iPadOS 18 gets Math Notes, your own handwriting, and a Calculator

Posted:
in iPadOS edited June 10

Apple's iPadOS 18 introduces more changes to the iPad's operating system, with the latest edition including accessibility and a Calculator app, among other features.

Child eating a watermelon slice, displayed on a tablet screen with various app icons and widgets overlayed.
iPadOS 18

Apple has detailed many changes arriving on iPadOS in the fall of 2024 as part of its iPadOS 18 release. The numerous changes promise to give many users a massive update to the iPad experience.

Accessibility

Apple has already previewed the accessibility functions arriving in iPadOS and its other operating systems in May as part of Global Accessibility Awareness Day.

The biggest change is eye tracking, allowing users to navigate the operating systems' interface with their eyes. While borrowed from the Apple Vision Pro, the feature will only require the front-facing camera of the iPad to function.

Personalisation

Just like iOS, iPadOS users will be able to personalize their home screen. App icons can be moved and anchored to different parts of the screen, allowing for more of a user's background to be viewable.

Dark mode versions of icons are available, but you can change them with the system setting. Icons can also be tinted, allowing further customization for Dark Mode icons.

Control Center gains the ability for developers to add more controls to it, giving users another way to access important features and actions via a Controls API.

SharePlay

SharePlay's screen sharing is being updated to allow you to tap and draw on a screen to instruct others on what they should do on their own device. It's also possible to get assistance from iPhones.

Tab Bar

A new redesigned tab bar now floats above app content. The floating tab bar can turn into a sidebar, offering more functionality.

This includes being able to reorder and add more tabs from the sidebar and increasing customization for apps.

Calculator

The Calculator's finally on iPad, which takes advantage of the Apple Pencil with its Math Notes feature, which AppleInsider broke in April. Writing in expressions, the Calculator will immediately solve problems once an equal sign is written.

Two devices displaying the calculator app, both showing the result of '1024  4' as '4096' with scientific mode buttons.
Calculator is finally on iPad

It'll also include functions like a scientific calculator. Importantly, it will also save notes for later use.

Users can now format text in Messages using bold, italics, or underlining words. Animated text effects are also available, along with redesigned Tapbacks for reactions.

Scheduling of messages is also available, just in case a message must be sent when the recipient isn't available.

Freeform

The Freeform app gains Scenes, giving a way to quickly navigate around a Freeform document. This should improve group productivity and help guide new document users around what's already been documented in the app.

Safari

As part of Safari's changes, there's a redesigned Reader experience and Highlights. Machine learning will show users key information from a webpage, allowing them to quickly understand its contents.

Photos

As part of the biggest redesign to the app, it's now easier than ever for users to find the images they want. Unified to a single view, the Library view adds filters to quickly narrow down the content types, even screenshots.

A new carousel view shows highlights that update each day, featuring a variety of subjects. Content also autoplays while browsing.

Notes

Part of the Notes app, iPadOS now lets users perform text editing on their handwriting through a feature called Smart Script. For handwritten notes in Notes, users can now spellcheck their text, with changes made to blend into the user's scribbles.

Hand holding a stylus writing 'Cinnamon Rolls' in blue and black on a tablet screen.
Updates to the Notes app improves a user's handwriting as they wrote

The changes also apply when users move text, restructuring what's written to allow more text to be added, just like normal typed text.

There are also collapsible sections in Notes, allowing users to more easily see the key points of their notes while temporarily hiding less important elements.

AppleInsider urges you not to install beta software on any device you depend on for work.

Read on AppleInsider

dewme

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 441member
    What an absolutely laughable collection of 'upgrades'.

Apple annual revenue $380 billion.

About 50 bucks spent on iPadOS.
    80s_Apple_Guysurgefilterwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I would like a program where I can write mathematical expressions with derivatives, integrals, vectors, matrices, etc. using a stylus and have the app format the expressions and allow them to be exported in LaTeX.
    dewmewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,212member
    All of these things only deserve a point release at best.

None of the things people have been asking for (well, the calculator excepted) have occurred. Improved stage manager, windowing, file management including on external devices, multi user accounts, emulation. The fundamental nuts and bolts that would have turned the iPad into something that can actually take advantage of its hardware.  

Looks at M4 IPP and wonders why he was silly enough to not get an IPA or wait for a remaindered M2 IPP. 

