You can own Steve Jobs' iconic 1984 Macintosh ad suit -- but it'll cost you

Posted:
in General Discussion

An auction loaded with clothing worn by former Apple CEO Steve Jobs features a famous suit he wore to promote the Mac -- and it alone is expected to bring in $30,000.

Steve Jobs in blue pin-stripe suit with clasped hands, vintage computer displaying artwork, suit on display with a Macintosh pin.
Image credit: Julien's Auctions

You, too, can own a piece of Apple advertising history -- if you're willing to fight for it on the auction block. Steve Jobs' iconic blue pin-striped suit, worn in a January 1984 marketing photograph, is currently up for bid.

Jobs famously wore the suit in an ad promoting the debut of the Macintosh.

"The 100% cupro suit features thin vertical stripes throughout, with two front pockets, one breast pocket, three interior pockets, grey buttons, a cream silk-blend lining, size tag reads "39/49." Together with a pair of matching dress pants, size 39L," reads the Julien's Auctions auction listing.

As a bonus, it also includes a vintage Apple Macintosh pin found in the pocket and the original wooden hanger. The white shirt Jobs wore, however, is not -- you'll have to provide your own.

If blue isn't your color, Jobs' taupe and white striped wool, two-piece suit by DiMitri Couture is up for bid, too. Jobs was photographed wearing it at a friend's retirement party.

Should you not want to drop quite that much on an article of Jobs' wardrobe, there are currently two ties from his wardrobe up for bid. The first is a slate blue Wilkes Bashford San Francisco brand necktie worn in a 1980s photoshoot.

The second is a brown silk Polo Ralph Lauren brand necktie worn in a 1977 Apple-II release photo. Each tie is valued at around $2,000.

Jobs-related items tend to command a strong price at auction. For example, a $4.01 check Jobs wrote to RadioShack commanded over $46,000 at auction in December.

Before that, an Apple check signed by Jobs from July 1976 also went up for auction. However, that check to pay Crampton, Remke, and Miller, Inc $175 eventually sold for just under $107,000.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 446member
    If I was Job's former wife. I would acquire all this macabre stuff to block private owners, I find it very distasteful. 
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Of course… there are collector for anything… but I would pay 46K for a hand-written check than anything for a a sweaty… then (I hope) cleaned… suit!

(And no… I would not buy the $4,01 check!)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    M68000M68000 Posts: 774member
    kkqd1337 said:
    If I was Job's former wife. I would acquire all this macabre stuff to block private owners, I find it very distasteful. 
    Agreed,  the idea of wanting to have somebody else’s clothes is a bit weird to me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,939member
    Am I missing it or does the listing not explain how they came to have the suit that is supposedly the one he wore at the event?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    radster360radster360 Posts: 547member
    What’s wrong with buying his clothing? If someone can provide me with authenticity certificate I will buy it. I would have loved to buy his glasses that he wore 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I am never ceased to be amazed what people spend their money on.

I do not see the point in criticizing what people want buy. Some buy wine, guns or drugs and some buy -a suit that a tech guru once wear in an advertisement. 

Your money spend as you pleases.