School Shooting in PA

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

the underlying problem, IMO, is that parents aren't spending anywhere near enough time with their kids, and their kids know it. so they feel like shit. kid goes nuts one day and shoots their fellow students, and everyone wants to point the finger at big, bad entertainment.

let's face it, kids raised on TV aren't well adjusted. but i don't think that's TV's fault, it's because they weren't raised by their parents.

some kids raised on nothing but seasme street and Mr. Rogers would probably be insane too. kids need a loving, caring enviornment.

you are right , the first people who are responsible of childs are their parents.

As a parent, i control what are looking my daughters. I do not allow them to watch the most violents series or movies. I have Dysney channel and others toons channel especially for them. Most responsible parents i know, have those channels or buy video for their kids, but avoid the most violent series for them. Parents have to control TV more, than in the past.

When i was young there was rughly only two hours per day of interesting stuff for kid, and these stuff was not very violent. My parents do not have the need to control precisely what i look. Now my kids have acess to hundreds of channel, and some of these channels have hyper-violent stuff. However even, if you do this, your kids are not in a bubble, via school they share a certain amount of violence with others kids, we must be aware that kids do not learn only lessons in school.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Where did you get this from? What gives you this idea? This school shooting hasn't been reported here in the UK so tell the facts.

I don't have a direct linkage. It is just statistically true. Much like if an institution doesn't have proportional representation of races and gender it proves it is sexist and racist.

Likewise it isn't just this particular instance where it happened to be a teenage boy shooting himself and authority figures. They have all been this way. That means the problem isn't within just one home or one set of parents. It must be societal. When you look at schools, the majority of the authority figures (teachers and principals) are women. In fact in elementary schools, 90-95% of the teachers are women. Lastly almost all these shootings have been at schools so that is where the problem originates. It must be the culture of the school that creates this problem because the variables have around the incidents have all been the same even though they have occured at different times and places throughout the entire country.

When black males are more likely to go to prison than to college, it is proof of societal racism.

When you look at schools you see that by a five to one margin. Boys are suspended, retained, referred for special education and also drop out more than girls. Can you think of a single area where if women were affected 500% more negatively then men it wouldn't be sexist? Likewise women make up 55% of the college population and the number of men attending has been in decline for decades. Men are also statistically underrepresented in colleges, yet they are not eligible for special preferences or aid because of this. Instead they are blamed for their own problems and have the door slammed in their face.

The suicide rate for boys and girls is the same throughout childhood. However once they enter puberty, society and especially women start making their demands known on men. When this occurs the suicide rate for men skyrockets to where it is over 500% more likely they will kill themselves than women. Women will claim they consider suicide more often but those that attempt it and also that are successful the most often are men.

It is obvious this whole incident is endemic of a much larger problem in American society, specifically with women and how they repress men within our educational system.

Nick
  • Reply 43 of 54
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

It is obvious this whole incident is endemic of a much larger problem in American society, specifically with women and how they repress men within our educational system.

Nick, I really think you've got some issues with women and schools. I'm sure some of your insight is really good, but it seems more like a crutch than evidence, circumstantial or otherwise.

Just my two cents.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Nick, I really think you've got some issues with women and schools. I'm sure some of your insight is really good, but it seems more like a crutch than evidence, circumstantial or otherwise.

Just my two cents.

How can 500% be grasping at nothing and looking for a crutch?

Would you say the same thing to a women who were turned down for a promotion 500% more than men?

Would you say the same thing to black couples who were turned down for a mortgage 500% more than white couples?

Do they have crutches and issues by your reasoning Bunge?

Nick
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:

Then look at Shawn Patrick, being the house slave and mouthing the brainwashing he has been indoctrinated with. He is the one who would have been saying the woman deserved to be raped based off their attired in another time. Now since he has been properly brainwashed he accusing the boy himself instead of the society and expectations that crushed him.

Instead of simply seeking the removal of these violent videogames he should ask why young men feel compelled to play them. I would say it is societies way of preparing these men for their own truly disposable and unloved nature. Being able to kill without feelings will properly prepare these men for having their children, homes and earnings stripped away from in divorce proceedings. It will prepare them to trudge off to jobs where they may have put their lives and limbs at stake under fear of jail time. They will be prepared to be shoved into these jobs as former jobs are taken by women who chase them out with charges of insensitivity, sexism, and harassment.

