visionOS 2 is a promising update with tons of new features

Posted:
in visionOS

Less than five months after Apple Vision Pro launched, Apple has revealed visionOS 2. Here are many of the major changes coming to Apple's spatial computing headset.

Two hands holding an Apple Vision Pro headset with the front lens facing the camera and the Digital Crown visible on top.
Vision Pro gets better with visionOS 2 this fall

Most of us here at AppleInsider are big fans of Apple Vision Pro. There are a few notable exceptions.

Regardless, despite the steep price of admission, visionOS is a fantastic operating system that paints a clear picture of Apple's vision for working in 3D space.

Not only is visionOS 2 a great update, but so far it's been less bug-prone as a beta versus visionOS 1.2.

Navigation in visionOS 2

After prolonged use and after our initial review, we started to notice how navigation could sometimes be a chore. Reaching your hand to the top to hit the Digital Crown was a pain.

It became easier to open the Control Center and use the Home Screen shortcut at the upper-most portion of the virtual screen. This still involved looking up or tilting your head.

Apple fixed all of this with a new hand gesture. You glance at your hand, and a little circle appears, hovering above it.

A hand reaching out, palm down, with the new Control Center widget hovering above it displaying the time, battery, and Wi-Fi in a modern room with a wooden table
New gestures make navigation so much better

With a tap of your fingers, you're back to the Home Screen. If you look at your hand and turn it over, you'll see a mini Control Center.

It will show your battery life, Wi-Fi status, and volume. Finally, when you flip your hand over, you can pinch and drag left or right to adjust the volume.

It's all so fast, fluid, and natural. These are motion-tracked to your hand, so as your hand moves, these graphics go with it.

And, the Home Screen can be rearranged. If you tap and hold while looking at any of your icons, they'll jiggle.

You can pinch and drag them around anywhere you want, in any order. They are no longer forced to be alphabetical and includes the apps in the "compatible" folder.

Apple relegated all non-native apps into this folder with the shipping version of visionOS. They weren't able to be removed, to the ire of users.

Environments in visionOS 2

Apple Vision Pro launched with many real-world environments, but two were listed as "coming soon." They were Lake Vrangla and "beach."

The latter is Bora Bora, and it will arrive with visionOS 2. This may be my favorite-looking environment.

It's animated, so the waves are breaking against the shore, the palm trees sway, and you can hear the sounds of the lapping water.

A white Bora Bora beach with palm trees peeking in from the sides and visionOS icons hovering in the center.
Bora Bora environment | Source: Ben Geskin

Oddly, Lake Vrangla is still absent from visionOS 2. It could make it by this fall, but Apple is happily touting Bora Bora on its update page without mentioning the other.

Using environments is also improved. A keyboard will be visible through the environment, instead of being masked.

Keyboard edge detection is a little rough right now, but we expect that to be improved as time goes on.

Hands holding a white computer mouse and an Apple Vision Pro on a white surface
You can now pair a mouse with Vision Pro

On a related note, any Bluetooth mouse or trackpad can paired with Vision Pro. This includes Apple's Magic Mouse.

Mirroring your Mac with visionOS 2

My favorite feature of visionOS 2 won't be arriving this fall. It's one of a few features that have been punted to a smaller, point release later in the visionOS 2 release cycle.

A woman sitting at a desk in the middle of a room while wearing Vision Pro and a large virtual Mac screen curving around her head
The ultra wide screen looks great for your Mac display

That feature is new display resolutions for mirroring your Mac. It is one of our favorite use cases for the headset.

Before, you were locked into a single, small display when you'd mirror your Mac. This major update has two new resolutions to choose from.

You can also opt for wide or ultra-wide. The latter is the equivalent of two 4K displays sitting side-by-side.

Apple makes it look natural by curving the display around you and applying foveated rendering to the edges.

Photos in visionOS 2

A theme this year for Apple's software updates is a redesigned Photos app, which extends to Vision Pro. The app doesn't look as different as the other platforms, but it still is improved.

It would have been great to see some of the new Apple Intelligence features for Photos here, but that's only available for M-series Macs and iPads, plus the iPhone 15 Pro or Pro Max.

When viewing photos, you can enable SharePlay. You and your friends or family can enjoy your memories together.

