'Apple Intelligence' at the core of next-gen Apple hardware, services

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 9

Apple's forthcoming "Apple Intelligence" features will be the key to both future software and future hardware, including all-new device launches.

iPhone with a colorful Siri animation is laying on a white computer keyboard.
Improvements to Siri and health monitoring will be at the core of future Apple hardware.

A new report from Bloomberg makes clear that the company believes its new "Apple Intelligence" technology, after years in development, will be the key tool to enhance its drive to further expand productivity and health initiatives. It will also provide the basis of future hardware beyond the current iPhone, iPad, Mac and accessories hardware.

Over the rest of the 2020s, Apple hopes to offer products in such areas as home robotics, advanced AirPod devices, augmented-reality glasses, smart rings, and more. Smarter and more intuitive enhancements to existing features such as Siri could be joined by AI-based features such as health coaching, leveraging new sensors to provide further health data to existing or new hardware.

Future devices

Following on from the abandoned "Apple Car" research project, Apple is allegedly looking into hardware that builds on the technology of devices such as the Apple Vision Pro. The company is said to be investigating home robotics that could, for example, assist mobility-limited users with common household chores.

Speculation on what form factors such hardware might use vary, but the ability of an iPad-like interactive screen in the main rooms of a home -- or one that could transport itself around the house -- would prove useful to a wide variety of users. Such a device would leverage the enhancements coming to Siri and other Apple technologies to control smart devices by voice or other input.

Small Astro robot with display reading 'On Patrol' stands on floor near orange chairs and grey cabinets.
Amazon's Astro could be a preview of a future Apple home robot.

The technologies Apple has showcased in its existing and future iterations of the Apple Vision Pro are another area that will benefit from Apple Intelligence enhancements. As has already been widely speculated, existing and future VR-type headsets will bring augmented reality down to sunglasses-type visors that seamlessly integrate information into the users' field of view.

Such future products will rely heavily on voice control, and users should start seeing an enhanced Siri as the key to many future Apple hardware devices. The next few years will bring rapid changes in technology to all device makers, and big investments in software and hardware will be required.

With its expected 2024 WWDC keynote, Apple will be laying out some of its plans for both short-term and long-term Apple AI initiatives that will assist users. This will make for considerable evolution for both device manufacturers and users over the next decade and beyond.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,613member
    When I leave my house for two days or more, I'm supposed to have someone check in on it every other day, or my insurance may not pay me for things like water leaks. Would an AI-powered robot that can check for water/fire and other kinds of damage allow me (without violating my insurance agreement) to leave home for a week without having to give someone my house keys? If so, perhaps I would go on more vacations.
    edited June 9 coolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    omasouomasou Posts: 602member
    Just turn off the water where it enters the house. Duh!
    coolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,369member
    Boy I hope they are wrong about the name "Apple Intelligence" seems such an obvious misstep. "Swift Intelligence" maybe understandable as an umbrella to all the open source work Apple sponsors in AI and as a common interface at API level for developers. 

Even then as there is no casual inference in marketing the choice of such a name can't be removed from all the other times it is used in branding as a way of hiding something. 
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 551member
    When I leave my house for two days or more, I'm supposed to have someone check in on it every other day, or my insurance may not pay me for things like water leaks. Would an AI-powered robot that can check for water/fire and other kinds of damage allow me (without violating my insurance agreement) to leave home for a week without having to give someone my house keys? If so, perhaps I would go on more vacations.
    Why not just a nanny-cam? Stepson uses one to keep an eye on the dog when they're out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    No such thing exists and even if it did, your contract with your insurance company (please read it because many don't) would have to specifically state that it's ok for a robot to do that. If it does not, they aren't paying regardless of how good the technology is 
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,275member
    mattinoz said:
    Boy I hope they are wrong about the name "Apple Intelligence" seems such an obvious misstep. "Swift Intelligence" maybe understandable as an umbrella to all the open source work Apple sponsors in AI and as a common interface at API level for developers. 

Even then as there is no casual inference in marketing the choice of such a name can't be removed from all the other times it is used in branding as a way of hiding something. 
    I do believe Apple Intelligence will be the name. It's just too juicy. Remember, the guys at the top are getting old.
    edited June 10 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,479member
    mattinoz said:

I do believe Apple Intelligence will be the name. It's just too juicy. Remember, the guys at the top are getting old.
    It’s also a magnet for mocking. Any little misstep, like Siri getting something wrong or a nonsensical tip or recommendation by underlying AI is going to lead to immediate mocking by everyone from disgruntled users, Apple haters, and the media. E.g., “If this (flaw) is Apple Intelligence, they are in big trouble.” 

It’s one thing to mock Siri’s inadequacies. It’s containable. It’s quite another thing to mock Apple’s intelligence. Apple Intelligence is very broad and potentially uncontainable target. 

That said, “Apple Intelligence” is an extremely bold statement by Apple because of its obvious mockability. Apple will absolutely have to deliver in a very big way and live up to an extremely high set of expectations. This may be up there with “make a dent in the universe” at some level because it sets a very high and nearly unobtainable bar for the entire company to aspire to while removing the safety net that a more innocuous, containable, or vague techno-term name would offer. If the choice here is go big or go home, Apple is going big.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra