Apple Intelligence & Private Cloud Compute are Apple's answer to generative AI

Posted:
in iOS edited June 10

Following months of rumors, Apple Intelligence has finally arrived, and promises to provide users more than just generative images.

A laptop, tablet, and phone display various apps, including a reading application, a colorful brain illustration, and notification bubbles.
Apple Intelligence is a cross-platform AI initiative

Towards the end of Apple's keynote for WWDC 2024, following its main operating system announcements, the company moved on to the main event. It discussed its often-rumored push into machine learning.

Named Apple Intelligence, the new addition is all about using large language models (LLMs) to handle tasks involving text, images, and in-app actions.

For a start, the system is able to summarize key notifications, showing users the most important items in a summary, based on context. Key details are also surfaced to the user for each notification, while only the most important are shown under the new Reduce Interruptions Focus.

Laptop screen showing an email with proofreading and rewriting options. Background includes calendar events, weather, and a visible CV.
Apple Intelligence text options in Mail on iPadOS 18

System-wide writing tools can write, proofread, and summarize text for users. While this sounds like it could just be for messages and short text, it can also be used on longer stretches, such as blog posts.

The Writing Tools' Rewrite feature provide multiple versions of text for users to choose from, adjusting what the user has already written. This can vary in tone, depending on the audience the user's writing for.

This is available automatically across built-in apps and third-party apps.

Images

Apple Intelligence can also create images, again for many built-in apps. This includes personalizable for conversations with specific contacts in Messages, for example.

These images are created in three styles: Sketch, Animation, and Realism.

In apps like Messages, the Image Playground lets users create images quickly by selecting concepts like themes, costumes, and places, or by typing a description. Images can also be used from a user's photo library to add to the composition.

This can be performed within Messages itself, or through the dedicated Image Playground app.

iPad showing a character creation screen with an astronaut-themed avatar surrounded by various character and theme options. Create button in the top right corner.
Image Playground in iPadOS

In Notes, Image Playground can be accessed using a new Image Wand tool. This can also create images, using elements of the current notes page to work out what the most appropriate image to add could be.

The image generation even extends to emoji, with Genmoji allowing users to create their own custom icons. Using descriptions, a Genmoji can be created and inserted inline into messages.

A more conventional addition is in Photos, with Artificial Intelligence able to use natural language to search for specific photos or video clips. A new Clean Up tool will remove distracting objects from a photo's background.

Actions and Context

It can also perform actions within apps on behalf of the user. For example, it could open Photos and show images of specific groups of people from a request.

Person standing next to a large screen displaying a colorful logo and categories like Books, Browsers, Cameras, Document readers, File management, Journals, Mail, Photos, Presentations, Spreadsheets.
Apple Intelligence will support a wide array of apps

Apple also says Apple Intelligence is grounded on the context of a request within a user's data. For example, it could work out who family members are in relation to the user, and how meetings can overlap or clash.

One example of a complex query that can trigger actions in an app is "Play that podcast that Jamie recommended." Apple Intelligence will determine the episode by checking all of the user's conversations for the reference, and then open the Podcasts app to that specific episode.

In Mail, Priority messages can show the most urgent emails at the top of the list, as selected by Apple Intelligence. This includes summaries of each email, to give users more of a clue of its contents and why it was selected.

Tablet screen displaying ARCH 201 Lecture 12 notes on architecture in India, 15th-18th centuries, with a sketch of a domed pavilion and bullet points of key details.
Apple Intelligence in Notes

Notes users can record, transcribe, and summarize audio thanks to Apple Intelligence. If a call is recorded, a summary transcript can be created at the end of the call, with all call participants informed of the recording automatically when it commences.

Naturally, Siri has been considerably upgraded with Apple Intelligence, including being able to understand users in specific contexts.

As part of this, Siri can also refer queries to ChatGPT.

Private Cloud Compute

A lot of this is based on on-device processing for security and privacy. The A17 Pro chip in the iPhone 15 Pro line is said to be powerful enough to handle this level of processing.

Many models are running on-device, but sometimes the processing requires in-cloud processing. This could be a security issue, but Apple's method is different.

Private Cloud Compute allows Apple Intelligence to work in the cloud, while preserving security and privacy. Models are run on servers running Apple Silicon, using security aspects of Swift.

Processes on-device work out if the request is sent to cloud servers or if it can be handled locally.

Apple insists the servers are secure, that they don't store user data, and use cryptographic elements to maintain security. This includes the devices never talking to a server unless that server has been publicly logged for inspection by independent experts.

