iPhone 15 Pro Max somehow fails to survive having a 90lb dumbbell dropped on it

Posted:
in iPhone

Second time's the charm: A personal trainer again accidentally dropped a gym weight on his iPhone 15 Pro Max, discovering that physics are remorseless and iPhones aren't invulnerable.

Person in a yellow shirt and blue shorts lifting weights in a gym with various exercise equipment around.
The moment Kyle Counts' smashed iPhone began to smoke and spark

There are people who destroy devices to make idiotic YouTube videos, and there's Apple that might destroy thousands of them in testing. But then there are also people like personal trainer Kyle Counts who wouldn't dream of smashing a costly iPhone -- but accidentally do precisely that. Many times.

As reported by Newsflare, Counts was working a triceps exercise in a gym in Scapoose, Oregon when his iPhone fell out of his pocket. He didn't notice it until the end of his exercise when he dropped the 90 pound dumbbell he was using, onto the floor and right onto the iPhone.

The gym's security footage shows the accident, plus Counts' face looking exactly like anyone's would after this. But then he picked up the iPhone and smoke began coming out of it -- and it began sparking.

"I was initially annoyed but the screen was still on and working until it lit up like a roman candle in my hand," said Counts.

"Obviously my first instinct was drop the phone but when I saw it wasn't just smoking but started sparking I grabbed it as fast as I could and ran outside through the emergency exit," he continued. "The phone kept sparking so I tried to kick it with my foot into a puddle to submerge it to hopefully put out the fire."

"It just boiled in the water for a bit before finally smouldering out," he said. "I didn't really have time to think about anything apart from getting that smoke out of the gym as fast as possible."

Dropping a weight on an iPhone turns out to be less of a rare event than it should be -- if you're Kyle Counts. "I have dropped a dumbbell on my phone twice and broke it in the car door twice," he added.

It's not clear whether his phones were destroyed each time, but of the four incidents, he says this is the worst. "They have never emitted any smoke or gas before," he said.

Perhaps his best option is to leave his iPhones in a locker. But he could also try ruggedized iPhone cases, just as a start.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    omasouomasou Posts: 606member
    Why bother posting about this, directing more people to click on it. It only encourage more of this type of garbage YouTube content.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 521member
    omasou said:
    Why bother posting about this, directing more people to click on it. It only encourage more of this type of garbage YouTube content.
    Yeah, I kept looking for the news/insight in this. With a billion iPhones in pockets worldwide, they are clearly being subject to accidents and abuse in every way. I come to AppleInsider for news and insider info, but maybe they're rebranding to include chuckles and snark.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,842member
    omasou said:
    Yeah, I kept looking for the news/insight in this. With a billion iPhones in pockets worldwide, they are clearly being subject to accidents and abuse in every way. I come to AppleInsider for news and insider info, but maybe they're rebranding to include chuckles and snark.
    This would qualify as ‘chuckles and snark’. I don’t have a problem with that occasionally though. 
    baconstangdewmeBart Y
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Well, there's the warning about kicking a lithium based battery into a puddle of water...
    Bart Y
  • Reply 5 of 13
    kdupuis77kdupuis77 Posts: 120member
    "There are people who destroy devices to make idiotic YouTube videos,"

Again find it strange the AI staff seem to take others' destruction of their Apple devices, for which they personally, or through a sponsor, have paid for them, quite so personally. Yeah, there's the kids that buy PS5s and smash them in front of release day lines at BestBuy just for clicks... But JerryRigEverything does his series of bend test/teardown videos every week of differing types/brands of technology. Not only that, but often times he'll get high quality photos of the insides for dBrand to make skins with, so it's typically of no cost to him and ultimately serves that purpose as well as serving as a 3rd party verification of Apple's own durability claims. If anything, Zack's M4 iPad Pro video mainly served to verify that Apple did indeed reinforce the structural design of their iPad Pro line to prevent accidental/unintentional bending during ownership (and of course not built to withstand intentional destruction haha). I think seeing exactly how much torture needs to be inflicted to cause such a catastrophic failure makes me feel better about the long term durability of my latest purchase. This is like the 4th article here in recent times I've read with this slant.. Maybe same writer/editor perhaps?