I really can’t recommend an M4 IPP to anyone.

in fact, TVOS was more of an upgrade.
    edited June 10 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 14
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,038member
    kkqd1337 said:

Righttttt Apple is paying an entire team of engineers just $50 bucks to update iPadOS...  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,212member
    JinTech said:
    kkqd1337 said:

Righttttt Apple is paying an entire team of engineers just $50 bucks to update iPadOS...  :D
    Maybe it wa $51….
    kkqd1337williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 14
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 441member
    JinTech said:
    kkqd1337 said:

Jokes on Apple. I would have done it for a T-shirt. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 907member
    Well... we now know the answer to whether iPadOS 18 will be an upgrade worthy of the new M4 IPP hardware. That loud thud you heard during the keynote was the sound of a resounding "NO!" It's another year of IPP being "like driving a Ferrari on a golf course... but now, with a calculator app!" 

I can't say that I came away especially excited after today's keynote. Even the message boards here are kind of quiet considering this was Apple's big AI coming out party. Maybe I'll be more impressed when I can actually use these things. Honestly, right now, I'm most excited about the Passwords app, which looks to be a major improvement over Keychain, but that shouldn't be the thing that got my attention. 
    edited June 10 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,376moderator
    I would like a program where I can write mathematical expressions with derivatives, integrals, vectors, matrices, etc. using a stylus and have the app format the expressions and allow them to be exported in LaTeX.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mathkey-latex-converter/id1387782884?platform=ipad
    https://furnacecreek.org/archimedes/ipad
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 14
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    When will people realise, the iPad will never get Mac OS?
    It's getting Apple intelligence, learn how to use it and stop being parrots for YouTubers with vested interests!
    The calculator app is awesome if you're into maths.
    danoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Maybe the new calculator app will finally put a stop to those inane posts about "nobody gets the right answer" to a stupid simple math problem.  Apparently only a few people in the world were taught PEMDAS for solving math problems.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,048member
    kkqd1337 said:

The Haters wanted a iPad Calculator you got it (Digits has been Sherlocked on the iPhone and iPad after 10-12 years? due to public outcry). The new upgrades are enough that there are many crybabies in the my iPhone didn't make the Apple Intelligence cut, but don't worry the other half of the crybabies say they want to sit out the Apple Intelligence upgrade. My 11 Pro iPhone didn't make cut but so what? I want Apple to move forward after all they are behind in Apple Intelligence.  :smile: 

Don't ask the public anything cause they don't know.......

https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/this-was-steve-jobs-most-controversial-legacy-it-was-also-his-most-brilliant.html   Steve Jobs....

edited June 11 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,349member
    danox said:
    kkqd1337 said:

The Haters wanted a iPad Calculator you got it (Digits has been Sherlocked on the iPhone and iPad after 10-12 years? due to public outcry). The new upgrades are enough that there are many crybabies in the my iPhone didn't make the Apple Intelligence cut, but don't worry the other half of the crybabies say they want to sit out the Apple Intelligence upgrade. My 11 Pro iPhone didn't make cut but so what? I want Apple to move forward after all they are behind in Apple Intelligence.  :smile: 

https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/this-was-steve-jobs-most-controversial-legacy-it-was-also-his-most-brilliant.html   Steve Jobs....

I am surprised you, too, aren't voicing some displeasure with how this is panning out. I know it's not at all the result you were expecting, believing Apple had planned for this for years and we would all be rocking the new AI features in iOS18 generations back.

To me it's fine. Sales are falling. relatively speaking, so marketing makes decisions (ok it might partially be incapable hardware too) that benefit Apple the corporation's revenue and not my consumer wallet or yours. Nothing surprising with that.  Fortunately, the two things often have crossover. 

The iPhone is not my only regular carry smartphone, and between my two I do I'm well-covered.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Marvin said:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mathkey-latex-converter/id1387782884?platform=ipad
    https://furnacecreek.org/archimedes/ipad
    Thanks! I will look into that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,048member
    gatorguy said:
    danox said:
    kkqd1337 said:

I am surprised you, too, aren't voicing some displeasure with how this is panning out. I know it's not at all the result you were expecting, believing Apple had planned for this for years and we would all be rocking the new AI features in iOS18 generations back.

To me it's fine. Sales are falling. relatively speaking, so marketing makes decisions (ok it might partially be incapable hardware too) that benefit Apple the corporation's revenue and not my consumer wallet or yours. Nothing surprising with that.  Fortunately, the two things often have crossover. 

The iPhone is not my only regular carry smartphone, and between my two I do I'm well-covered.

What I like about the announcement by Apple that the Mac Studio M2 Ultra's are being as the servers for Apple Intelligence many will skip over that but I think it will be big for the future development of the Mac Ultra's and the Mac Pro's particularity some of the specialized software (and hardware?) needed to bring it all together, I hope some of that server software? will filter out to Mac developers over time.

One other thing I like was Apple seemed to put a lot of thought into executing more of the little details in comparison to the competition and being a vertical computer certainly helped their overall plan a lot. 

edited June 11 gatorguywilliamlondonwatto_cobra