickly spread to other platforms like the Palm Pilot and early smartphones when those came along.

The software was entirely free to download and use, and remained ad-free until 2003.

The Rise and Fall of ICQ

The popularity of the program caused the nascent America Online service to buy it in 1998 for a total of $407 million. This allowed AOL to acquire the patents for the technology, and use it to develop its own AOL Instant Messenger program.

Screenshot of iChat app in use, with video chat, friends list, and text chatting windows open.
iChat (now Messages) was inspired by ICQ and its competitors.

AOL shut down its Instant Messanger app as a standalone service in 2017.

At its peak, ICQ had around 100 million active users. It was later superseded by AOL IM, MSN Messenger, Google Talk and other chat apps.

In its heyday, the service was so popular that the original version of Messages for the Mac in 2002, known then as iChat, would allow ICQ's User Identification Number (UIN) to add AOL Instant Messenger compatibility.

In 2010, the technology was sold to Digital Sky Technologies, which later changed its name to Mail.ru. The Russia-based company has continued to keep ICQ going, primarily as a smartphone app.

Its core user base is now around 11 million active users, mostly based in Russia.

In 2020, Mail.ru announced a new version, which they dubbed "ICQ New" in an effort to attract new users. As its popularity waned, the program started to be used more for illegal file sharing, because of the company's lack of moderation and automatic filters.

On May 24th, 2024, Mail.ru announced that it would be shutting down the ICQ service and website as of June 26th, 2024. The company has recommended its users switch to its other chat app, VK Messenger.

That mght be hard for most of AppleInsider's reader base, though. The company is blocking most US. Canadian, and UK addresses.

Read on AppleInsider

aroojali3432

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    NYC362NYC362 Posts: 89member
    I don't remember using ICQ all that much.  But you also mention IRC in the article and that had the capability to be amazing.

I will never forget getting into a chatroom the night of Princess Diana's fatal car accident (August 31, 1997) and there was one poster who was putting up information 15 minutes or so before all the news services at the time on TV and radio.  As the news was not good, people were cursing him.  I got into a private chat and he told me that his brother-in-law worked in the hospital she was brought too.  His server information did show Paris, and when he told me (he didn't want to post it publicly) that she had died, sure enough ten minutes later, the BBC (being simulcast by CBS here in the US) had the official bulletin.

That was the moment I realized just how powerful the Internet was going to be.
    DAalsethAnilu_777elijahgpaisleydiscoInspecterWrektumronnmuthuk_vanalingamgregoriusmwatto_cobraAlex_V
  • Reply 2 of 11
    dennyc69dennyc69 Posts: 30member
    I loved ICQ, it was a great program! The “uh-oh”  sound  it made when someone messaged me, it was something I never forgot. I could talk to people cross platform, transfer files at one point. I salute you ICQ!
    luke hamblyAniMillAnilu_777InspecterWrektumronngregoriusmsconosciutowatto_cobrapascal007Alex_V
  • Reply 3 of 11
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 170member
    dennyc69 said:
    I loved ICQ, it was a great program! The “uh-oh”  sound  it made when someone messaged me, it was something I never forgot. I could talk to people cross platform, transfer files at one point. I salute you ICQ!
    WOW!! I’d forgotten that “Uh oh.” !!  It was so cute and inviting. Yeah. Will miss this.
    Anilu_777ronngregoriusmsconosciutowatto_cobraAlex_V
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ronnronn Posts: 669member
    ICQ got me addicted to the internet! I was so amazed to be chatting with others in Canada, the UK, Australia, South America (I think Costa Rica? it's been a very, very long time) and all across the U.S. My twin hated the "uh-oh" sound, but I really loved it. Can't remember the last time I used it. Eventually Yahoo! Messenger became my go-to chat app because I hated AOL with a passion.
    sconosciutowatto_cobraAlex_V
  • Reply 5 of 11
    AlexeyVAlexeyV Posts: 14member
    I had an 5 digit UIN in 1997… RIP ICQ
    sconosciutowatto_cobraAlex_V
  • Reply 6 of 11
    How have MAGA Republicans not gravitated towards this Russia-based app, seeing as that’s the nation to which they owe their allegiance now…
    edited May 27 ronnwatto_cobraAlex_V
  • Reply 7 of 11
    riverkoriverko Posts: 229member
    It was my first instant messaging app i used. While the windows app was ok, mac client was terrible for me. Used an alternative client that was capable to run multiple messaging clients - adium. What i loved was the animated duck icon 😁
    edited May 27 ronnwatto_cobrapascal007Alex_V
  • Reply 8 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,377member
    How have MAGA Republicans not gravitated towards this Russia-based app, seeing as that’s the nation to which they owe their allegiance now…
    Heh. Maybe they would, but ICQ now blocks connections from North America and the UK.

Can't imagine why ...
    Alex_V
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Surprised that he was still alive. I haven't heard from him in a hundred years. And the fact that it is being closed is unfortunate news, because my entire youth was spent with it
    Alex_V
  • Reply 10 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,212member
    Was quickmail not cross platform? Email client with built in messaging. I guess enterprise only perhaps?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,368member
    It won’t brb?