Canon's RF-S dual fisheye lens will help produce Apple Vision Pro video

Posted:
in General Discussion

Camera maker Canon has brought out another dual fisheye lens for its RF-S cameras, which could be used to make 3D video for the Apple Vision Pro.

Dual fisheye camera lens in black with Canon branding and specifications text, set against a gradient background.
Canon's new RF-S dual fisheye lens

Content creators have a few ways to produce new video for the Apple Vision Pro and other mixed-reality headsets. While they can use an iPhone 15 Pro Max or the Apple Vision Pro itself, Canon's offering a way to do it with their cameras.

Tuesday's launch of the RF-S 3.9mm F3.5 STM Dual Fisheye is a new lens designed for producing video content for headsets. It uses two separate lenses positioned side-by-side to simulate human binocular vision.

The camera's sensor ends up creating two separate images in one video, relating to the left and right eye's points of view. This is then played back to the user wearing a headset, giving a 3D effect.

The new lens has a 144-degree field of view, a little smaller than the usual 180-degree field of view for such footage. It also has a large depth of field, making it easier for users to keep attention on their subject, by keeping them more in focus.

A focus ring can be assigned to handle other functions, such as aperture or ISO.

The lens is the first 3D lens from Canon with Autofocus, including a one-shot autofocus setting to simplify the filming process. It's also the first non-L series lens to use a premium Air Sphere coating to prevent aberrations like flares and ghosting.

Each lens has two UD elements, promoting sharp images. A rear-mounted filter holder is also available, handling both gelatin and screw-on filters.

This is not the first lens from Canon that enables its cameras to capture stereoscopic video. It previously introduced the RF 5.2mm F2.8L Dual Fisheye, which is designed for its full-frame RF-system cameras and costs $1,999.

The RF-S is designed to be used by the APS-C RF-S camera range, such as EOS R7. It's also intended to be a cheaper and overall easier lens for content creators to get and use, so they can quickly get started making content for headsets.

The Canon RF-S 3.9mm F3.5 STM Dual Fisheye Lens is available for preorder from retailers such as B&H Photo, priced at $1,099.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Interesting option, along with the lens shown during the keynote.  Not sure if the workflow will be improved and if users will be required to subscribe to the Canon software to process.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8

The RF-S is designed to be used by the APS-C RF-S camera range, such as EOS R7. It's also intended to be a cheaper and overall easier lens for content creators to get and use, so they can quickly get started making content for headsets.

Per the Canon website the lens is only compatible with the EOS R7.

"Exclusively compatible with EOS R7 APS-C 32.5MP camera with the firmware 1.5.0+"

Kinda weird that they don't work with the more expensive full frame cameras like the R6, R5 and R3. 

edited June 11 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,574member

"Exclusively compatible with EOS R7 APS-C 32.5MP camera with the firmware 1.5.0+"

Kinda weird that they don't work with the more expensive full frame cameras like the R6, R5 and R3. 

It’s not surprising at all. It’s an APS-C lens. That makes sense. This is meant, mostly, for people who want to create content but without spending big bucks doing so, or having more weight. Bloggers are already working on content and I see unhappiness at the expense and weight.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Canon and others will have a camera dedicated to this in the future if they think they can sell enough of them. Something small and relatively inexpensive, under $1,000 for a fixed lens model.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    melgross said:

It’s not surprising at all. It’s an APS-C lens. That makes sense. This is meant, mostly, for people who want to create content but without spending big bucks doing so, or having more weight. Bloggers are already working on content and I see unhappiness at the expense and weight.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Canon and others will have a camera dedicated to this in the future if they think they can sell enough of them. Something small and relatively inexpensive, under $1,000 for a fixed lens model.
    Cost isn’t relevant. This is a software limitation on the part of Canon,  it a hardware one. I can use other non-full frame lenses on my R6. Like I can use EF mount lenses made for film camera in the 1980s. They just don’t take full advantage of the full frame
    sensor. 
    edited June 11 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    melgross said:

Cost isn’t relevant. This is a software limitation on the part of Canon,  it a hardware one. I can use other non-full frame lenses on my R6. Like I can use EF mount lenses made for film camera in the 1980s. They just don’t take full advantage of the full frame
    sensor. 
    Cost is always relevant. It’s not software. Almost no one wants to use an APS-C lens in full frame.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

sensor. 
    Cost is always relevant. It’s not software. Almost no one wants to use an APS-C lens in full frame.
    I can't help but think you really don't understand this. There is no cost increase to the customer. None, zero, zip. Cost is not relevant. 

The limit is 100% software. The firmware on the R7 supports the lens and the firmware in the full frame doesn't. Firmware is software. The EOS cameras all run variations of the same firmware. So there is no programing work needed to get full frame cameras to support the lens. It is a matter of adding the code that is already created for the R7. 

I'd ask how where you got the that backs up your claim that none one wants to use the lens but we both know you don't have any. 

Contracts, you have made two incorrect points and made up the third!
    edited June 11 Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Very confusing of Canon to release two 3D lenses at nearly the same time, but the larger lens version you've shown here is the "RF-S 3.9mm f/3.5 STM":

The one shown in Apple's keynote is for Spatial 3D capture that's not "Immersive", and it's the "RF-S 7.8mm f/4 STM" shown here: https://petapixel.com/2024/06/10/apple-promoted-an-unannounced-dual-lens-canon-optic-coming-this-year/

gatorguyAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

sensor. 
    I can't help but think you really don't understand this. There is no cost increase to the customer. None, zero, zip. Cost is not relevant. 

The limit is 100% software. The firmware on the R7 supports the lens and the firmware in the full frame doesn't. Firmware is software. The EOS cameras all run variations of the same firmware. So there is no programing work needed to get full frame cameras to support the lens. It is a matter of adding the code that is already created for the R7. 

I'd ask how where you got the that backs up your claim that none one wants to use the lens but we both know you don't have any. 

Contracts, you have made two incorrect points and made up the third!
    The cost differential is between a full frame lens for $2,000 and one for $1,100 for APS-C, pulse the difference in price of the cameras. It’s not between using a lens designed for a smaller frame on a larger camera with just a software difference.

my career has been professional photography, including running a commercial photo lab here in NYC for 28 years. Yes, I have some experience in this.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra