Apple plans slimmest iPhone 17 & MacBook Pro designs following iPad Pro success

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    dk49dk49 Posts: 271member
    Why is Apple pursuing Jony Ive's ideas years after he has already left years ago?
    edited June 17 williamlondon
  • Reply 42 of 51
    longfanglongfang Posts: 486member
    Make the iPhone 1/8” thicker, increase the battery size!
    Erm, no thanks.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 51
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,426member
    chasm said:
    I only carry my phone when I’m traveling, and it’s been a harrowing experience. The battery seems to drain so quickly (see: range anxiety) and I’m constantly having to manage it. What I’d love more than anything: keep the damn phones the same thickness—or make them slightly thicker—and give me solid 18-hours of life.
    They'd need to be LOT thicker and a LOT heavier to give you 18 hours of non-stop usage.
    GOOD!

I want that!

More battery life, sturdier phone, not seeing the downside here.

Hundreds of consumers will line up overnight for that...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 51
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,101member
    Guys, we are being trolled by some AI 'bots in this discussion. This is actually pretty commonplace in Q&A forums all over the Web now and has been for the past year or so.

Of course, not everyone here is a 'bot (not yet thank God) but if you see some nonsensical comments -- especially from accounts that were just created -- most likely there's no human being at the keyboard. Even comments/questions that are a bit "off" are likely fake.

And it will get worse unless AppleInsider does something to ferret these bogus accounts out.

I'm seeing this in all sorts of discussions all over the Internet in all manner of discussions, not just Apple, AI, or tech matters. I am seeing fake questions and answers at cooking sites. Search engines are full of search results leading to weird, mostly useless AI-written articles that spend 30 paragraphs to state what can be said in three.

edited June 17 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 51
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,121member
    iPhones have gotten consistently thicker since iPhone 6, a decade ago, and I still see that as the ideal form factor. The cameras have obviously gotten incrementally better over the years, and water resistance was an important addition, but there’s not much I do on a daily basis that was noticeably worse with my iPhone 6. I text, I make calls, I navigate, I listen to music, I read stuff online, take the occasional snapshot. Like most of you, I still want the best phone I can get, and don’t mind paying for it, even if I know it will only make a difference in certain situations, like getting caught at the top of a mountain with no cell service. But I also really appreciate having a thin, light phone, and never use a case for that reason. 

Maybe the best solution would be to make a thinner phone with battery life on par with current models, and then offer a thick battery case for people who need multi-day battery life but don’t care about weight and thickness. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 51
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,375member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Has Jony Ive entered the building again? How will battery life not suffer? 
    Your comment assumes no other advances will be made in shrinking components, making more power efficient components, denser battery tech, better internal design of components, and/or more efficient SW.
    Battery technology has been lagging for years and suddenly in two years time it’s dramatically going to improve? There’s only so much they can do via software manipulation. It truly would be a miracle if Apple provided real all day battery life in phones that aren’t the size of the Pro Max but then they would be losing out on the $$ they make from battery replacements. 
    1) Things do advance, even if slowly. Sometimes, it's just the efficiency of the packaging, even if the density of the cells isn't changing.

2) You only addressed 2 things of many that can affect battery life.

3) You say "there's only so much they can do" and yet I can point to any number of iPhones, iPads, or Mac laptops to show how their battery life is considerably better while being much lighter and faster than they used to be.
    Then my iPhone 12 Mini should be providing me with better battery life with the advancements in iOS technology yet with each iOS update I am getting less battery life. 
    The OS generally gets more efficient but it also gets more features which use power. You can often disable many of these new features. Again, you ignore all the other advances that has led to far great batter life over the original iPhone.
    You have an answer for everything, dink. 
    Oh sweet bitter irony.

He was thoughtful and patient and you were just your typical trolling self being all negative. He deserves an award.
    Xedbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 51
    longfanglongfang Posts: 486member
    tmay said:
    chasm said:
    I only carry my phone when I’m traveling, and it’s been a harrowing experience. The battery seems to drain so quickly (see: range anxiety) and I’m constantly having to manage it. What I’d love more than anything: keep the damn phones the same thickness—or make them slightly thicker—and give me solid 18-hours of life.
    They'd need to be LOT thicker and a LOT heavier to give you 18 hours of non-stop usage.
    GOOD!

I want that!

More battery life, sturdier phone, not seeing the downside here.

Hundreds of consumers will line up overnight for that...
    Millions more will buy the thinner one. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 51
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 237member
    Come on Apple, thinner and faster are no design goals. I never had a slow Apple device even after years of usage. Thinner is not appealing. We need real out-of-the-box innovation not more of the same. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 51
    XedXed Posts: 2,686member
    dutchlord said:
    Come on Apple, thinner and faster are no design goals. I never had a slow Apple device even after years of usage. Thinner is not appealing. We need real out-of-the-box innovation not more of the same. 
    You don't think that a design of Apple's engineering is to make it lighter and to make it faster? I certainly do, and I know from experience that if you can make an object less heavy you can usually reduce its volume and if you can make it complete a given task more quickly you get it back to an idle state faster which will give you an overall better battery life. How are these not goals when designing a better device?
    edited June 19 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 51
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,375member
    Xed said:
    dutchlord said:
    You don't think that a design of Apple's engineering is to make it lighter and to make it faster? I certainly do, and I know from experience that if you can make an object less heavy you can usually reduce its volume and if you can make it complete a given task more quickly you get it back to an idle state faster which will give you an overall better battery life. How are these not goals when designing a better device?
    Your patience with trolls is amazing.
    Xedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 51
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,383member
    mpantone said:
    Guys, we are being trolled by some AI 'bots in this discussion.
    The biggest problem I have with anything labeled "AI" is that I often don't know when people mean Artificial Intelligence or Apple Insider.

But maybe we are getting bots from both. ;-) 
    watto_cobra