You are seriously misguided...and very very close to misogynistic.

Let's make it 4 cents: I suggest you get over your issues with women.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Yep, more likely than not, Nick has some "issues" with women and education, and if you spent just a little time in a staff room full of middle aged female teachers, you'd know why.

Female teachers are fine and all when they're young and hot in their own naughty school teacher pin-up fantasy way. This disguises the fact that most of them are of average intelligence but think that they're a lot smarter than they actually are because they were keeners back in school.

Not only are they massively disturbed, the cannot reconcile their psuedo liberal ideals with the conservative protected patriarchal family life they all jealously protect. It's become the ideal profession within which sanctimonious women can feel pioneering while enjoying all of the benefits of patriarchy and basically never be aware of the discontinuities in their thought and lifstyle.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:

I don't have a direct linkage. It is just statistically true. Much like if an institution doesn't have proportional representation of races and gender it proves it is sexist and racist.

Likewise it isn't just this particular instance where it happened to be a teenage boy shooting himself and authority figures. They have all been this way. That means the problem isn't within just one home or one set of parents. It must be societal. When you look at schools, the majority of the authority figures (teachers and principals) are women. In fact in elementary schools, 90-95% of the teachers are women. Lastly almost all these shootings have been at schools so that is where the problem originates. It must be the culture of the school that creates this problem because the variables have around the incidents have all been the same even though they have occured at different times and places throughout the entire country.

When black males are more likely to go to prison than to college, it is proof of societal racism.

When you look at schools you see that by a five to one margin. Boys are suspended, retained, referred for special education and also drop out more than girls. Can you think of a single area where if women were affected 500% more negatively then men it wouldn't be sexist? Likewise women make up 55% of the college population and the number of men attending has been in decline for decades. Men are also statistically underrepresented in colleges, yet they are not eligible for special preferences or aid because of this. Instead they are blamed for their own problems and have the door slammed in their face.

The suicide rate for boys and girls is the same throughout childhood. However once they enter puberty, society and especially women start making their demands known on men. When this occurs the suicide rate for men skyrockets to where it is over 500% more likely they will kill themselves than women. Women will claim they consider suicide more often but those that attempt it and also that are successful the most often are men.

Nick

If the vast majority of teachers are women, it's because the job lose his attractivity. Men generally are more ambitious than women, and will tend at equal level of diplomae to take the job, who will bring the more money or social value. Women have in charge their familie in addition of their job, and that's bring them difficulties to manage the two things altogether. Teaching is a way to manage it both together.

The 5 to 1 ratio of boys having problems compared to girls, come from the essential part, to our Y chromosoma, and more precisely the Testosterone, a hormone who give us the advantage of strenght, combativity, but also violence. It's scientifical, you canno't do anything against this. However, i suspect that this real bad reputation of men, deserves them, and may bring impartial judgements from women in charge. Let's say that the real ratio for punitions or sanctions of boys and girl should be 4/1 instead 5/1.

Last point, it must certainly not being easy to be surrounded by women at work
  • Reply 48 of 54
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Last point, it must certainly not being easy to be surrounded by women at work

I can't disagree with this, but Nick I was just saying you're connecting some dots that might not be connected. You're making some assumptions based on your own fears/concerns/biases, whatever. Misogynist might be correct, but as Matsu indirectly points out you're probably in an environment that lends itself to severe criticism.

EDIT: I apologize if my original post just looked like a personal attack because it certainly wasn't meant that way.
  • Reply 49 of 54

You guys all relax. Obviously you must know that based off my beliefs and what you have seen me post around here that there is no way in hell I could actually believe most of what I was posting. I don't like victimology but I do "understand" it. (Right BRussel if you happen to be out there)

However I do find it funny that people will blame video games, (did the article mention the kid played video games?) parents (did the article mention the parents were bad, in fact it mentioned the guns were kept in a gun safe), corporations, gun companies, gun laws, and TV.

