AirPods software update will let you refuse a telemarker's call by shaking your head

Posted:
in iPhone

Apple is updating the software on AirPods this fall, with Siri Interactions and Voice Isolation among the inbound changes.

Nine people and a dog inside a crowded elevator. The people exhibit various expressions, mostly weary or neutral. One person holds a package; another cuddles a dog.
AirPods will let you shake your head to decline a call without speaking. Handy if you're in an elevator.

During Apple's WWDC 2024 keynote, it detailed many improvements coming to its various operating systems. It also took a moment to detail what is on the way for AirPods users.

Siri Interactions offers new ways to work with the digital assistant using the earbuds. This includes being able to nod or shake their head to respond to Siri to answer or ignore a phone call in cases when the user cannot speak aloud.

The same concept, can also be used in various other ways, including managing notifications and dealing with messages, all without the user speaking at all.

For when users need to speak, AirPods Pro will gain Voice Isolation. The feature will isolate and enhance the user's voice, while simultaneously eliminating background noise like wind for the listener.

Personalized Spatial Audio with dynamic head tracking will also be a boost for gamers. It will be made available for gaming for the third-gen AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max.

AirPods Pro will also benefit from the best wireless audio latency Apple says it has ever delivered for mobile gaming. There's improved voice quality too for AirPods Pro gamers, including 16-bit 48kHz audio for in-game chat.

Apple's also making a developer API available for game producers to incorporate into their audio systems.

The developer beta for AirPods is already available to try out, with public releases due in the fall.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    timpetustimpetus Posts: 38member
    Is a telemarker just a really long sharpie? ;-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,479member
    Now if Apple could figure out a way to prevent users from using the speakerphone capabilities on their iPhone when other people are nearby, I would be most impressed. There’s nothing more disturbing than hearing someone talking loudly about highly personal issues at a volume that’s well above the ambient chatter level in a public setting. Used to be rare but it’s becoming more common. I suspect it’s epidemic in Florida.  
    gilly33appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    Voice isolation is a brilliant update, shaking your head, nice to have also
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Guess I'll have to investigate some of those alternate ear pieces for AirPods.  I'm sad that I can't use them for more than a few minutes at a time. :(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,349member
    No spam/call screening yet? I thought I had seen mention of it finally coming to iOS this year.  Not having to deal with the call at all would be even better than head shaking.  
    edited June 11 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 7
    This is equally as lame as the double tap on the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    This is equally as lame as the double tap on the Apple Watch.
    I find it useful for one armed operation. It just needs to be more consistently available.
    watto_cobra