Using SharePlay in Vision Pro with the new Photos app open and a 3D photo being viewed while a Persona of a woman's head hovers to the right
3D photos look awesome in visionOS 2

The best change, though, is turning 2D photos into spatial photos. This works with any photo -- ones from your iPhone, your dedicated camera, or that you download from the web.

Even our resident Apple Vision Pro cynic is impressed by this new feature. He's had a digital camera since 1999, with a 12-megapixel one since 2006, and he says it's making even some of those two-decade old pictures look great.

You pull up a pic and tap the spatial cube icon in the top-left corner. An animation washes over your image while it analyzes it from both left and right-eye perspectives.

We expect that this is going to be a big hit with users.

More changes in visionOS 2

This update has plenty of small changes alongside the ones we outlined above. Guest Mode, for example, remembers the hand and eye data for the last user. This nixes the need to redo calibration each time the guest takes it off, for a rolling 30 days.

Multi-view is coming, first to Major League Soccer and Major League Baseball apps. Users can watch up to five games simultaneously.

A summary grid showing off many of the Vision Pro new features like new features, spatial photos, new APIs, SharePlay for Photos, AirPlay, and more.
Apple packed a ton of new features in visionOS 2

Vision Pro can act as an AirPlay receiver. Anyone can cast audio or video directly to the headset, just like you could do with an Apple TV or Mac.

There is full support for webXR, enabling spatial experiences via the web. That compatibility makes it easier for developers to port immersive spaces, for users to watch existing 3D spatial videos, and more.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how much Apple was able to include in visionOS 2. While it won't justify the $4,000 headset for everyone, it will be great for existing owners and future models.

Availability of visionOS 2

Apple will ship visionOS 2 in the fall of 2024, likely alongside its other major software updates.

It comes just as Apple has started to expand the availability of the device. China, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, and the UK will all have the hardware in-hand by mid-July.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    PemaPema Posts: 53member
    This all looks great. What isn't great is that the Vision Pro is too expensive. There are no tiers like with any other major Apple product. You can customise the latest MacBook M3 to your budget. Likewise you can select the iPhone you can afford/or need and customise that to your budget. 
    Not with the Vision Pro. It's like Henry Ford's mantra: you can have any colour you like as long as it's black. 

I cannot begin to imagine Apple releasing just the one iPhone model: iPhone Pro Max specced to the hilt at $2200 USD. For starters not many people can afford to spend that much on a phone, neither do all users need that level of iPhone. 

The Vision Pro looks to be a truly revolutionary product in the mixed reality headset space, but at $3500 USD per unit it is too rich for me. 

The other problem is the buyer needs to go into the Apple store to be fitted for the product. Another impediment. 

There is no trade-in for the Vision Pro! to bring the cost down. 

I would suggest that somewhere along the line Apple botched this product from wow to go. 

Tim Cook needed a headline grabbing product and pushed for its release before it was ready. Hopefully when Apple re-releases the Vision Basic in 2025/2026 it will have refined the product to the point of where the main features of the Vision Pro trickle down to the Vision Basic, plus the hardware costs will have been streamlined and on mass production cost less. 

I am a buyer at $1500 USD. That's it. 

Can I afford to wait to 2025/2026? Well, I haven't been lying back dreaming I must have a mixed reality headset that will drain my wallet out of $3500 USD. 

The iPhone is a different paradigm. I often do think of the next release and what it can do for me. The iPhone 16 looks like a winner. And I will be upgrading. And after the trade-in it will run me appx. $900 USD. I can stomach that. 

The good news is that Apple is not a one-trick pony like Humane who put all their eggs in one basket and now are shopping their omelette for a buyer. 