Not for all users

While Apple Intelligence will be beneficial to many users, the requirements will freeze out many from enjoying it.

On iPhone, the requirement for an A17 Pro chip means only iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max users can try it out in beta. Similarly, iPads with M-series chips and Macs running Apple Silicon can use it too.

It will be available in beta "this fall," in U.S. English only.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,069member
    I need a new iPhone Pro upgrading from a 11Pro iPhone. :smile:  no problem. And Apple Intelligence running on Apple Silicon Servers too. Beautiful.

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/05/09/apple-to-power-ai-features-with-m2-ultra-servers/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/apple-intelligence-announced-at-wwdc-2024-apple-joins-the-ai-race/ar-BB1nY1q2
    edited June 10 Alex_Vwilliamlondonjas99watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Using the name Apple Intelligence was brilliant and it kept us from a keynote where we hear AI so many times that we were begging for them to cut to a Nickelback concert just to make our suffering complete 
    dewmessfe11timpetustht40domiibilljas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 65
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,501member
    I'm very pleased with the way Apple is integrating additional AI and ML into their software platforms by focusing on the user and improving their experiences across the board. If they can pull off what they demonstrated over the next several months I will be very impressed. Adding iPhone integration into macOS they way they are doing it with Continuity is going to be something I will use quite often. The new Passwords app is a dagger to the heart for 1Password. Ouch.
    ssfe11timpetusAlex1Nmarthas694macxpress40domiAlex_Vwilliamlondonjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 65
    omasouomasou Posts: 606member
    Will be really interesting to see how these web based platforms, where you are the product, address questions related to privacy.

For sure they cannot offer what Apple is doing.

Also interesting how they played down the Apple data center chips.
    edited June 10 rezwitstimpetusAlex1N40domiAlex_Vjas99watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 5 of 65
    US English only. It will probably be six years until available in my native language. Still waiting for numerous other Apple features that are only available for major languages. Bummer.
    appleinsiderusernubus40domiAlex_Vwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 65
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,101member
    omasou said:
    Will be really interesting to see how these web based platforms, where you are the product, addresses questions about privacy.

For sure they cannot offer what Apple is doing.

Also interesting how they played down the Apple data center chips.
    These general WWDC keynotes are about 90 minutes long, they simply don't have the time to delve deeply in any one specific topic. There's a platform keynote that offers more meat for developers plus the individual WWDC sessions and documentation.

I'm not really sure what you would expect Apple to talk about concerning their datacenter silicon. They aren't the company that will list specs on their server configurations. And they won't be selling these chips, they are for their own exclusive use. For many years I have repeatedly speculated that Apple was testing Apple Silicon in their own data centers.

In the same way, they don't describe what espresso machines are being used in the cafes at the Infinite Loop campus or what sort of HVAC units or networking cable brand is at the spaceship Apple Campus. And when you go to a pizzeria, you don't know what brand and model number the industrial grade mixer used to make the pizza dough. Or the sewing machine used to make your jeans.

The most important thing is that the data is private and the system architecture can be inspected by third-party observers. The model number on the chip isn't really relevant to anyone but a fraction of Apple staff members. 
    edited June 10 dewmeAlex1NtmayStrangeDays40domiwilliamlondonjas99watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 7 of 65
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,842member
    There are a few things that would be useful, an improved Siri for example. But there has never in my recollection been a WWDC keynote where I said “Oh F*** no” quite as many times. Many of their headline abilities I will just want to disable as soon as I can and as completely as I can. I AM an artist. I AM a writer. I have no use for AI generating my images and text. 
    dewmeAlex1NAlex_Vwilliamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Using the name Apple Intelligence was brilliant and it kept us from a keynote where we hear AI so many times that we were begging for them to cut to a Nickelback concert just to make our suffering complete 
    Sounds like corporate cringe.
    9secondkox2tmaynubusgrandact73williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 65
    DAalseth said:
    There are a few things that would be useful, an improved Siri for example. But there has never in my recollection been a WWDC keynote where I said “Oh F*** no” quite as many times. Many of their headline abilities I will just want to disable as soon as I can and as completely as I can. I AM an artist. I AM a writer. I have no use for AI generating my images and text. 
    Remember that you are not required to upgrade the operating system on any of your existing Apple devices. You are free to stick with iOS 17 and macOS Sonoma (or earlier).

Here's what I wrote in a separate thread: "Remember that almost everything Apple's devices can be disabled. Location Services, Notifications, Siri, iCloud services, Face ID, Touch ID, Apple Pay, microphone access, photo library access, camera access, music library access, Bluetooth, Wifi, whatever. You can basically run your iPhone like an iPod circa 2008 if you want."

