Siri is reborn in iOS 18 -- everything Apple's voice assistant will be able to do

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,495member
    BarbR said:
    It would be nice if Siri would play requested purchased iTunes music on iPhone or HomePod. Example: when asked to play ‘Beethoven Complete Symphonies album,’ and all possible request formats, what plays is The Beatles’ Roll over Beethoven 100% of the time, Forget a piece like Zigeunerweisen by Pablo de Sarasate (at least Siri now finds the composer by the correct pronounciation of his name). Didn’t Apple purchase a classical music app or business?
    At present, at least, the reason your vague request fails is fairly obvious.

“Play THE ALBUM Beethoven Complete Symphonies BY (NAME OF ORCHESTRA)” would probably yield much more accurate results.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 43
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,896moderator
    dewme said:
    I’m not planning to seek out ways to utilize AI features in all of these apps. I’ll keep using these apps as I always have and see if the AI-ness somehow intervenes in subtle ways to make the user experience better for me. In other words, I expect the AI to adapt to me, not for me to adapt to the AI

Hmm, humans naturally make requests using their voice but must learn to make those same requests via keyboards and other computer interaction elements.   So, if an AI could just let you ask it to do something using your words, would that not be adapting to you?  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 43
    One of the greatest features AI or Apple could provide for the mail app is a WORKING rule/filter/ intelligent ‘look’ at spam email.

When it’s plain as day to any actual person looking at the subject line, sender, or brief 3 word ‘glance’ at the content of the email and it still can’t be picked up by rule, junk filter or whatever mail app tool is being utilized? 

It’s highly irritating if not infuriating that this still needs manual deleting it move to trash or even move to junk folder.  Adjusted the settings several times to no avail.

…. rant is over
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 43
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,041member
    Of course, reaching this Promised Land with Siri is all predicated on being able to consistently understand language, a capability that has eluded Siri for 14 years and counting. Who knows, maybe the 15th time is the charm, but count me as skeptical until proven. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 43
    AI, as it currently is, is not artificial intelligence.  It is just the next level of processing.  Calling it AI is a great sales’ pitch, though.
    sflagelwilliamlondonMrBunsidewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,654member
    dewme said:
    I’m not planning to seek out ways to utilize AI features in all of these apps. I’ll keep using these apps as I always have and see if the AI-ness somehow intervenes in subtle ways to make the user experience better for me. In other words, I expect the AI to adapt to me, not for me to adapt to the AI

Hmm, humans naturally make requests using their voice but must learn to make those same requests via keyboards and other computer interaction elements.   So, if an AI could just let you ask it to do something using your words, would that not be adapting to you?  
    People don't naturally talk to computers. They've learned to talk to computers for various reasons including hands-free operations, visual impairment, and after being conditioned to talk to computers either because it's the primary or only means of interacting with the computer (like HomePod) or as a learned convenience that they are comfortable with to establish an acceptable level of trustworthiness. This may change with "Generation AI" babies who may start talking to computers at the same time they are learning to talk with humans like Mom and Dad.

I'm not anti-AI at all, I'm simply waiting for the AI enablement that finds it way into the apps and products that I use every day to provide me with a reason to change what is already natural for me, i.e., talking to humans and interacting with computers using the learned methods I have acquired over my computing life. I started with punch cards, then teletypes, to dumb terminals, to primitive command line only operating systems, to pseudo-graphical interfaces based on ASCII character extensions, to bitmapped graphical interfaces with pointing devices, and now everything from gestures to voice interaction. At every transition the benefits of the new methods were readily apparent so I sought them out rather than clinging to current standards. It's always been a pull model, not a push model, except with HomePod unless I resort to AirPlay. I occasionally use CarPlay with voice interaction. I'm comfortable with Siri voice control on HomePod and CarPlay for the most part, but it does occasionally feel like I'm interacting with a robotic idiot.

I think Apple overplayed their hand with Siri when it was rolled out with iPhone 4s. Giving it a cute name along with an impressive launch demonstration created an illusion of it being an anthropomorphic entity living in your phone. This set a high level of expectations and promises with users even when Apple labeled it as beta. Users referring to it as "she" only reinforced the illusion of humans talking to a near-human entity. The bar was set way too high by users and Apple could never produce a Siri version that came close to matching user expectations.

There's a lot more to AI than voice interaction, and it's those opportunities that excite me the most. I worked on a product development project that was built around using ML for fault prediction, downtime avoidance, and root cause analysis in process control and manufacturing systems. We actually did integrate voice interaction using Alexa but it was optional and somewhat of a trade show demo queen compared the value of the underlying domain specific ML always working behind the scenes at all times collecting realtime data coupled with historical data trying to keep everything running. Was it perfect? Nope, but it was very helpful and a good first step along the path that could be only improved with a lot more data behind it. In the last few years many of the improvements in AI/ML have improved significantly because of the significant increase in size and breadth of the data driving the learning process.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    IMHO, It's a real shame Apple Insider leaked all this before WWDC. It's the equivalent of the neighbor telling the children what Santa is bringing on the day before Christmas.
    williamlondondewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 43
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 838member
    Him. Do I read this list correctly that Siri will not be able to create a new Note, only Note folders? And we still won’t be able to add tags in Notes created via ShareSheet? 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 43
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,896moderator
    sflagel said:
    Him. Do I read this list correctly that Siri will not be able to create a new Note, only Note folders? And we still won’t be able to add tags in Notes created via ShareSheet? 
    You can ask Siri today to add a note and give it a title.

