No, your Apple TV, Apple Watch, and Apple Vision Pro aren't getting Apple Intelligence

Posted:
in General Discussion

Apple Intelligence is the company's big AI push, but it's only going to be available initially on iOS, iPadOS, and macOS starting this fall.

Animated astronaut character with smile, surrounded by smaller icons and a real person's profile photo. Options include astronaut, space, scientist, and adventure. 'Create' button in upper right corner.
Image Playground on an iPad

Apple's biggest news during the WWDC Keynote is its massive step forward in the field of artificial intelligence. The launch of Apple Intelligence stands to significantly improve how users interact with their iPhones and work on their iPads.

However, it's not something that will be available across all of Apple's platforms to start.

During WWDC, Apple revealed how Apple Intelligence will work on iOS 18 as well as iPadOS 18, and on macOS Sequoia.

That means you won't be able to benefit from Apple Intelligence on tvOS, watchOS, and visionOS, since it won't be heading to those platforms. With no mention at all of Apple Intelligence linked to the Apple Watch, Apple TV, or Apple Vision Pro during the presentation, that means support isn't inbound for those platforms at launch.

This does make sense, at least for tvOS and watchOS. Outside of a slightly smarter Siri for requesting shows to watch, there's no real need for it on the set-top box nor the Apple Watch.

It's arguable that, since you can actually do productive work on the Apple Vision Pro, support for visionOS could make sense. And, Apple Vision Pro hardware has the M2 chip, which is fine for it on Mac.

Alas, despite all that, it seems it still isn't enough for Apple to include for visionOS users.

While the three platforms won't have Apple Intelligence this fall, it doesn't mean they won't necessarily get it in some form in the future. It's likely that Apple will do so in later generations, once it has firmly nailed down the experience with its main platforms.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I won't will be able to get Apple Intelligence on my iPhone, either.!  Being only a 15Pro, it doesn't have has the A17.

:^)^;

Regular iPhone 15 owners will be out of luck.  :^/
    edited June 10 williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,099member
    marklark said:
    I won't will be able to get Apple Intelligence on my iPhone, either.!  Being only a 15Pro, it doesn't have has the A17.

:^)^;

Regular iPhone 15 owners will be out of luck.  :^/
    Your AppleInsider profile says you registered here in 2008. You should know by now that Apple often restricts new features to the latest hardware.

Whether it's because of true hardware demands or just a ploy to get people to buy new hardware, it really doesn't make a difference. Apple never promised iPhone 15 users that they would be entitled to all future software features.

The next thing Apple releases is going to be able to do things that existing products can't do. That's the cost of innovation.

If Apple only released software that all existing devices could run, we'd be stuck on Apple I computers and iPhones with 128MB of RAM, 480x320 pixel display at 18-bit color, and 2.5G EDGE networking technology (which wouldn't function as a telephone in 2024 here in the USA).
    edited June 10 applebynaturedanoxwilliamlondonappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 888member
    That's false, Siri works as a team.  I will bet you money Siri on watchOS, tvOS (for homePods) will be "OK" to relay request, much like shortcuts would worked when they weren't on macOS in the beginning.

But yeah VisionOS (unsure) TV (nope, ur right about this).

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    So, no longer will Siri be equally stupid on all my devices, now some devices will be more equal stupid!
    ravnorodomwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 6
    clexmanclexman Posts: 210member
    I feel certain that a new TV & Homepod will show up in the near future with AI added and only available on the new devices.

For the WATCH, a hardware revision is due so they can circumvent Masimo's patents. I see a new Ultra with SpO2 & AI likely for this fall.

It will come to Vision eventually, but not right away. I imagine that the implementation will be very different on the Vision Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nubusnubus Posts: 449member
    clexman said:
    I feel certain that a new TV & Homepod will show up in the near future with AI added and only available on the new devices.
    We can't keep buying all these new devices even for kids. Each device will need a lot of on-device processing, storage, memory, and a large battery to support it making the devices expensive and in need of upgrades. Apple should allow old devices to use the tech off-device and perhaps make a HomePod without speakers for local processing + Homekit.

Not sure what is happening to Watch. The 9-series is marketed as "Siri-ously capable" as it does Siri on-device. No longer.
    williamlondon