Tim Cook spills the beans on Apple Intelligence's use of OpenAI, and AI hallucinations

Posted:
in iOS

In the wake of the Apple Intelligence reveal at WWDC, Apple CEO Tim Cook sat down for an interview talking about the advancement, admitting that it's not perfect and delving into why Open AI was selected as a launch partner.

Tim Cook standing outside with hands clasped, wearing glasses, in front of modern building and colorful rainbow arch among green trees, with mountains in the background.
Tim Cook on Apple's roof

The Washington Post was granted an interview with Tim Cook. As expected, the main topic of discussion was about Apple Intelligence, and Cook's stance on adoption.

Cook is positive on the technology, as you think he would be. He expects the additions will save time, and make users more efficient.

Specifically, in the interview published on Tuesday, he cites the natural language improvements to Siri, and the improved writing tools that the additions allow are the best aspects of the technology with the most immediate impact for users.

"If you think about Siri as an example, you can now have a conversation with Siri. It can perform essentially multiple steps with one request, where today it takes multiple requests for that to occur. Writing tools: I get so many emails, and I realize everybody's not on email, but everybody writes. And to have an assistant proofread to make things more professional or more entertaining, or whatever you want to do, is a big thing. The idea that it's private, I think, is a very big idea in today's world. People want to know in some kind of way that [AI] is personal to them, but also private. And these two things generally haven't gone together very well. We found a way to thread the needle."

Interviewer Josh Tyrangiel also questioned Cook if the adoption of artificial intelligence in Apple hardware somehow compromised Apple values. Cook didn't really entertain the core of the question, saying that Apple's stances on privacy and how customer data is handled are inviolable, regardless of what product.

He did say that Apple knew that some queries were going to have to be parsed off-device from the beginning. And, he had something to say about hallucinations by artificial intelligence.

"But I think we have done everything that we know to do, including thinking very deeply about the readiness of the technology in the areas that we're using it in. So I am confident it will be very high quality. But I'd say in all honesty that's short of 100 percent. I would never claim that it's 100 percent."

Tim Cook on Sam Altman, OpenAI, and ChatGPT

Overall, though, as you'd expect from the CEO of a company that is rolling out massive enhancements to a product line that will more or less require most of its audience to buy a new phone to use, Cook is bullish about the announcements. And, he's happy about his partnership to launch it all.

Cook also said in the interview that OpenAI's stance on not tracking user IP addresses and similar measures are what attracted Apple to ChatGPT. He said that they considered "everything and everyone" -- and added that they aren't bound to one provider, forever.

He mostly demurred on personal questions about Altman. All he said is that Apple concluded it was in the best interest of users to use OpenAI.

And, he's happy about what the tech can do for users.

"I get excited about helping people do things faster, better, higher quality. Anything that improves human existence, " Cook concluded. "And I think AI can do that, again, subject to keeping the rails on it appropriately. So I'm a fan. I don't have my head stuck in the sand. I know that there's also a parade of horribles that can occur, which is why we're committed to being thoughtful in the space."

Apple Intelligence feature roll-outs start in the Fall of 2024, with some aspects arriving in 2025. User beta testing has not yet started, and won't until July.

Read on AppleInsider

FileMakerFeller

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,146member
    I feel the limiting of Apple Intelligence to iPhone 15 Pro and above is a temporary thing.

I think Apple have realised that getting people used to uploading data to Apple’s servers again is something people need to get used to and they’re using iPhone 15 Pro users to do that. Eventually it will be Apple server only tech for older phones and on device for every new phone from next year.

What I found interesting is that the servers Apple are using are their own. I suspect that’s because there’s now ridiculous power in their own machines now but also because the hardware security features and dedicated neural processors are the only way they could make it work safely.

This is super encouraging and I’m all for it. Apple is doing AI correctly as it always has been since iPhoto 09
    jony0Alex1Nwatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 6
    nubusnubus Posts: 449member
    I feel the limiting of Apple Intelligence to iPhone 15 Pro and above is a temporary thing.
    Why would Apple convert iPhone 15 into a dumb phone now and resurrect it in 2025 - 2 years after launch?
  • Reply 3 of 6

I think Apple have realised that getting people used to uploading data to Apple’s servers again is something people need to get used to and they’re using iPhone 15 Pro users to do that. Eventually it will be Apple server only tech for older phones and on device for every new phone from next year.

What I found interesting is that the servers Apple are using are their own. I suspect that’s because there’s now ridiculous power in their own machines now but also because the hardware security features and dedicated neural processors are the only way they could make it work safely.

This is super encouraging and I’m all for it. Apple is doing AI correctly as it always has been since iPhoto 09
    Uploading user data to Apple servers is called iCloud. That's something most Apple users already do.
    jony0Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,048member
    nubus said:
    Why would Apple convert iPhone 15 into a dumb phone now and resurrect it in 2025 - 2 years after launch?

I would not be surprised that the 14 series and the base 15 iPhones get added right before the release date of iOS 18.
    edited June 12 radarthekatAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    OpenAI won’t be able to track your IP address, but are they also prohibited from training their AI using your data?
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,349member
    OpenAI won’t be able to track your IP address, but are they also prohibited from training their AI using your data?
    You mean pinky promise. 

IMO, if the company is allowed any data at all as a condition of licensing OpenGPT, I strongly believe it would be anonymized and aggregated, which Apple no longer considers "your data". 
    edited June 12 Alex1N