Apple and OpenAI allegedly reach deal to bring ChatGPT functionality to iOS 18

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    personperson Posts: 33member
    I just wonder what kind of spying and privacy tromping tech is built into the back of this so called AI. 
    Probably everything they can think of
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 37
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 633member
    When has Apple been first to anything?
    Their forte has always been to improve on what is already there or what has been already missed.
    Don’t see anything any different here.
    edited May 30 tmay9secondkox2watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 23 of 37
    tomasulutomasulu Posts: 62member
    Even IF this is true, so what?  Siri doesn’t generate revenue, and Apple will not compromise security or privacy with any partnerships, so what would be the harm?  I really don’t care either way.  Offering different LLMs in the App Store might be interesting though.

The vast majority Apple’s business now is built upon what Steve has created or oversaw. At some point one has to ask when will this rich inheritance be spent and whether Apple can continue to innovate and thrive. I see no reason to believe that Apple will continue to be an innovator. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 37
    nubusnubus Posts: 462member
    MacPro said:
    avon b7 said:

If the Flintstones had access to these options, no doubt Siri would be a good fit for the times and it doesn't surprise me that its due for a huge AI overhaul (according to rumours). However, one of Apple's main Siri issues seems to be that there isn't one Siri for all devices but multiple Siris, all performing differently. 
    We'll see how it pans out in a few years. Similar sentiments were prevalent at the launch of many things Apple got into 'late' or 'not knowledgeable enough about.'  I have made millions not agreeing with those sentiments so far.

Fact is you could have made even more by switching your investment to Microsoft. Apple launched Neural Engine 7 years ago and had all the time to go first with LLM integrations. It seems Cook got side-tracked by copying Musk with Car and copying Zuckerberg with AVP. At least Cook didn't also copy Segway. And now we have Cook actively filling the coffers of Bill Gates.

Our devices to be powered by Microsoft innovations. There is no way to make this look good.
    avon b79secondkox2williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Hmmm not convinced they will do it as portrayed as there as some similar adoption use cases in the past that bit Apple while at the same time bought them time.

It makes sense for Apple to bundle a LLM service into their iCloud+ subscription, be it OpenAI or Anthropic. Google's Gemini is a no-go since they are embedding it into Android and also since they are already in hot water with the Google search deal.

Would not an option be to lean into the OSS movement and I am also thinking that if Apple takes Llama 3 and throws a lot of tuning and compute at it could form the core of a service offering as well?

I think they will go Apple in house for Siri given that they have great on device models already in open source.

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    danox said:
    We shall see I anticipate Apple will temporarily use OpenAI like they used Google for Maps until they get their version online.......Note the Google geeks are still up in arms about it like many in tech are still mad about Apple dumping Intel keeping AMD and Nvidia at arms length with their SOC designs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/1cwdlak/notebookcheck_apple_m4_soc_analysis_amd_intel_and/ Geek Meltdown :smile: 
    According to the latest rumors, Apple previous chipsets are not powerful enough (or marketing wants to say they aren't) to run the latest AI services. They'll only be fully available to A17 and up devices. 
  • Reply 27 of 37
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,430member
    For anyone interested, here'a a link to a recent Stanford University AI report;

https://aiindex.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/HAI_AI-Index-Report-2024.pdf

It's on the order of 500 pages, for those that are into a deep dive...
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 37
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,889member
    Why would apple need to reach a deal. 

It’s already on the App Store. That’s all it needs to be. 

Apple should have their own ai. 

Apples is building OS “hooks” to allow ai to operate the OS, but with safeguards. That should be the only thing needed to share with chat gpt and other 3rd party apps - if the user wants. 

We should also be able to keep chat gpt and the company open aI out of our devices. 

If “Apple’s AI” is built on top of gpt, that would suck and I think would hurt public perception as to apples capabilities. 

Apple needs to have its own, all-apple AI. IF GOOGLE could build one (a very flawed and biased and scary one) and if open si can build one and if Microsoft can build one, why the heck would apple need those? They all suck in various ways as it is. Just build a much better one. 

edited May 31 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 37
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,078member
    gatorguy said:
    danox said:
    We shall see I anticipate Apple will temporarily use OpenAI like they used Google for Maps until they get their version online.......Note the Google geeks are still up in arms about it like many in tech are still mad about Apple dumping Intel keeping AMD and Nvidia at arms length with their SOC designs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/1cwdlak/notebookcheck_apple_m4_soc_analysis_amd_intel_and/ Geek Meltdown :smile: 
    According to the latest rumors, Apple previous chipsets are not powerful enough (or marketing wants to say they aren't) to run the latest AI services. They'll only be fully available to A17 and up devices. 

If that is true then why didn't OpenAI use Microsofts Windows hardware in any of their public demonstrations? Is not up to OpenAI ultimately to make their software work on Apple hardware that's Apple job. OpenAI will be used like Google Maps or Intel cpu's not for long.

https://doublepulsar.com/recall-stealing-everything-youve-ever-typed-or-viewed-on-your-own-windows-pc-is-now-possible-da3e12e9465e Apple has clowns on the left Microsoft and Jokers to the right of them in Google (glue and pizza are good for you?)..... I think Apple will be able to navigate their way around them tech-wise with solutions that work.
    edited May 31 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 37
    danox said:
    gatorguy said:
    danox said:

If that is true then why didn't OpenAI use Microsofts Windows hardware in any of their public demonstrations?
    No idea. Microsoft has so perhaps OpenAI feels it's already been proven on that platform. 
    If the rumors are correct that Apple's full AI suite won't work with anything older than an iPhone 15 Pro, maybe Apple will explain why. 
    edited May 31
  • Reply 31 of 37
    PED reports Microsoft wants a cut of whatever OpenAI is getting from Apple. 
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Hmm one wonders if Apple will announce an investment into OpenAI since it’s still private and they have lots of cash and can guarantee them access to 100’s of million of users. 
  • Reply 33 of 37
    geekmee said:
    When has Apple been first to anything?
    Their forte has always been to improve on what is already there or what has been already missed.
    Don’t see anything any different here.
    lol, what?
    They were the ones bragging about the thinnest laptop (MacBook Air), the first adding some model of Intel CPUs, etc.
    Apple used to have a lot of technology way before everyone else.

Then Tim Cook took over, and people are very excited that that Apple has become the last to do things.
    LOL  since Ccok took over Apple was first to design their own custom chips for the  MacBooks (now everyone is copying them) then they were first with 64bit ARM (remember how the androids laughed at them for doing this - who needs 64bits).   Of course under Jobs, Apple invented Lisa and then the Mac ( first to bring GUI OS to the PC), then invented the iPod and the iPhone which were kinda big deals in music and phone revolutions.  But yeah didn’t do much but copy, okay I believe you are referring to those copy cats up in Redmond, WA. 
    danox
  • Reply 34 of 37
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,078member
    gatorguy said:
    Does Microsoft own 51% of the company OpenAI? If not......
  • Reply 35 of 37
    danox said:
    gatorguy said:
    OpenAI is depending on Microsoft servers to deliver content to Apple iPhones.  MS says they will need to expand their server capacity to accommodate OpenAI's plans. So I get it, and probably agree they deserve a cut. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 37
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,430member
    gatorguy said:
    danox said:
    gatorguy said:
    OpenAI is depending on Microsoft servers to deliver content to Apple iPhones.  MS says they will need to expand their server capacity to accommodate OpenAI's plans. So I get it, and probably agree they deserve a cut. 
    MS should definitely get a cut...

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft/the-enormity-of-microsofts-windows-phone-shut-down-mistake-is-becoming-increasingly-clear-in-the-ai-era