ChatGPT for Mac now available for everyone

Posted:
in Mac Software

Replace Apple's Spotlight search with ChatGPT for Mac, which can take screenshots, analyze files, and review text with a simple keyboard shortcut.

A Mac desktop with a ChatGPT message bar
ChatGPT for Mac now available

Apple may not be releasing Apple Intelligence or ChatGPT integration with macOS Sequoia until later in 2024, but users can bring AI to their Mac today. The new ChatGPT app for Mac is now available for all users beyond just Plus subscribers.

Users can set up the CMD + Space keyboard shortcut to summon ChatGPT, which means replacing Spotlight. The app works with macOS Sonoma or later on Macs with M-series processors.

A Windows version is coming later in 2024.

ChatGPT for Mac provides simple tools for taking screenshots that can be uploaded directly into a query. The same can be done with files, images, or text selected by the user.

Conversations with the app will be archived and searchable. Users can even interact via voice, and ChatGPT 4o will be available at a later date.

Get ChatGPT for Mac from the OpenAI website.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,784member
    AppleInsider said:

The app works with macOS Sonoma or later on Macs with M-series processors.

So every single person with an Intel Mac has upgraded to an Mx Mac have they, Wesley?
    hexclock
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I have been playing with it to do matrix calculus derivations but a lot of times the LaTeX rendering fails and you just get the code.
    dewme
  • Reply 3 of 12
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 132member
    elijahg said:

So every single person with an Intel Mac has upgraded to an Mx Mac have they, Wesley?
    Yes, anyone with any sense, as well as anyone with any cents. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 214member, administrator, moderator, editor
    elijahg said:
    AppleInsider said:

Yep, because by "everyone" I clearly meant every Mac ever. PowerPC too. Why not. Especially since I totally didn't explain "everyone" in the second paragraph.
    muthuk_vanalingam12Strangerslotoneswilliamlondonbobbobsonfastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,275member
    There’s still plenty of functional Intel Macs out there. 
    williamlondonelijahg
  • Reply 6 of 12
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,784member
    elijahg said:
    AppleInsider said:

Yep, because by "everyone" I clearly meant every Mac ever. PowerPC too. Why not. Especially since I totally didn't explain "everyone" in the second paragraph.
    So what you say is “ChatGPT app for Apple Silicon Macs now available for everyone”.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    XedXed Posts: 2,686member
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    AppleInsider said:

So what you say is “ChatGPT app for Apple Silicon Macs now available for everyone”.
    If you're going to be pedantic about it, it is available to everyone, it just doesn't run on every Mac. IOW, if someone with an Intel Mac wants to use the macOS ChatGPT app they can obtain an M-series Mac.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 12
    lotoneslotones Posts: 67member
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    AppleInsider said:

Apple Silicon Macs are available to everyone. Whether or not you can afford one doesn't mean they aren''t available.

Therefore ChatGPT for Mac is available to everyone also.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 12
    You don't all have to quote the troll on my ignore list.  ;) He's there for a reason.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 10 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,076member
    hexclock said:
    There’s still plenty of functional Intel Macs out there. 
    The old Intel chips are ancient history.......
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 12
    What about my pristine Mac Quadra 840AV (40MHz 68040 baby!) WITH the exclusive AT&T 3210 DSP processor!!!  LFG!  😪
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 12
    This one doesn't have all the privacy features I guess...   why installing this one instead of waiting the one that's gonna be part of Apple Intelligence? 

I don't quite get why Open Ai is launching this. 
    "The desktop app is only available for macOS 14+ with Apple Silicon (M1 or better). "... same thing.
    edited 10:29AM