Hell, you can turn off spell checking and auto punctuation if you want for a pristine GIGO experience.

If you have used Apple devices for more than a month and watched the keynote presentation with a modicum of attention, you will have noticed that these are ALL optional actions. If you just want to write an e-mail and hit send, you are still free to do so. You are free to type out your grocery list on Notes, draw stick figure people, make spelling errors, etc.
    edited June 10 dewmetmayStrangeDays40domiAlex_Vwilliamlondonjas99watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 10 of 65
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,392member
    Sounds like the ACDC rumors were right (or close to it). 

I wonder if it's a bunch of M2 Ultras, and I wonder if there's a custom server form factor... 
    watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 11 of 65
    I’m a self employed builder so these ”AI” (a bullshit term if ever I heard one) improvements should be very handy. Improved Siri and the ability to easily generate images on the fly that show clients what product options will look like in situ - yes please. Hopefully there’s a trickle down of some AI features to my iPhone 14 Pro, otherwise my daughter might be fighting over a very nice 2 year old hand me down iPhone! 
    dewmeAlex1N40domiwatto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 12 of 65
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,318member
    With the recent Adobe fiasco (yet another) where cloud data is actively policed and mined for Adobe’s benefit and the lack of copyright protection for the open-source LLMs of the world, the idea of a private cloud compute is genius.  Despite Nvidia’s recent successes in minting expensive GPUs eventually power and money costs will catch up with this approach.  I suspect Alphabet, MSFT, Amazon and Apple will “roll-their-on” systems in response at the end of the day.  They really don’t have a choice in the matter (though I suspect it will take a few years to accomplish this task).
    dewmeAlex1N40domiKierkegaardenAlex_Vwatto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 13 of 65
    I’m a self employed builder so these ”AI” (a bullshit term if ever I heard one) improvements should be very handy. Improved Siri and the ability to easily generate images on the fly that show clients what product options will look like in situ - yes please. Hopefully there’s a trickle down of some AI features to my iPhone 14 Pro, otherwise my daughter might be fighting over a very nice 2 year old hand me down iPhone! 
    Based on Apple's track record, I doubt if they will backport any of these AI features to older devices. It's not like they don't know how well they would run on these older machines.

And a year from now, Apple will announce new features some of which will only run on the iPhone 17 generation. If you have owned any Apple hardware devices more than a year, you should know this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 65
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,842member
    mpantone said:
    DAalseth said:
    Remember that you are not required to upgrade the operating system on any of your existing Apple devices. You are free to stick with iOS 17 and macOS Sonoma (or earlier).

Here's what I wrote in a separate thread: "Remember that almost everything Apple's devices can be disabled. Location Services, Notifications, Siri, iCloud services, Face ID, Touch ID, Apple Pay, microphone access, photo library access, camera access, music library access, Bluetooth, Wifi, whatever. You can basically run your iPhone like an iPod circa 2008 if you want."

If you have used Apple devices for more than a month and watched the keynote presentation with a modicum of attention, you will have noticed that these are ALL optional actions. If you just want to write an e-mail and hit send, you are still free to do so. You are free to type out your grocery list on Notes, draw stick figure people, make spelling errors, etc.
    I am using an iP11, it is due for an upgrade. When that happens I will have no choice but to go to 18.
    Believe me I will be disabling as much of the AI S*** as I can as fast as I can.

Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 15 of 65
    nubusnubus Posts: 462member
    Impressive level of integration making the Apple ecosystem even more sticky. There is a before and after today.  A lot of hardware currently and recently sold by Apple are now in the "pre-AI" dumb class. Amazing upgrades to hardware and software ahead.
    9secondkox2Alex1N40domiAlex_VScot1Bart Y
  • Reply 16 of 65
    So where is the source of it's AI images? It has to glean images from somewhere to train it's AI tool. Does anyone know?
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 65
    DAalseth said:
    mpantone said:
    DAalseth said:

I am using an iP11, it is due for an upgrade. When that happens I will have no choice but to go to 18.
    Believe me I will be disabling as much of the AI S*** as I can as fast as I can.

No, you are not. At least until iOS 18 releases, you still have the option of purchasing a device running iOS 17 including older generations of iPhone hardware. Right now on Apple's storefront, you can buy an iPhone 15 or iPhone 14, all of them running iOS 17. No one is pointing a gun at your head saying you can only upgrade to the newest model generation. You just need to do this in a timely manner.

