Which iPhone models are needed to run iOS 18

Posted:
in iOS

At WWDC 2024, Apple will unveil iOS 18. Here's which iPhone models will run the new version of the operating system.

Smartphone with a colorful screen displaying 7:14 on Friday, October 7, resting on a wooden surface.
iOS 17 on an iPhone

The annual WWDC keynote is chiefly the venue for Apple to reveal its updates for its operating systems. With big changes expected to be on the way for iOS 18, some users may wonder whether their aging iPhone will be able to run it at all.

On Monday, a leaker known to AppleInsider for accuracy on such matters posted to X that an earlier post from April was "confirmed." That earlier post said that all iPhone models that are compatible with iOS 17 will work with iOS 18.

If true, that means there won't be any iOS 17 devices dropped off the supported device list for iOS 18.

What iPhones will support iOS 18

• iPhone SE (second generation)

• iPhone SE (third generation)

• iPhone XR

• iPhone XS

• iPhone XS Max

• iPhone 11

• iPhone 11 mini

• iPhone 11 Pro

• iPhone 11 Pro Max

• iPhone 12

• iPhone 12 mini

• iPhone 12 Pro

• iPhone 12 Pro Max

• iPhone 13

• iPhone 13 mini

• iPhone 13 Pro

• iPhone 13 Pro Max

• iPhone 14

• iPhone 14 Plus

• iPhone 14 Pro

• iPhone 14 Pro Max

• iPhone 15

• iPhone 15 Plus

• iPhone 15 Pro

• iPhone 15 Pro Max

Note that iOS 18 running on a device does not mean that all features will be supported. For example, most of the Apple Intelligence features in the device are expected to need an iPhone 15 or newer.

AppleInsider will be covering all of the major announcements and events of WWDC 2024.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    That's a fantastic list.  However, I agree that the degree to which all the AI features are available may diminish for the older models.  Hopefully not too much.  I can't wait to watch this afternoon as I clutch our iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max models.
    edited June 10 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    I'm feeling pretty relaxed with my 15 Pro, one of the major reasons I upgraded, was future proofing for the inevitable, Apple Intelligence 😊
    gatorguynubuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ciacia Posts: 267member
    Wow, who out there has the incredibly rare and un-announced iPhone 11 mini?
    kingofsomewherehotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    If the list is true, looks like my iPhone 11 will be safe for at least another year.  I'll probably upgrade this year, assuming the majority of the new features are ones I want.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    If the list is true, looks like my iPhone 11 will be safe for at least another year.  I'll probably upgrade this year, assuming the majority of the new features are ones I want.
    I might too.
    (Edit: Waiting one more year probably makes more sense for me. Give AI things time to bake)

I'm still using an iPhone 11, needed for a couple of things and some apps, and had considered a "used" 15 a few months ago, but not the Pro model. Now I'm glad I didn't since it would have been irritating to discover Apple was leaving last year's phone behind. I bought the 11 to avoid being left behind a few years ago. 

All that said, this is the most subdued response to an Apple iOS reveal I can remember.  It's like crickets here, weird. 
    edited June 11
  • Reply 6 of 6
    gatorguy said:
    I might too.
    (Edit: Waiting one more year probably makes more sense for me. Give AI things time to bake)

I'm still using an iPhone 11, needed for a couple of things and some apps, and had considered a "used" 15 a few months ago, but not the Pro model. Now I'm glad I didn't since it would have been irritating to discover Apple was leaving last year's phone behind. I bought the 11 to avoid being left behind a few years ago. 

All that said, this is the most subdued response to an Apple iOS reveal I can remember.  It's like crickets here, weird. 

When I get my iPhone 11 battery replaced later this month, I might feel the same way. 🤣🤣🤣

On the other hand, I have been itching for a camera upgrade.
    watto_cobra