How to use CarPlay's handy new features in iOS 18

Posted:
in iOS edited June 27

In the new iOS 18, Apple CarPlay gets extra accessibility options, plus little new touches that while small, are particularly welcome. Here's how to use them.

Car infotainment screen displaying iPhone sound recognition settings with sound recognition toggled on and car horn recognition toggled off. Various app icons are shown on the left side.
CarPlay has added features such as listening out for police sirens when you're playing music too loud

It's a curious thing, but Apple has said a lot about how a future version of CarPlay will work with cars like Porsche -- yet didn't say a word about how it's been improved for all of us right now. In the iOS 18 beta, CarPlay has new options and a helpful change to Messages.

Specifically, when you get a notification that you have a new Message, that banner will include a photo of the sender, if you have one in your Contacts list.

Plus going in to the Messages app, there's still the same text list of recent messages, but there's more. That same Contacts photo is displayed to the left of the sender's message.

This is all about making it much faster to identify important messages. The idea is to let you see with a glance that it's the message you've been waiting for, and you can ignore it if it isn't.

Notifications

If you plug your iPhone into your car with a cable, you may find that notifications sound on both CarPlay and on the phone. You may also find that you don't care -- as long as you hear the important ones, let them sound out twice.

Not all the new features are accessibility ones. Some are meant to solve CarPlay irritations
Not all the new features are accessibility ones. Some are meant to solve CarPlay irritations

But if it does irritate you, you can now change it, starting with a tap on the Settings icon. Depending on whether you've rearranged CarPlay icons, you may have to swipe left or right to find it, but find it and tap it.

Within Settings, choose Sounds. By default, the section that appears will be set to Do not change Silent Mode.

But there's also a Turn Silent Mode On option, and one for off, too. If you choose to turn Silent Mode on, your iPhone will automatically shut up whenever you're connected to CarPlay.

Sound recognition

There are now two types of audio recognition in CarPlay, starting with your own Voice Control. Like the similar feature on iOS 18 itself, this is an accessibility option that lets you use CarPlay verbally.

So far it's not consistent, and can't do a great deal. But it is possible, most of the time, to be able to ask to open Maps, for instance -- and do so by solely saying "Open Maps," without having to say "Siri," first.

That's all under Settings and Accessibility. Also in this section is a Sound Recognition feature.

With this, your iPhone will constantly listen out for car horns, sirens, or both. If it hears either, it will display a notification on screen.

You have to first turn on Sound Recognition, then turn on your choice the Car Horn, or the Siren.

A car infotainment system display showing app icons including Audiobooks, Settings, Audible, Hyundai, JustPark, Podbean, RingGo, and Skype.
One of several options to help with visual issues is a grayscale feature

There are visual updates too

The new CarPlay for iOS 18 also features accessibility options to help with visual issues. There's obviously a limit, but via Settings, Accessibility, you can choose to turn on Bold Text.

You can also select from a small range of Color Filters. They're meant to help with conditions such as deuteranopia, where you can't readily distinguish between green and some reds.

Or similarly, protanopia, where it's hard to tell red and some blue tones apart.

CarPlay offers color filters to help, which make the contrast better between problematic colors. Most are so subtle that unless you have the condition, it's hard to register the difference.

But there is one clear and unmistakable color option. CarPlay can turn the whole screen from color to greyscale.

It's still in beta

CarPlay is not going to get Apple Intelligence directly -- it might benefit from any AI features in Apple Maps. And it's also not going to add any unexpected extra features.

But it is still in an early beta. Anything could change between now and the official release.

However, the most likely change is only that at some point Apple may add extra wallpaper options.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I'd like to see some ability to manage CarPlay centrally. For example, roll out a branded wallpaper across a fleet, have the ability to track vehicle location, retrieve vehicle telemetry data etc. For a business fleet, this could be a defining decision maker when upgrading both vehicles and mobile devices. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I'd love to be able to edit the default order of icons, so when I rent a car (I travel frequently) I don't need to reinvent the wheel each time.
    VictorMortimerwilliamlondonroundaboutnow
  • Reply 3 of 18
    PemaPema Posts: 53member
    All these improvements to Apple Car Play is utter and total nonsense. The app does nothing more than mimicking a few minor functions that are of little value to the motorist. 

I use Google Maps and Google Search. If I am planning a destination I simply go to Google Search, find the location, then click on directions which then get cast to the head screen and I get there quickly, efficiently and safely. 
    I will never, ever use Apple Car Play not since the fiasco with Apple Maps when motorists where directed off the road to an embankment then to an airport in front of airplanes. Apple Maps is like Microsoft Bing never, ever to be used or trusted. 