Trust me, I know. I have an iPhone 12 mini. I know when I upgrade my handset, I will lose the SIM card slot.

If you buy an iPhone 14 a week before iOS 18 comes out, you are pretty much guaranteed an iPhone that will have no AI features for the lifetime of that unit which should easily carry you into 2030. Even if you install iOS 18, Apple's hardware requirements state an iPhone 15 or later for a lot of this AI stuff. And based on what Apple has done in the past, you can be blissfully assured that they won't backport any of it earlier devices.

Hell, you can buy an iPhone 15 today and stay on iOS 17 forever. Apple will not point a gun at your head and say you might upgrade to iOS 18.

As for disabling all of the AI carp, be our guest. I used Siri a couple of times when it was still a third party app and a few more times after it launched as an Apple service then I disabled it. How long ago was that? Twelve years? I don't use iMessage either. So yeah, go ahead and disable as much as you'd like. Hell, you can put your iPhone into airplane mode and just pretend it's an iPod.

One thing I know I will be doing is delaying my software upgrade. I just upgraded my iDevices to iOS 17 and Mac to macOS Sonoma. A week ago. Most likely I will wait until a week before WWDC 2025 before upgrading to iOS 18 and macOS Sequoia. This ensures a user experience with fewer OS bugs because Apple's software QA went down the toilet about 7-8 years ago.

edited June 10 dewmeAlex1N40domimuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 65
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,074member
    mpantone said:
    Based on Apple's track record, I doubt if they will backport any of these AI features to older devices. It's not like they don't know how well they would run on these older machines.

And a year from now, Apple will announce new features some of which will only run on the iPhone 17 generation. If you have owned any Apple hardware devices more than a year, you should know this.
    Reading between the lines, anyway, I think these features will only be available to beta test on iPhone 15 Pro, but in final implementation, may be available on earlier models, but without the possibility of on-device AI processing, because the hardware can't do it. True enough, some new features are only available on the latest model because of hardware requirements, but a surprising amount of new OS features are added to older models as well. This is part of the premium cost of Apple gear. The initial purchase price includes the costs of several years of upgrades to your existing device.

DAalseth said:
    mpantone said:
    DAalseth said:

You'll probably disable less than you think. No, if you're a professional writer, you don't want AI gunking up your mojo. That said, there are a lot of features on your iPhone that you use just like any other end-user, and you'll probably find the convenience of a pocket assistant useful. Even with the written word, not everything is a creative writing project. There are no doubt any number of mundane business communications that if you employed a personal assistant, with a few instructions for what you want, you'd hand that stuff off to them to write. Now you'll be able to do the same with the PA in your pocket.

Alex1N40domiwilliamlondonwatto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 19 of 65
    AppleZulu said:
    mpantone said:

Reading between the lines, anyway, I think these features will only be available to beta test on iPhone 15 Pro, but in final implementation, may be available on earlier models, but without the possibility of on-device AI processing, because the hardware can't do it. True enough, some new features are only available on the latest model because of hardware requirements, but a surprising amount of new OS features are added to older models as well. This is part of the premium cost of Apple gear. The initial purchase price includes the costs of several years of upgrades to your existing device.

DAalseth said:
    mpantone said:
    DAalseth said:

You'll probably disable less than you think. No, if you're a professional writer, you don't want AI gunking up your mojo. That said, there are a lot of features on your iPhone that you use just like any other end-user, and you'll probably find the convenience of a pocket assistant useful. Even with the written word, not everything is a creative writing project. There are no doubt any number of mundane business communications that if you employed a personal assistant, with a few instructions for what you want, you'd hand that stuff off to them to write. Now you'll be able to do the same with the PA in your pocket.

I disagree.

Apple will not backport beta-tested iPhone 15 Pro features to older devices. If a feature is meant to be available on a particular device, the functionality will be available to test during the iOS beta period on those devices. That's what the beta is for: for people (developers mostly) to test. Remember that there are far more iPhone 13 out in the world than the number of iPhone 13 devices in Apple's various campuses around the world.

It's not like Apple will say "This feature ran great on the iPhone 15 Pro. Let's release it to a bunch of older devices and cross our fingers." Some other companies might do that but not Apple. They aren't that pathetically inept.
    edited June 10 gatorguy40domiwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 65
    scapalscapal Posts: 18member
    No mention of the HomePods lineup at all.
    That’s the first place where a Siri update is needed.

I guess it reads as: too embarrassed to even acknowledge their existence in this context, be ready to dump them all to buy a next gen next year.
    appleinsideruserwilliamlondonelijahgScot1