As for the gym guy... If there was ever a poster child for the case of purchasing AppleCare+ he would it haha. Good on him at least for recognizing the actual danger of lithium ion battery fire and taking the appropriate action at least. That's one expensive roman candle haha.
    edited June 24 beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Many electronic devices, or containing gasoline, will go up in a blaze of glory if damaged sufficiently.  

Gasoline tankers, refineries, chemical plants, trains, planes and electrical transformers explode multiple times a year.  

Television sets, refrigerators, dryers, ovens and other home appliances burn down homes many times a year.  

Anything with a high capacity battery (even a 12 volt car battery with a gasoline leak or certain other fluid leaks) can go up in flames.  

Short circuits, especially in homes with over-sized fuses or other safety features defeated, can burn down the house.  
    Safer to store flammables in an explosion resistant cabinet, such as used by many companies to protect workers and plant equipment.  

Mobile electronic equipment will be safer when/if solid state batteries eventually become available.  
    Fire resistant chemicals used for circuit boards and fire-fighter clothing have been linked with health concerns.  
    edited June 24
  • Reply 7 of 13
    If he's a personal trainer, why are his legs so scrawny?

Frankly, this guy is a menace. First, too dumb to know that lithium and water don't mix. Second, he keeps dropping heavy weights at the gym. Any gym should ban him because he's hazardous to their equipment and to their other clients.
    Bart Y
  • Reply 8 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,387moderator
    omasou said:
    Yeah, I kept looking for the news/insight in this.
    This is an old video from January but it's interesting to see how people react to this situation. What the person did in the video is probably not the safest way to deal with it. Sometimes the phone explodes or bursts into flames and can cause serious damage to someone's hand if they are carrying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZvCV_Eom8s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmoQdqGZhCU
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/mobile-phones/lawsuits-filed-against-apple-after-iphone-and-smartwatch-overheat-and-catch-fire/news-story/9a5762148e913e0f13ec005271ba8be1

At the same time, someone in that situation would feel like they should get the device out of the way of other people quickly and to try and avoid a fire starting.

There should really be some official public safety measures to handle this in the most appropriate way, the same way there is for oil fires. On planes they have fireproof bags to put devices in if they catch fire but the official guidelines say to first cool the device with water or other liquid to prevent further thermal runaway:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_120-80B.pdf

Although water reacts strongly with lithium, there's a small amount in the batteries and the cooling effect can stop more cells going into thermal runaway. Once the thermal runaway has stopped, the device can be put in a fireproof bag, which can contain some of the smoke. A safe procedure would be something like:

- stay clear of the device, out of the way of smoke inhalation and explosion
    - cool it down with liquid
    - put it in a container e.g metal pot and keep it covered

Hopefully solid state batteries aren't far off and these kind of measures won't be needed.
    ddawson100Bart Y
  • Reply 9 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,386member
    I’m happy to help you with this.

The insight you’re supposed to get from reading this story is “don’t be this dummy.”

PS. Chuckles & Snark were such a great vaudeville duo. :)
    JFC_PAronndewmeBart Y
  • Reply 10 of 13
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 936member
    As a stockholder I applaud this guy for his picking up the slack in slower sales times by having to constantly replace his destroyed iPhone. Rock on! And make sure your backups are current. 
    edited June 24 Bart Y
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bmrslcbmrslc Posts: 3member
    I’m guessing the person who wrote this article doesn’t lift weights. they suggest leaving your phone in the locker. some of us have our workouts on an app, or we track our workouts on our phones, so we can monitor our progress. maybe if I was going for a run, then sure, I could leave it behind because I have my Watch. but I’m not leaving it in a locker when I’m lifting. 
    dewme
  • Reply 12 of 13
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,460member
    He said he had it happen twice before... and he still have NOT learned anything? 

Bart Y
  • Reply 13 of 13
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,037member
    I see many phones on the floor in the free weight area of the gym every time I'm there. I also see a lot of them with smashed screens. Not smart.
    Bart Y