Most likely HP. They usually buy obsolete technologies. Palm O/S - remember that?

digital_guy9secondkox2williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 20
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,620member
    On July 12 it's available in Canada for a whopping C$5000 + C$200 lenses + C$600 storage option + C$700 AppleCare + C$845 tax= C$7345. And yet I'll probably get one.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    PemaPema Posts: 53member
    On July 12 it's available in Canada for a whopping C$5000 + C$200 lenses + C$600 storage option + C$700 AppleCare + C$845 tax= C$7345. And yet I'll probably get one.
    That's $5400 USD. Wonderful. When you are done purchasing the Vision Pro please write to me about the Humane AI Pin. I can probably organise one for $1000 USD. 
    VictorMortimer
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Pema said:
    That's $5400 USD. Wonderful. When you are done purchasing the Vision Pro please write to me about the Humane AI Pin. I can probably organise one for $1000 USD. 
    Plenty of them on eBay for <$3k shipped.
    VictorMortimer
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Still no fix for looking like an idiot wearing one of these jokes....
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Pema said:
    This all looks great. What isn't great is that the Vision Pro is too expensive. There are no tiers like with any other major Apple product. You can customise the latest MacBook M3 to your budget. Likewise you can select the iPhone you can afford/or need and customise that to your budget. 
    Not with the Vision Pro. It's like Henry Ford's mantra: you can have any colour you like as long as it's black. 

I cannot begin to imagine Apple releasing just the one iPhone model: iPhone Pro Max specced to the hilt at $2200 USD. For starters not many people can afford to spend that much on a phone, neither do all users need that level of iPhone. 

The Vision Pro looks to be a truly revolutionary product in the mixed reality headset space, but at $3500 USD per unit it is too rich for me. 

The other problem is the buyer needs to go into the Apple store to be fitted for the product. Another impediment. 

I would suggest that somewhere along the line Apple botched this product from wow to go. 

Tim Cook needed a headline grabbing product and pushed for its release before it was ready. Hopefully when Apple re-releases the Vision Basic in 2025/2026 it will have refined the product to the point of where the main features of the Vision Pro trickle down to the Vision Basic, plus the hardware costs will have been streamlined and on mass production cost less. 

Can I afford to wait to 2025/2026? Well, I haven't been lying back dreaming I must have a mixed reality headset that will drain my wallet out of $3500 USD. 

The iPhone is a different paradigm. I often do think of the next release and what it can do for me. The iPhone 16 looks like a winner. And I will be upgrading. And after the trade-in it will run me appx. $900 USD. I can stomach that. 

The good news is that Apple is not a one-trick pony like Humane who put all their eggs in one basket and now are shopping their omelette for a buyer. 

Most likely HP. They usually buy obsolete technologies. Palm O/S - remember that?

Not sure I’d make a comparison for the VP and iPhone. But since you did, when the iPhone originally came out, you had to buy it outright without a subsidy. Prior to iPhone, people could “buy” a phone for about 1/2 the actual cost but committed to an annual or 2 year plan - generally 2 year. It was then the public found out how much their actual phones costs and the industry changed.

$3500 isn’t a high price for what you are getting with the VP if you take everything in to consideration. It’s a full computer where the world is your monitor. Rather magical, really. And if you look at other high quality Augmented Reality devices out there, you’ll gain a better understanding of where the technology is and what it takes to get it out there. 

Costs will come down as development continues. Consider the first PC my family had was an Apple ][ with two 5-1/4” floppy drives, monitor, printer, etc. cost what I calculated to be over $10K in today’s dollars. 
    chasmStrangeDayswilliamlondonmike1
  • Reply 7 of 20
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,386member
    Still no fix for looking like an idiot wearing one of these jokes....
    No more than "looking like an idiot" for sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time ...

The Vision Pro is meant to be used in a solitary fashion, though it can interact with others if they need to interact with you.

The Vision Pro is another way of interfacing with a computer that offers some unique advantages, primarily being the best screen you have ever had access to in your life.

The other main use is for when you are traveling but not driving. Fantastic device for airplanes (and now trains), or for passengers in cars who can either just entertain themselves or get some work done. Anyone who has ever struggled with a notebook in economy class will appreciate how the Vision Pro solves that problem and goes beyond that.
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonCrossPlatformFrogger
  • Reply 8 of 20
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,386member

Pema said:
    Not sure where you're going with this. These are in no way even remotely the same level of devices.

