Spirit Airlines pays off victim after Apple Watch proves her luggage was stolen

Posted:
in Apple Watch

A woman in Fort Lauderdale believed her Spirit Airlines luggage was lost forever, until her Apple Watch notified her that the MacBook Pro in it was now in a nearby house.

Apple Watch displaying a location map for 'William's MacBook Pro', indicating it is near a primary school in England with a date of 30/05/2024.
An Apple Watch Find My alert like this one led Garcia to her stolen luggage

Usually it's an AirTag that alerts travellers to lost and stolen luggage, and it's possible that's what happened here, too. What's sure is that Spirit Airlines has joined the ranks of aviation firms lying about lost luggage.

According to Florida's Local10 News, traveller Paola Garcia originally waited for two hours at Carousel 4 inside Terminal 4 at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. Ordinarily, she says, she carries on her pink hard-shell suitcase, but this time had been ordered to check it -- and then it vanished.

It's not clear when this happened, nor is it fully known what the case contained. However, it certainly had a MacBook Pro, an iPad, jewelry, designer clothes and for some reason two Apple Watches.

While Spirit Airlines employees insisted the luggage would be sent directly to her house, the next day she got an alert on a third Apple Watch. It was most likely a Find My alert, saying that her MacBook Pro or iPad had been left behind, and were last seen at a particular address.

That address was a residence near Garcia, and she decided to go to it.

"Yes," she told Local 10, "because I said how can Spirit deliver my suitcase there? [And] because I needed my computer... I have test that day."

Arriving at the house, she saw suitcases littered around it, so she called the police. "The first thing the police told me was like, 'What are you doing here? This is so dangerous for you to be here."

Person in an office setting wrapping an object in plastic. A cluttered round table with chairs, paper rolls, and office supplies are nearby.
Security footage of Bazile with Garcia's pink suitcase (Source: via Local 10 News, Florida)

An investigation by a Broward Sheriff's Office detective determined that 29-year-old Junior Bazile who lived there, worked at the airport and was on shift when the incident happened. Security camera footage at the airport showed Bazile going through Garcia's suitcase and removing items.

It's unclear from the report just what the sequence of events was between Garcia's alert and Bazile being arrested. However, by the time he was taken into custody, he had reportedly disposed of most of her items.

Bazile has been charged with grand theft. Spirit Airlines later made a statement saying that it has refunded Garcia for the items, but also denied any responsibility.

"We issued a reimbursement check to the guest as a courtesy, even though we are not currently aware of any evidence that any Spirit employee was involved," said an airline spokesperson. "We take any allegation of this nature seriously, and we are investigating."

Garcia says she does not believe that Bazile acted alone.

"Personally, I don't think it's one person working in the airport, I think it's a group," she said. "One person can't just do that, take bags."

Separately, Florida was also recently the scene of a crash in which a cyclist was hit by a car whose driver then fled the scene. But one of the cyclist's AirPods had been knocked off into the SUV, and again it was Apple's Find My that led authorities to an arrest.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 168member
    "We issued a reimbursement check to the guest as a courtesy, even though we are not currently aware of any evidence that any Spirit employee was involved," said an airline spokesperson. "We take any allegation of this nature seriously, and we are investigating."

No way Spirit Airlines is going to shell out money without being "aware" that they were responsible. The work schedule, footage, and geotagging are substantial evidence.  
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    The airline compelled the lady to check her bag, and then an airport employee rifled it and took what he wanted.  Had it not been for Spirit, the incident would not have occurred.  In my view, they're liable beyond whatever 'courtesy' they choose to offer.

Baggage handlers and porters are the 'weakest link' in TSA's perimeter.   Absent a thorough background check - which obviously didn't happen in this case, unless this was young Bazile's first rodeo - there's no real back-of-house security that will prevent another terrorist disaster.

If anyone wants to argue this point, I'd be happy to be told I'm wrong.  I fly frequently, and this is a constant worry of mine.

iOS_Guy80jamnapronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 641member
    Who in their right mind checks a computer?
    speedbird9watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 91member
    jimh2 said:
    Who in their right mind flies Spirit!
    speedbird9narwhalMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    XedXed Posts: 2,686member
    jimh2 said:
    I checked a Mac laptop, iPad, Apple Watch, and a whole bunch of other CE in a suitcase that only had clothes in it for padding. The suitcase and its CE contents were from a family member that wouldn't be using it so I was bringing it home to get it repurposed.

