Apple Watch Series 10 to be thinner and have larger screen size

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 8

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims that the Apple Watch Series 10 is getting tenth-anniversary redesign that will bring it the same screen size as the Apple Watch Ultra.

An owner's hands setting options on the first-generation Apple Watch Ultra
Apple Watch Series 10 could have the same screen size as this Apple Watch Ultra

Rumors of the Apple Watch Series 10 or Apple Watch X being a major redesign have been circulating for years, most recently with a report that it would be thinner. Now Ming-Chi Kuo backs up that claim of a more thin design, but also says that the overall screen size will increase.

2H24 Apple WatchSeries 10/3D / The focus of the 2H24 New Apple Watch: Series 10 and BLT/3D Printinghttps://t.co/5KIdhvec0d

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Writing in his full blog post, Kuo goes on to say that the Apple Watch Series 10 will increase its sizes from 41mm and 45mm, to 45mm and 49mm. The larger of those two options would make the regular Apple Watch screen be the same size as the Apple Watch Ultraa.

Speaking of which, Kuo now says that there will be a new Apple Watch Ultra 3, despite previously claiming that it was not in development. This time he says that the new model's specifications will be "roughly the same" as the existing one, though.

It's hard to see how Apple would present that as a new model, except that Kuo also says that it's possible there will be a new color. It depends on production yields, but the previously rumored black version may be launched.

Kuo further says that previously reported testing of 3D-printing Apple Watch components has gone well, and "significantly improved the production efficiency" of the process. As well as components, he expects 3D-printing company BLT to ultimately expand to producing Apple Watch cases.

Ming-Chi Kuo has had very good track record with reports about Apple's plans. Lately, he has tended to introduce what he sometimes calls predictions, rather than solely reporting what he's learned from his sources in the supply chain.

In this case, he doesn't say either that it's from the sources or that it's a prediction. However, his detailing of BLT's plans suggests that his report is based on information from sources.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,478member
    Resolution is virtually the same though. So I am sure they will add more resolution with faster processors. 
    edited June 17 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    So hope this is true. My older eyes lust after the Ultra’s screen size but not the added bulk and weight. The more resilient sapphire crystal would also be welcome in an aluminum frame rather than the stainless. Fingers crossed!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    So hope this is true. My older eyes lust after the Ultra’s screen size but not the added bulk and weight. The more resilient sapphire crystal would also be welcome in an aluminum frame rather than the stainless. Fingers crossed!
    The sapphire crystal is not actually more "resilient"; it's more vulnerable to shattering than the glass Apple uses. However, it is more scratch-resistant, which is not the same thing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    The sapphire crystal is not actually more "resilient"; it's more vulnerable to shattering than the glass Apple uses. However, it is more scratch-resistant, which is not the same thing.
    Thank you for that. Fortunately it is the s rat hung that has plagued me. Never have broken the class on any Apple device I have ever owned. But maybe shattering will be in my future!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 135member
    What is the current status of the blood oxygen sensor in Apple Watches?  I have an Apple Watch Ultra, which still has that sensor, but from what I understand, Apple lost a legal battle with another company claiming Apple stole their IP and was forbidden to sell that feature in the US..  If true, from a sensor perspective, all current Apple watches are inferior to prior generations.

Personally, the only thing that would move me to a new Apple Watch is additional sensors.  Obviously, since I'm wearing an Ultra, I don't care much about thickness or size.  And I don't really use any third-party apps except iPhone apps that have Apple Watch extensions (e.g. Alltrails).  But I do care a whole bunch about more statistics about my body.  The long rumored blood pressure and glucose sensors would have me running to the nearest Apple store and wait in line.
    Scot1ranywwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    toganltoganl Posts: 9member
    I would love to see a Smart Connector giving connectivity to the strap. Would be fun to see what earthlings come up with. Even something as simple as a little extra battery power in the latch could be useful for some people at times. 
    I’ve never really had a moment where I wished my watch could do something it can’t but I’m sure others have ideas. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,059member
    Typical Kuo: “There’s no Ultra 3, not even in development.”  “Oh, wait, there’s an Ultra 3, but no changes from Ultra 2!” Which, if you’re keeping score, would essentially mean it’s unchanged from the Ultra 1, except no blood oxygen sensor any longer. I also find it impossible to believe that Apple will ditch the 41mm case. Pretty much every woman I know who owns an Apple Watch chose the smaller case size. The 45mm is just too big on most smaller wrists. I could see them adding a 49mm option as a third case size in addition to 41.and 45. 
    edited June 17 muthuk_vanalingamranywirwinmauricewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 879member
    twolf2919 said:
    What is the current status of the blood oxygen sensor in Apple Watches?  I have an Apple Watch Ultra, which still has that sensor, but from what I understand, Apple lost a legal battle with another company claiming Apple stole their IP and was forbidden to sell that feature in the US..  If true, from a sensor perspective, all current Apple watches are inferior to prior generations.

Personally, the only thing that would move me to a new Apple Watch is additional sensors.  Obviously, since I'm wearing an Ultra, I don't care much about thickness or size.  And I don't really use any third-party apps except iPhone apps that have Apple Watch extensions (e.g. Alltrails).  But I do care a whole bunch about more statistics about my body.  The long rumored blood pressure and glucose sensors would have me running to the nearest Apple store and wait in line.
    I would up grade if they resolve the blood oxygen fiasco. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    laytechlaytech Posts: 340member
    Don’t go thinner, go thicker and get longer battery life. If they go thinner and brag about same day battery life that is just pants. Longer battery. My ultra is now down to 1.5 days and it’s a pain. Come Apple, we need 5 day battery. Bigger watch longer battery please.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,134member
    charlesn said:
    Typical Kuo: “There’s no Ultra 3, not even in development.”  “Oh, wait, there’s an Ultra 3, but no changes from Ultra 2!” Which, if you’re keeping score, would essentially mean it’s unchanged from the Ultra 1, except no blood oxygen sensor any longer. I also find it impossible to believe that Apple will ditch the 41mm case. Pretty much every woman I know who owns an Apple Watch chose the smaller case size. The 45mm is just too big on most smaller wrists. I could see them adding a 49mm option as a third case size in addition to 41.and 45. 
    And yet, this article has resumed the tradition of hyping Kuo’s “very good track record.” If anything, he’s gotten worse with the flip-flopping predictions, landing on a final flip just before Apple releases something, with his “track record” apparently being based on the final guess negating all the prior flailing about with wrong answers. Kuo’s best track record is the consistent mileage (and presumably income) he’s derived from hyped superlatives that are largely divorced from his actual track record or any objective comparison to anyone else making predictions of Apple’s future plans. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,406member
    laytech said:
    Don’t go thinner, go thicker and get longer battery life. If they go thinner and brag about same day battery life that is just pants. Longer battery. My ultra is now down to 1.5 days and it’s a pain. Come Apple, we need 5 day battery. Bigger watch longer battery please.
    Nope. Solid all-day battery life is all I need. No issues charging every night. Would much prefer the thinner watch.What would be the point of a 5-day battery life? I have electricity where I live.
    watto_cobra