Adobe's new terms of service unacceptably gives them access to all of your projects, for f...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    HevskiHevski Posts: 3member
    gatorguy said:
    Wow. That’s pure evil. 

Is the exact thing Google does. 

Only Google doesn’t charge you an arm and a leg subscription pricing. 

What the heck? 
    Actually Google allows Opt-Out, and in most cases that's the default. A user has to actively Opt-In to data sharing. They've also improved on their general data privacy with map location tracking and history now stored on personal devices rather than at Google, and which follows their 2 years earlier decision to no longer use Gmail contents for key-wording or other advertisement purposes. 

It's common for many of the AI systems to collect user data, anonymized or not, and Opt-out provision vary. Some make it hard, some make it easy, and some just don't have opt-out as an option.
    https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-stop-your-data-from-being-used-to-train-ai/

Since iOS10 you've given Apple permission to collect some of your data for training ML/AI, "anonymized" of course, though you probably weren't aware of it being disclosed in the ToS you agree to. Nobody reads'em.

Some data sharing on your iDevices like Apple TV was once automatically opt-in, and users had to be aware of a setting to Opt out. I think they've corrected that misjudgment now, but you know who doesn't get it?

We’re updating our Privacy Policy as we expand AI at Meta

Hi (fill in your name)

We’re getting ready to expand our AI at Meta experiences to your region. AI at Meta is our collection of generative AI features and experiences, such as Meta AI and AI creative tools, along with the models that power them.

What this means for you

To help bring these experiences to you, we’ll now rely on the legal basis called legitimate interests for using your information to develop and improve AI at Meta. This means that you have the right to object to how your information is used for these purposes. If your objection is honoured, it will be applied from then on.

We’re including updates in our Privacy Policy to reflect these changes. The updates come into effect on 26 June 2024.

Thanks,
    The Meta Privacy team

I just wanted to say, it is very easy to opt out of Meta using your content for AI, I haven’t done it yet for Instagram, but I have opted out for my Facebook accounts, it’s almost immediate if you reply to the above message from Meta, via the email address used for each account. 
  • Reply 42 of 43
    No surprise.  This is just a continuation of what they’ve been doing all along.  As long as users keep putting up with this crap, they will keep pushing.  The user has always been the product with this company — best thing to do is close your account, and encourage others to do the same.  The only way they will change is if their income is affected.
    No need to close your Facebook account, you can easily opt out of Meta using your data and content for AI. It’s not a hard thing, and I am still able to use Facebook like everyone else, if probably helps though that I live in a European country. But it’s an immediate reply and confirmation after using the email address attached to the Facebook account..
    edited June 11
  • Reply 43 of 43
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    It's not yet clear if they are taking our content and using it for their own AI training purposes or just poorly explaining that they need the permissions to do what users request of their AI. Since there is no "Opt-Out," as I presume the EU would require if they were accessing your private data, I suspect it's the latter.

Adobe needs to explain things far better, and soon.
    Now if you were talking about Meta instead, yeah they really are claiming ownership of your Facebook interactions for training their LLM models. 
    The terms are vague enough so that they can claim we accepted the usage.
    Apple made essentially the same changes to their ToS on March 31st this year, but they've buried it in a lengthy explanation of terms and rights.  

"Except to the extent prohibited by law, you hereby grant Apple a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, nonexclusive license to use the materials you submit within the Services and related marketing as well as to use the materials you submit for Apple internal purposes , Apple may monitor and decide to remove or edit any submitted material, including via automated content filters and/or human review." 

It seems as though Apple is announcing a claim of rights to use your submitted content in Apple Photos. Apple Mail, "other Apple service", for unspecified internal Apple projects including for AI training doesn't it?

And this is a ToS you can't opt out of, unlike Adobe. 
    With Apple Photos, does that refer to things uploaded to the Cloud, or even just on the device. As I don’t upload anything to their Cloud (if I can help it)..