iOS 18 dramatically accelerates iPhone 15 Pro Max neural processing

Posted:
in iOS

Geekbench results comparing iPhone 15 Pro Max Machine Learning performance in iOS 17 versus iOS 18 are showing that there is a significant speed increase, even in beta.

iPhone 15 Pro Max
iPhone 15 Pro Max

The iPhone 15 Pro Max hardware was already a considerable speed improvement over its predecessor, according to general Geekbench 6 figures. Now, however, the first results of the iPhone 15 Pro Max using iOS 18 and specifically its Neural Processing Unit, have shown that the device can be even faster.

As first singled out in a thread on X/Twitter, the figures are surprisingly high. But they appear to be borne out by a series of results on Geekbench's site.

After iOS 18 update,
Geekbench machine learning score has greatly improved
(CoreML / Neural Engine Backend) pic.twitter.com/23cZm4qYCI

-- INIYSA (@lafaiel)

So using iOS 17.5.1 -- and again, specifically for neural engine processing -- the iPhone 15 Pro Max earned a Geekbench score of 6249. Seemingly the same device updated to iOS 18, earned a score of 7816 on the same test.

Scores and specifications don't tend to translate easily into universal real-world scenarios. That's especially true when the scores are solely for the Machine Learning element.

But it still demonstrates that iOS 18 is optimizing the iPhone's neural engine cores more than iOS 17 did.

The same source says that the results are even more dramatic over Geekbench's various text classification tests. There updating to iOS 18 improved one result over by 1,000%.

AppleInsider still recommends that no one update to iOS 18, unless they have a business need, or they have a spare iPhone.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,223member
    Maybe a bug.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ssfe11ssfe11 Posts: 85member
    Wow! Apple efficiency 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I've noticed this too. all my Neural Processes on my iPhone seem to be processed quicker even when suggesting text when typing in messages and suggestions on directions based on places I frequent. I think the reason Apple Intelligence isn't on Beta 1 is that they may have installed the backend engine to index a whole shit load of information before the want us to test it out. But I do see a huge difference 
    gregoriusmjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,724member
    If the geekbench score is based on how quickly a process is... processed, ten the OS may have a lot to do it with.

If it's supposed to bypass the OS, then WTF is going on here?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 879member
    For the 15 pro max only, what about 15 pro? I keep reading that Apple Intelligence will only be effective on an iPhone 15 Pro or new 16 Pro models.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 135member
    By singling out iPhone 15 Pro Max in you title, you  imply that the improvements are specific to that model - but then don't actually show lesser improvements for other models.  That's pretty sloppy reporting.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 646member
    I think I’ll wait to upgrade my 14 Pro Max until iPhone 17 or 18. I think Apple will have it down by then.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    I wonder how much faster the iPhone 14 Pro Max processing will be.

Still feel sad for all those poor people who bought the iPhone 15 just to find out that their phone is basically shit out of luck with the newer features of the next iOS.

I don’t think I’ve ever known Apple deliberately fuck over people with a product that’s only 9 months old and still being sold as the latest model before.
    edited June 17 williamlondonappleinsideruser
  • Reply 9 of 12
    riverkoriverko Posts: 241member
    Seems iPhone 14 Pro got some boost as well, when checking the results before and after the developer beta came out… but maybe that’s what i expect from the authors here… do some reaserch of the results, for let’s say models Apple is currently selling…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    nubusnubus Posts: 574member
    This adds to the impression that Apple didn't care about ML outside photography with iOS 17 and previous. Apple had the hardware but couldn't be bothered to optimize the OS. The gains are impressive and we should expect the same on macOS.

Problem on iPhone seems to be with Apple penny-pinching on memory for years. Other iPhones have great ML hardware but without 8 GB they can't use their processor. This should serve as a lesson to those shopping for any mac with M3 and 8 GB. Go for at least 16 GB. Don't buy a fast CPU without memory to support it.
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jccjcc Posts: 335member
    battery will probably drain faster as well as phones getting warm/hot fast. Don't know if I like the tradeoff?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 12
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,401member
    jcc said:
    battery will probably drain faster as well as phones getting warm/hot fast. Don't know if I like the tradeoff?
    You've concluded something you have no idea about, then passed judgment. Oh ffs.

watto_cobra