Of course none of these things were mentioned in the article either but nobody questions the validity of these claims because it meets of with their various political views.

Wouldn't an attack on parental participation really be an attack on working women and day care centers for example? Wouldn't an attack on TV or video games really be an attack on our first amendment rights? Wouldn't attacking guns be an attack on our second amendment rights?

I just brought up that if all these things happen at schools and involved young men at schools. Wouldn't it be prudent to examine how young men are treated at these schools?

I am sure we wouldn't be questioning parents and homes if girls didn't want to take math and science. We question the teachers and the schools. We say that boys shout out answers and girls don't. We recommend special and sometimes even seperate classes for girls to do well in these subjects.

What do we do for these boys? Why would we assume half the human species is prone to violence? Isn't that just a damaging stereotype? I don't assume the males posting here are prone to violence (well except Matsu, but hey he is Canadian, so what do you expect?)

Shawn, Bunge, Powerdoc, Hassan, should we assume all of you are all predisposed toward violence?

Nick
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

You are seriously misguided...and very very close to misogynistic.

Let's make it 4 cents: I suggest you get over your issues with women.

I think my wife would disagree with you. I laid it on a bit thick to prove a point. You knowing what you know, should have seen that.

But how dare you not give the women of this board a chance to attempt to discuss this issue with me themselves. It is just like a man impulsively feeling like that have to jump in there and have all the answers. Solve all the women's problems. Don't you believe that women are empowered enough to post and reply, and defend themselves on their own? Why do you consider them so weak and unintelligent?

Have you thought of sharing all these issues you have with women in hopes of getting past them and being able to treat them as equals?

Nick
  • Reply 51 of 54
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    in my entire life i've known one girl who was actually violent. i know a lot of guys who are. biology, sociology, who knows. but regardless, men are much more violent than woman are.

i suppose you could look and see how violent those women were who were given testosterone during the German swim team's dark years. that would be on of the few instances where you might see the natural effect of testosterone outside of the male sex.

outside of that it would just be one side making crap up for the other side.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

in my entire life i've known one girl who was actually violent. i know a lot of guys who are. biology, sociology, who knows. but regardless, men are much more violent than woman are.

i suppose you could look and see how violent those women were who were given testosterone during the German swim team's dark years. that would be on of the few instances where you might see the natural effect of testosterone outside of the male sex.

outside of that it would just be one side making crap up for the other side.

You may have met one woman who choose to express her power by violent means, but violence is not the only means of expressing power.

It is often said that rape is not about sex because none of the parties actually enjoys the act in any form. It is about expressing power over someone.

Women do show their power over others but in different ways. Men might try to demonstrate theirs physically.

Women might:

*Start a whisper or gossip campaign about someone

*Accuse someone of a false act

*Poison of father's relationship with his children

*Manipulate authorities with false claims

*Destroy personal property (Take cash out of accounts, burn houses, wreck cars)

*Make verbal threats

*Manipulate others into violence on her behalf

If you have met a woman who has tried to make another man or woman's friends, stop being their friends, who has accused someone falsely, who has destroyed someone's property or prompted others to fight, those, in my book are the same types of acts of power that a man demonstrates.

Nick
  • Reply 53 of 54
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

If you have met a woman who has tried to make another man or woman's friends, stop being their friends, who has accused someone falsely, who has destroyed someone's property or prompted others to fight, those, in my book are the same types of acts of power that a man demonstrates.

sure, but you can just kick the shit out of someone doing that crap.

(unless of course they're a woman. can't hit women)

dunno, to me that stuff is pathetic. not exactly scary or intimidating. (well, maybe the cop thing is a real power play....)

• Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:

Shawn, Bunge, Powerdoc, Hassan, should we assume all of you are all predisposed toward violence?

Nick

Well i am a terrible moll killer, at least i try.

More seriously, i have some predisposition toward violence, but i control my self, and i hate to hurt people (but not molls anyway).

There is a scientifical correlation between violence and testosterone, it does not mean anyway that because you have a high level of testosterone that you are violent, it's just a risk factor, like hypertension for cardio-vascular diseases.