As OAG wrote, the Vision Pro is essentially an iPad with the world's biggest and best screen. The Human AI Pin is barely above a toy.
    edited June 22 williamlondonmike1
  • Reply 9 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,938member
    Pema said:
    When the original Macintosh was released there was just one price, one tier. And when corrected for inflation it was over twice the price of AVP. Guess what happened over the years after launch? Yeaaah you got it, more models and lowered prices with economy of scale. That’s how it works. 
    edited June 22 9secondkox2williamlondonmike1fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 20
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,867member
    Nice to see the visor improving.  But don’t really see this moving adoption forward. Great QOL upgrade for those who bought it though. 
  • Reply 11 of 20
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,867member
    Pema said:
    When the original Macintosh was released there was just one price, one tier. And when corrected for inflation it was over twice the price of AVP. Guess what happened over the years after launch? Yeaaah you got it, more models and lowered prices with economy of scale. That’s how it works. 
    You’re talking back in the stone ages when computers were just becoming a thing for the masses. The Mac being the first successful modern computer (the likes of which we are still using today). 

Not a good comparison. 

In contrast, headsets have been a thing since 1968 (sword of Damocles) with the first true commercially available one in 1995 (mass market failure in Nintendo virtual boy) and then the father of all modern headsets in oculus circa 2011, over 13 years ago. It’s not like there wasn’t time to figure out a lineup.

There’s a reason why we heard rumblings of apple management not being sold on this yet. It wasn’t ready to take over. Was prematurely sent to market. 

Looking forward to the real thing in a few years when it looks like sunglasses. 
  • Reply 12 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,387moderator
    Pema said:
    They should be able to make a revision 2 or 3 close to the size of the Big Screen Beyond VR hardware:

If it was a visor for the Airpods Max or similar setup, they wouldn't need the lenticular lens and extra display because a visor can easily be pushed up if someone is talking.

This would also eliminate the pressure on the face. Linus tested the AVP and has red pressure marks all over his face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuHOf_kZK6Q&t=412s

When the visor is pushed down into place, there can be a light seal cushion that is more like a soft fabric (Apple Cloth) that extends into place and wouldn't need custom fitting.

If they also work as headphones, they have more utility when not watching movies. If it uses the battery of the Airpods Max untethered and uses a USB-C battery when tethered, it will allow switching battery without shutting down.

The 256GB 11" dual-OLED M4 iPad Pro is $999.
    The 256GB M2 Apple Vision Pro is $3499.

Somewhere in the middle, they can turn an 11" M4 iPad Pro into a wearable, even with $700 OLED display panels. Somewhere around $1500 would be more mainstream but $1999 should be achievable.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    roakeroake Posts: 820member
    I just want to be able to eat popcorn while I’m watching a movie!

Right now it’s impossible because with every time I pick up a piece to put in my mouth, the AVP thinks I’m trying to do tap gestures, constantly scrubbing to a different spot in the video, closing the window, “clicking” on other videos, other annoying crap.  Pisses me off!  Why can’t I just “lock” tap commands until the video is over (or until I unlock)?

Other than that, I love it!  It’s increasingly part of my workflow.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 20
    XedXed Posts: 2,683member
    Pema said:

It hasn't even been out for 6 months. The original iPod was a single model with 2 storage options.  The original iPhone was just a single model, with 2 storage options. In that regard, AVP has three storage options. The original iPad did have 3 storage options, too, as well as another option for cellular, but that's still the same basic device and the cellular option just made it even more expensive, which would not work for your position since you already said it was too costly, not that it didn't also include a cellular chip. I bet there are a plethora of other Apple products that started as essentially one product with only a small variance in SKU options that eventually cascading into a much larger selection (like the original MacBook Air) but I think my point has been made.

StrangeDayswilliamlondonjas99
  • Reply 15 of 20
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,620member
    Pema said:

To be honest, I had never heard of that device. So I just googled it, and found this comment on the NY Times website:

In April, reviewers brutally panned the new $699 product, which Humane had marketed for a year with ads and at glitzy events like Paris Fashion Week. The Ai Pin was “totally broken” and had “glaring flaws,” some reviewers said. One declared it “the worst product I’ve ever reviewed." About a week after the reviews came out, Humane started talking to HP, the computer and printer company, about selling itself”

On June 7, the company that makes the Humane AI pin warned customers about charging the device because it may start a fire. Here are there exact words:

Out of an abundance of caution, we are reaching out today to ask that you immediately stop using and charging your Charge Case Accessory due to an issue with certain battery cells for the Charge Case Accessory.
    Upon receiving a single report of a charging issue while using a third-party USB-C cable and third-party power source, we identified a quality issue with the battery cell supplied by a third-party vendor used in your Charge Case Accessory.
    Our investigation determined that the battery supplier was no longer meeting our quality standards and that there is a potential that certain battery cells supplied by this vendor may pose a fire safety risk. As a result, we immediately disqualified this battery vendor while we work to identify a new vendor to avoid such issues and maintain our high quality standards.
    The issue identified is isolated only to certain battery cells used in the Charge Case Accessory and is not related to the Charge Case Accessory hardware design.
    Importantly, Humane’s Ai Pin, its Battery Booster(s) and Charge Pad are not affected as the disqualified vendor does not supply batteries or any other components of those Humane products, and are safe for continued use. 
    While we know this may cause an inconvenience to you, customer safety is our priority at Humane. We design Ai Pin and related accessories with safety top of mind, and rigorously test and certify them to applicable US and international safety standards.
    We appreciate your understanding and will be providing you with two additional months free of the Humane subscription. 
    Rest assured we are committed to your safety and satisfaction and will share additional information when we have concluded our investigation.
    The Humane Team

edited June 23
  • Reply 16 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,938member
    Pema said:
    You’re talking back in the stone ages when computers were just becoming a thing for the masses. The Mac being the first successful modern computer (the likes of which we are still using today). 

Not a good comparison. 

In contrast, headsets have been a thing since 1968 (sword of Damocles) with the first true commercially available one in 1995 (mass market failure in Nintendo virtual boy) and then the father of all modern headsets in oculus circa 2011, over 13 years ago. It’s not like there wasn’t time to figure out a lineup.

There’s a reason why we heard rumblings of apple management not being sold on this yet. It wasn’t ready to take over. Was prematurely sent to market. 

Nonsense. It’s a perfectly apt comparison, especially since wearables are a new category with nothing but niche adoption. Regardless, the AVP is a brand new product with new technology and development costs. This is exactly how economies of scale work — New Thing with new R&D is expensive to start, then gets less expensive as sales increase and tooling decreases. This is not rocket science nor new. 

Nor was AVP “premature”. Its capabilities outstrip every other similar device, by a long shot. Is it in its ideal form? Of course not, iterative development is the name of the game, for all things. Crawl, walk, run. “If you’re not embarrassed by your first version, you released too late.”

As for “the real thing” (glasses), that’s certainly going to be cool, but it will also be a different product. Purely AR with no VR. And also likely decades away. Waiting for that is as absurd as saying tube TV manufactures of decades past should have waited for flat panels! The original Macintosh has a puny B&W screen and very limited capabilities (despite costing twice as much as the AVP for the time), should they have waited until the iMac!? The original iPhone didn’t even have a video camera or even copy & paste, should they have waited? Lord no! 

Some of you don’t really understand how product development works. Contemporary products don’t spring out of a clamshell fully formed. Iterative development is how we get there. 

Gruber wrote about this almost 15 years ago:

https://www.macworld.com/article/205387/apple-rolls.html
    edited June 23 brometheuswilliamlondonjas99fastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 20
    CarmBCarmB Posts: 83member
    Apple tends to play a long game. When Apple launched a smart watch I wondered what the point was. Now I have an Apple Watch (Gen. 4) that I regard as indispensable. The launch Vision Pro is absolutely not a viable consumer product. It does a lot of things well enough but the price is utterly unworkable for the vast majority of consumers. Here's the thing though. Apple, I imagine, is aware that the current Vision Pro is too expensive and not as refined as it needs to be to become a meaningful source of revenue. So why launch an expensive, not fully evolved Vision Pro? Well, get units into the hands of willing consumers in real-world scenarios and what you gain is feedback. Internal testing can only take you so far. It may take four, five, maybe six  years for the Vision Pro to become like the watch is today but no doubt Apple is focusing on that four- to six-year window during which the Vision Pro approaches its potential. Apple has the resources to work through that multi-year strategy. Few other companies could pull this off. 
    brometheusjas99fastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 20
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,322member
    Pema said:

A lot of illogical statements here.
    Sorry you can't afford or won't spend the dollars on this first-of-its-kind product today. Like every other technology since the dawn of time, the price will drop as the market takes hold and the user base increases. Because it is too "rich" for YOU, does not mean the product was "botched".