I had access to Find My on the devices so I could track it that way but I also put AirTags in the bag to track it.
    edited June 5 speedbird9ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    jamnap said:
    jimh2 said:
    I did..once.  I’ve sworn I’ll never do it again.  QUESTION:  Who the hell told her she had to put her tech in a checked bag?  Mine comes with me on the plane and that’s not negotiable.  
    narwhalbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I frequently fly; I'm an amateur photographer and sometimes have my camera gear with me, as well as a MacBook and an iPad. All of this gear is never checked, no matter what the airline demands. If they refuse to let me board, so be it. There is nowhere I have to be that is so urgent that I'll let my gear be checked and then stolen, which it will be. And no matter what a gate agent promises about security and compensation, the airlines will not honor such promises. The gate agent's job is to get you on the plane, not speak for the airline.

Some tips if you are in this situation --

-- tell the gate agent that you have lithium batteries in your gear. Lots of them and they aren't removable (or if they are, you have many of them, like my dozen camera batteries). Lithium batteries can't go into checked luggage. Now your gear and bag are back with you.

-- tell the gate agent that you have medication in the bag (don't lie about this, they may ask to see it). Their rules won't allow them to separate you from your medications. Now your bag is back with you.

-- consolidate your tech gear into the one under-seat bag you that you are allowed. Sucks to do at the gate but one should never, ever put tech into a checked bag. As long as that bag fits under the seat you're good.

Never, ever check a bag containing your tech gear.
    speedbird9beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,385member
    This article could use a lot more detail but it seems unavailable at the time of posting.

My guess is her bag itself was deemed not qualifying as carryon. This seems almost a whim of airlines. Friends who fly often and not always with the same airline say what is carryon on some airlines is not on others. Or that one some occasions sometimes on allowed by an airline where it previously was.

Not flying since before TSA, I don't know the rules. My carryon was once deemed too big and had to be checked. I removed a laptop in a padded case and carried that onboard, no issue. Would that be allowed today?

Spirit said:
    We issued a reimbursement check to the guest as a courtesy, even though we are not currently aware of any evidence that any Spirit employee was involved
    Spirit has some balls. There's video, they pay off, but say not currently aware? Without video they wouldn't have paid off despite any other evidence. A cautionary tale. 
    stompyronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    macgui said:
    This article could use a lot more detail but it seems unavailable at the time of posting.

My guess is her bag itself was deemed not qualifying as carryon. This seems almost a whim of airlines. Friends who fly often and not always with the same airline say what is carryon on some airlines is not on others. Or that one some occasions sometimes on allowed by an airline where it previously was.

Not flying since before TSA, I don't know the rules. My carryon was once deemed too big and had to be checked. I removed a laptop in a padded case and carried that onboard, no issue. Would that be allowed today?
    Spirit said:
    We issued a reimbursement check to the guest as a courtesy, even though we are not currently aware of any evidence that any Spirit employee was involved
    Spirit has some balls. There's video, they pay off, but say not currently aware? Without video they wouldn't have paid off despite any other evidence. A cautionary tale. 
    1) Yes, you could do that without issue. You'll have to stow it during take off and landing, but that sounds like it would even fit in the pouch behind the seat.

2) So you haven't flown since before 9/11, I take it, as the TSA was created in November 2001. That's incredible! Flying has indeed changed since then in many ways and not for the better. Besides TSA adding time and being inconsistent with procedures, airlines give you less room, uncharge you for a few inches of extra legroom in coach (which they call Premium), you get no checked bag for free in coach, and if you do only have a carry on you may be forced to leave it at the jetway so it can put into the cargo hold with the other baggage if there isn't room above you in the cabin. 
    muthuk_vanalingamronnspeedbird9watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ransonranson Posts: 76member
    macgui said:
    Spirit said:
    The perpetrator was an Airport employee, not an Airline employee. Airport employees have nothing to do with the Airlines that run flights out of said airport. The statement by Spirit is accurate.
    speedbird9watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    ranson said:
    macgui said:
    Spirit said:
    The perpetrator was an Airport employee, not an Airline employee. Airport employees have nothing to do with the Airlines that run flights out of said airport. The statement by Spirit is accurate.
    While it's true that airports have their own baggage handlers it is not accurate to say that it's not the responsibility of the airline. The airline is responsible for the entire baggage process once you've checked your bag.