”hey siri, add a note entitled Siri Adds Notes.”
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 43
    dpkrohdpkroh Posts: 44member
    Arghhh..... no mention of the app where Siri desperately needs to be improved - the Home App.  Right now it is terrible for voice control.  Most of the time we want to change a setting in the home we are not on our devices.  IMO that makes it the MOST important app for Siri improvements, as Siri is the most common way to interact with the Home app.
    williamlondondewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 43
    AI, as it currently is, is not artificial intelligence.  It is just the next level of processing.  Calling it AI is a great sales’ pitch, though.
    I came to ask the same, thinking maybe I was missing something. Siri isn't figuring out how to do something it wasn't previously trained on. There shouldn't be a list of what the new OS can do - it should be open-ended. 

I'd be happy if Siri asked ME to teach it new things. When I say, "Log my medication," Siri should not say, "I can't do that." Instead, it should say, "Teach me what you want to do," and then learn from that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 43
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,684member
    There is no reason I should have to verbally address Siri if I'm looking at the iPhone's screen. Any time that I'm looking at my iPhone (or iPad) and talking, it should realize that I'm talking to Siri.

This should also apply to iMacs since they have permanent cameras on them, plus a power cable.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,684member

Xed said:
    grom007 said:
    I would like multiple language support as well as siri finally supporting the Polish language.
    1) I'm surprised Polish hasn't already been added.
    Siri lacks polish... and Polish.

I've probably been waiting 40 years to make that joke.
    XedMrBunside
  • Reply 34 of 43
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,717member
    Siri should be able to do adjust any setting we can adjust with taps.    

Shut down the phone, restart the phone, open any app, switch to any app, save an image, delete, an image, etc.   

These aren’t AI commands, though.   There’s nothing intelligent about voice control. 

I’d like to see Siri commands to take a photo.  Sometimes, I can’t reach the button or trigger a photo and would like to activate it with my voice.   Simple, but that’s not AI.   

AND STOP PLAYING Apple Music when I want it from my Library,   I don’t use Apple Music and never will.   
  • Reply 35 of 43
    XedXed Posts: 2,806member

Xed said:
    grom007 said:
    I would like multiple language support as well as siri finally supporting the Polish language.
    1) I'm surprised Polish hasn't already been added.
    Siri lacks polish... and Polish.

I've probably been waiting 40 years to make that joke.
    😂👍
    22july2013
  • Reply 36 of 43
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,041member
    dpkroh said:
    Arghhh..... no mention of the app where Siri desperately needs to be improved - the Home App.  Right now it is terrible for voice control.  Most of the time we want to change a setting in the home we are not on our devices.  IMO that makes it the MOST important app for Siri improvements, as Siri is the most common way to interact with the Home app.
    Absolutely. I"m 100% Apple except when it comes to voice control of home devices because the sheer suckiness of Siri has forced me to go with Echo Dots and Alexa. I really hope Apple proves me wrong, but I'm seriously doubtful that Apple is going to pull off the execution of this Siri revolution. It just doesn't add up for me. They can't get a friggin' voice assistant fixed in 14 years of trying after buying the company that created Siri--and now Siri has suddenly blossomed into AI Einstein/Master of the Universe? I'm sorry, but why has there been zero evidence of this amazing Siri engineering team for the past decade and a half? I have no doubt we'll hear a lot of big, exciting promises this week, but what will matter most is execution and how well the new Siri actually works IRL. As of today, Siri still sucks. But hey... if Apple can prove me wrong, I'll happily replace my Dots with HomePod Minis. 
    edited June 10 muthuk_vanalingamdasjettawilliamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 43
    I find it telling about Apple’s logic for customers who spend big amounts of money on their products.  I mean the voice memo update probably won’t even open the app by using Siri.  You will probably have to click on the app icon to get to the new features.  I mean also, why did it take all of these years since iPhone has been ion the market to come up with a Password application? Or why does the Photos app not be able to recognize the difference between my dogs.  I have two Pugs, one black, one fawn and the photos app can only see them as one pet.  These are the type of selfish non-coward thinking or I say just plain STINGY APPLE DOING THE BARE MINIMUM IN THEIR PRODUCTS.  I wonder if they added the functionality to have Siri curse you out if you don’t like the fact that she doesn’t really do anything useful.  lol.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 43
    No mention of improvements to the Home app. Specifically the ability to give commands to turn on / off multiple devices with a single verbal command. Ex, Siri, turn on lamp one and two. Sad
    edited June 10 appleisslowwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Where are the updates to the filters in Photos, Camera and FaceTime.  Not as fun using these apps as opposed to Facebook Messenger or Snapchat.  I mean Apple can at least add some AI FUNctionality to those apps.  But no comic book is the best we are going to get, while every other camera and FaceTime conversation has you looking like you haven’t had a wink of sleep in the last 50 years.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Nothing in Pages or Numbers?
    williamlondon