• I paid at least $2500 in 1988 dollars for a Mac SE with dual floppies because I couldn't spring for the 20MB (yes, MB!) hard drive.That was a lot compared to many PCs on the market.
    • You "cannot begin to imagine Apple releasing just the one iPhone model" No need to imagine, That's really unbelievable. When the first iPhone was launched, there were a couple of configuration options, but there was only one model.There was no "tiered line" because it was the first.
    • Same for the iPad.
    • No trade-ins for either of those at introduction. As, again, they were the first.
    • If I remember correctly, there was no AT&T (only provider at launch) subsidies either, making the first iPhone even more expensive compared to other device. Somehow the iPhone succeeded anyway.

Personally, I don't have a use case for the Vision Pro right now at any price, but I can certainly appreciate it as an amazing product and game-changing interface.
    Your post reads like you can't afford it, so you will bash it instead.

williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,445member
    Pema said:
    This all looks great. What isn't great is that the Vision Pro is too expensive. There are no tiers like with any other major Apple product. [...]
    I cannot begin to imagine Apple releasing just the one iPhone model
    That's literally what happened with the first several models of iPhone, aside from tiered storage, which the AVP also has. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 

Just because you can't afford it (or don't want to) doesn't make it too expensive. It's priced appropriately for what it is. 

You don't have to though. You probably should to ensure getting the best fit possible, but you don't *need* to.

What are you talking about? You can trade in any of your Apple devices at any time for store credit. 

I would suggest that somewhere along the line Apple botched this product from wow to go. Tim Cook needed a headline grabbing product and pushed for its release before it was ready.
    The first iPhone didn't have MMS, copy and paste, or App Store, etc. Clearly they shouldn't have released it until it was the iPhone 4! 🙄

The iPhone 16 that nobody has seen yet outside of Apple? Sure, looks like a winner! You've clearly established the cost/value of the iPhone is worth it for you. It's not there for the AVP now or anytime in the foreseeable future. Maybe never.

What doesn't make sense is declaring a new product/platform as a failure because you don't want to pay for it. I didn't spend years ranting about OLED TVs being failures up until the time at which I felt like the price had come down enough to make it an attractive purchase for me. It's like the ridiculous questions in forums like "Is a MacBook Pro worth it?" which of course is meaningless without knowing what your use case is, the value you'd get out of such a device, your financial situation, so forth.  
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonmike1
  • Reply 20 of 20
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,322member
    Pema said:
    This all looks great. What isn't great is that the Vision Pro is too expensive. There are no tiers like with any other major Apple product. [...]
    I cannot begin to imagine Apple releasing just the one iPhone model
    That's literally what happened with the first several models of iPhone, aside from tiered storage, which the AVP also has. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 

Just because you can't afford it (or don't want to) doesn't make it too expensive. It's priced appropriately for what it is. 

You don't have to though. You probably should to ensure getting the best fit possible, but you don't *need* to.

What are you talking about? You can trade in any of your Apple devices at any time for store credit. 

I would suggest that somewhere along the line Apple botched this product from wow to go. Tim Cook needed a headline grabbing product and pushed for its release before it was ready.
    The first iPhone didn't have MMS, copy and paste, or App Store, etc. Clearly they shouldn't have released it until it was the iPhone 4! 🙄

The iPhone 16 that nobody has seen yet outside of Apple? Sure, looks like a winner! You've clearly established the cost/value of the iPhone is worth it for you. It's not there for the AVP now or anytime in the foreseeable future. Maybe never.

What doesn't make sense is declaring a new product/platform as a failure because you don't want to pay for it. I didn't spend years ranting about OLED TVs being failures up until the time at which I felt like the price had come down enough to make it an attractive purchase for me. It's like the ridiculous questions in forums like "Is a MacBook Pro worth it?" which of course is meaningless without knowing what your use case is, the value you'd get out of such a device, your financial situation, so forth.  

LOL. We both essentially said the same thing.