This is the best look yet at Apple's immersive video cameras

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

Apple has not said how it shoots immersive video for the Apple Vision Pro, but photographs at an MLS game have revealed the camera rigs it uses.

Close-up of a black dual-lens camera setup on a rig with various cables anrd attachments.
Close-up of Apple's immersive video cameras (Source: Reddit)

There have been previous reports claiming to show a VR camera rig at what was said to be an Apple TV+ show. However, much clearer images of the cameras, and also notes on their deployment, have now been shown on Reddit by user Joe-notabot.

The full details of the rig aren't clear from the report. One photographed has a Dionic 26V 98 battery from the Anton Bauer company. That's a high-capacity 98Wh Lithium-Ion battery that typically retails for over $700.

Apple reportedly had eight cameras at the MLS game -- between the Portland Timbers and the Seattle Sounders -- with about half in fixed positions. Two were said to be adjacent to the goals, having an elevated position just inside the six yard box.

Close-up of a professional video camera with multiple cables, battery pack, and control panel. Background includes colorful posters and a green wall with the letters 'NW' visible.
Rear of the camera rig used to shoot the MLS game

One each was posted above the player bench, on a raised center line walkway section behind fans, and close to the touchline. The remaining three were mobile, being carried around by operators.

The operators, who would not discuss their work, were seen to swap storage cards at half time.

It's likely that Apple is still experimenting with how to record live sports in this format. So far only short clips of immersive sports video have been released.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,318member
    Oh gawd, that rig needs to be streamlined and mass produced and honestly this will be AVPro’s killer application but when?

Honestly even though I don’t watch sports it would induce me to almost buy an AVPro and a MLS subscription.  Would be great to have an AppleTV show filmed in immersion.  More my style.
    edited May 29 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    badmonk said:
    Oh gawd, that rig needs to be streamlined and mass produced and honestly this will be AVPro’s killer application but when?

Honestly even though I don’t watch sports it would induce me to almost buy an AVPro and a MLS subscription.  Would be great to have an AppleTV show filmed in immersion.  More my style.
    I don’t think the rig will be mass produced, but there will probably be another company that puts out a consumer product does the job well enough.  Apple is probably focused on their own content with the rig they’re using.  My guess is Canon or Blackmagic will have something for this format at some point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    damacguydamacguy Posts: 5member
    It looks like the camera body is from RED, which makes some awesome gear. That'd make sense. You can barely make out the name is the first show above the dual-lense add-on. The question is did RED work with Apple to modify the unit, or did Apple modify it themselves. This is a good sign for mass adoption though, RED is well respected in the industry.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    The second picture shows a slot-in dual-SSD cartridge of a design, I have not seen from SONY VENICE, RED, BlackMagic or CANON EOS.
    But until now, no off the shelf cam needed dual SSD cartridges anyway.
    Only Stereo3D rigs and VR180 need this.
    So - I'm very curious as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,085member
    Apple slowly building the needed infrastructure/ecosystem and not making a fuss about it I like it.......
    darbus69appleinsideruserAfarstarwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    davendaven Posts: 706member
    How does that camera compare to Canon’s EOS VR system? Seems like the Canon system would work for mainstream creators.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,430member
    damacguy said:
    It looks like the camera body is from RED, which makes some awesome gear. That'd make sense. You can barely make out the name is the first show above the dual-lense add-on. The question is did RED work with Apple to modify the unit, or did Apple modify it themselves. This is a good sign for mass adoption though, RED is well respected in the industry.
    Nikon purchased RED a short time ago, for those that were not aware of that.
    muthuk_vanalingam