https://www.transportation.gov/lost-delayed-or-damaged-baggage
    https://syrairport.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Who-Does-What-In-The-Airport.pdf
    muthuk_vanalingamnarwhalronnMplsPbeowulfschmidtcharlesatlaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Xed said:
    While it's true that airports have their own baggage handlers it is not accurate to say that it's not the responsibility of the airline. The airline is responsible for the entire baggage process once you've checked your bag.

https://syrairport.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Who-Does-What-In-The-Airport.pdf
    Did anyone say it was not the airline's responsibility? No? Didn't think so. The Airline actually reimbursed the traveler; and their statement simply said that no Spirit employee has been implicated. Again, that is completely accurate. I know we all hate Spirit (and I have never flown them), but they did everything right in handling this situation.
    edited June 5 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ranson said:
    Xed said:

Did anyone say it was not the airline's responsibility? No? Didn't think so. The Airline actually reimbursed the traveler; and their statement simply said that no Spirit employee has been implicated. Again, that is completely accurate. I know we all hate Spirit (and I have never flown them), but they did everything right in handling this situation.
    You stated that "Airport employees have nothing to do with the Airlines that run flights out of said airport" which is not the case as I posted with links that show that the airlines are responsible for what airport employees do with passenger baggage. Perhaps you didn't intend it, but I think your comment is — at best — ambiguous as to who is ultimately responsible for checked luggage and completely inaccurate to claim that "Airport employees have nothing to do with the Airlines that run flights out of said airport.' I can think of a dozen jobs outside of baggage handlers where an airport employee is directly involved with the airlines: from ATC jobs directing ground and air traffic, to food service and fuel for flights, to tug operators pushing back airplanes there are clearly many jobs where non-airline employees have something to do with airlines at an airport.
    edited June 5 ronnMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Xed said:
    You stated that "Airport employees have nothing to do with the Airlines that run flights out of said airport" which is not the case as I posted with links that show that the airlines are responsible for what airport employees do with passenger baggage. Perhaps you didn't intend it, but I think your comment is — at best — ambiguous as to who is ultimately responsible for checked luggage and completely inaccurate to claim that "Airport employees have nothing to do with the Airlines that run flights out of said airport.' I can think of a dozen jobs outside of baggage handlers where an airport employee is directly involved with the airlines: from ATC jobs directing ground and air traffic, to food service and fuel for flights, to tug operators pushing back airplanes there are clearly many jobs where non-airline employees have something to do with airlines at an airport.
    My sense is that you continue to take that statement completely out of context and define it for your purposes solely for the sake of continuing to argue. If you read my original post (including my quote of macgui's posting that I was replying to), my point was to correct macgui's incorrect belief that Spirit staff was involved in the actual crime, when in fact they were not - it was airport staff that committed the crime. That was all.

But to be clear: the suspect was not a security screener, etc.; he worked at Paradies, a retail store in the airport, which - surprise! - has nothing to do with the airlines or their operations! According to the police report, he simply walked down to baggage claim, grabbed a random bag off belt 4, and took it back to the store's storage room to rummage through it. 

You keep looking past relevant context to perpetuate an argument about something I am not even disagreeing with, just for the sake of arguing. Sheesh. This is the kind of back and forth that makes me want to just not engage in this community any longer.
    edited June 5 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,965member
    jimh2 said:
    She says she was forced to check her carryon, probably happened at the gate when all the overhead bins were full

jamnap said:
    jimh2 said:
    Yes, that's the real question!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16

Arriving at the house, she saw suitcases littered around it, so she called the police.
    Brilliant. Advertise that you're stealing things by leaving evidence out in public. Might as well just put on a T-shirt that says, "I'm a thief. Arrest me."
    watto_cobra