iOS 18 changes just about everything about lock screen controls

Posted:
in iOS

Ditch the flashlight and camera icons on the lock screen in favor of something more practical, thanks to Apple's changes in iOS 18.

The bottom of a smartphone screen with flashlight and poop emoji icons, featuring a gold rim.
Customizable lock screen icons in iOS 18

For quite some time, iPhone users have been able to trigger the flashlight and camera from the lock screen, without needing to fully unlock the iPhone beforehand. In a pinch, these options can be handy, but they may not be anyone's first choice.

As part of Apple's increased customization options in iOS 18, users are finally being given the chance to change those two previously-permanent icons. Instead, users can leave the spots blank, or add actions that they may find to be a lot more useful.

How to change the lock screen buttons in iOS 18

• Long press the lock screen, once you have unlocked it with Face ID.

• On the home screen selection screen, tap Customize, then select Lock Screen.

• Tap the minus icon next to the button you want to remove.

• Tap the now-vacated space.

• In the new window, select the button you want to place there instead. If necessary, an extra prompt may appear requesting further information.

• Tap Done.

A wide selection

Unlike, say, the relatively limited selection of the Action Button, Apple provides a very long list of things you can add to those two lock screen buttons.

It's an extensive list, with dozens of options available. Thankfully there's a search box to help narrow it down to the function that you want.

Three smartphones displaying various user interfaces and customization options, including a lock screen with a black and white tech-themed background and control center settings.
The path to change the iOS 18 lock screen icons.

The list reads somewhat similarly to the options you can add to Control Center at first, including the flashlight and camera icons, as well as stopwatch and timer, dark mode switching, alarms, and even Shazam.

Scrolling down the list, there are options relating to camera functions, the clock, connectivity, Home, sounds, and even the option to ping an Apple Watch.

There are also many accessibility sections in the list. That will allow quick access to important functions that could help the user navigate their iPhone.

If you want something entirely custom, you can also create a feature for yourself.

Create a Shortcut, then go through the process to change the lock screen buttons, and select Shortcuts as your new button. You'll be asked which Shortcut to apply to the button.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I’m looking forward to this. I use the camera shortcut quite often (though swiping left is easy enough) but I rarely use the flashlight shortcut from the lock screen so I’ll be jettisoning that one, likely for a Shortcut that runs some home automation.
    gregoriusmwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Huh.  Well, I'll definitely keep the flashlight, I use that all the time.

Since the camera is available from a swipe (and I don't use it much anyway) I'll probably replace that with the magnifier.
    gregoriusmpascal007
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Maybe iOS 25 will allow us to disable the swipe to open camera shortcut, hopefully you can configure these shortcuts to empty voids since I don’t want anything there 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 9
    But why o why is it still limited to only 2 shortcuts at a time???
    edited June 20 williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 9
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,371member
    Because their glasses are only 1/2 full and they have to give you something to complain about otherwise the world might fall off its axis.
    pascal007
  • Reply 6 of 9

Because you don't need more than two.  BECAUSE YOU DO NOT NEED MORE THAN TWO!

Besides, people would add so many to the lock screen that it would destroy the aesthetic Apple has carefully engineered into the phone.

/s
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,503member
    I’m totally cool with the Camera icon on the Lock Screen. What I really want to do is disable the swipe-left gesture from bringing up the camera. That feature bugs the crap out of me and frequently results in the camera mode being changed to some random mode that messes things up the camera settings when I actually want to take a picture or video, or a picture of my hand or the floor. 

I have no problem with the swipe-left feature being there, I just want a way to turn effing thing off. The same principle applies to pretty much any default behavior. Just give us a way to turn things off that we don’t like of don’t use. Being able to remove or at least hide default apps that were useless to some of us was a great step in the right direction. 

Now go finish the job. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 158member
    Besides, people would add so many to the lock screen that it would destroy the aesthetic Apple has carefully engineered into the phone.

/s
    I see your /s, but in reality, the self-anointed guardians and champions of Apple's imaginary aesthetic superiority are birthing kittens left and right all over the internet about the further lock-screen customizations, ability to arbitrarily place icons on the home screen, and (especially) the ability to tint or change icon colors. It's supposedly "ruining" the "preciousness" (not my words) of Apple aligning users to a default. 

Not since I last wandered into an audiophile forum have I seen such hilarity. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 9 of 9
    neoncat said:

/s
    I see your /s, but in reality, the self-anointed guardians and champions of Apple's imaginary aesthetic superiority are birthing kittens left and right all over the internet about the further lock-screen customizations, ability to arbitrarily place icons on the home screen, and (especially) the ability to tint or change icon colors. It's supposedly "ruining" the "preciousness" (not my words) of Apple aligning users to a default. 

Not since I last wandered into an audiophile forum have I seen such hilarity. 

Yes, I know.  I've seen some of the same. Don't get me wrong, I generally love what Apple has designed, and I truly appreciate most, if not precisely all, the aesthetic choices they make, but Apple is not the end-all-be-all of design.  They make mistakes, and overlooking such a simple configuration point before this is one of them.