The only thing that will ever improve my experience and make me consider even looking at Apple Car Play is if they introduce casting. That means that if I am watching the news or any other program while I am driving I can occasionally glance at the screen when it safe to do so and then continue driving. 

When I had an Android Pixel Phone I could do that. The reason that I replaced it with an iPhone is because of security. Android is bug ridden everyone knows that. 

That said there is no reason why Apple cannot add a feature to Apple Car Play to distinguish it from Google Car Play in order to let the motorist cast the phone screen to the head screen. Not minor, silly functionality. 

Incidentally Google Car Play does not do that of itself. You have to root the phone. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Pema said:

That said there is no reason why Apple cannot add a feature to Apple Car Play to distinguish it from Google Car Play in order to let the motorist cast the phone screen to the head screen.  

No reason except that in most US states (all?) it is illegal (to show video that could be distracting to the operator of the vehicle). 
    edited June 26 PetrolDavemeterestnzfred1mistergsfroundaboutnow
  • Reply 5 of 18
    What I would like to see is the ability to adjust the volume. Whether playing the car’s own media sources or the iPhone, when directions or warnings are given it is loud enough to make everyone in the car cringe. If for some reason I’ve missed a setting step, HELP (deliberately shouting)
  • Reply 6 of 18
    adept1adept1 Posts: 10member
    Apple CarPlay 100% supports Google Maps natively. Waze too if you're into that.

I don't expect it will ever allow casting or playing of videos, even if the vehicle is stopped/parked. Too much liability.

Pema said:
    All these improvements to Apple Car Play is utter and total nonsense. The app does nothing more than mimicking a few minor functions that are of little value to the motorist. 

I use Google Maps and Google Search. If I am planning a destination I simply go to Google Search, find the location, then click on directions which then get cast to the head screen and I get there quickly, efficiently and safely. 
    I will never, ever use Apple Car Play not since the fiasco with Apple Maps when motorists where directed off the road to an embankment then to an airport in front of airplanes. Apple Maps is like Microsoft Bing never, ever to be used or trusted. 

The only thing that will ever improve my experience and make me consider even looking at Apple Car Play is if they introduce casting. That means that if I am watching the news or any other program while I am driving I can occasionally glance at the screen when it safe to do so and then continue driving. 

When I had an Android Pixel Phone I could do that. The reason that I replaced it with an iPhone is because of security. Android is bug ridden everyone knows that. 

That said there is no reason why Apple cannot add a feature to Apple Car Play to distinguish it from Google Car Play in order to let the motorist cast the phone screen to the head screen. Not minor, silly functionality. 

Incidentally Google Car Play does not do that of itself. You have to root the phone. 

stevemebs
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Pema said:

That said there is no reason why Apple cannot add a feature to Apple Car Play to distinguish it from Google Car Play in order to let the motorist cast the phone screen to the head screen.  

No reason except that in most US states (all?) it is illegal (to show video that could be distracting to the operator of the vehicle). 
    How is that even remotely enforceable? If you have turn-by-turn navigation on your head screen you are intermittently looking at the screen anyway so you anticipate your next step along the way. 
    If you are casting CNN or any other news, it would be similarly distracting to viewing a talking map. Would it not? 

williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 18
    adept1 said:
    Apple CarPlay 100% supports Google Maps natively. Waze too if you're into that.

I don't expect it will ever allow casting or playing of videos, even if the vehicle is stopped/parked. Too much liability.

Pema said:

Yes adept1 Google pays Apple multiple mullahs $$$$ to keep Google Search at the forefront. We all know that. Unless you live in a remote region of the Appalachia you would have read about the cozy relationship between the two. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 18
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 237member
    “Continuously listening” not for me. It’s time to limit the penetration of tech in my life. Less is more. No AI service providers and/or continuous listening options. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 18
    tomowatomowa Posts: 8member
    What would be nice, is when iPhone is connected to CarPlay, contacts you have previously selected, nothing from them makes it to CarPlay. 
    Just to keep such contacts and their incoming message or call, safe from wife (or husband, as may be….) from being publicly announced.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Pema said:

What for you is "utter and total nonsense" is for me, and I suspect others, very nice to have quality of life improvements.  Not essential, but certainly not useless.  I'm not going to try to convince you of that; you've staked out quite clearly that your position that your opinion is the only one that should matter.

Pema said:

On the other hand, the things you seem to think are essential, "casting" and the need to root the phone to accomplish "a few minor functions" are things that I, and I suspect others, find to be of no use whatsoever.

roundaboutnowelijahg
  • Reply 12 of 18
    What is this sound recognition nonsense?
    If your music is so loud that you don't hear a siren, turn it down.
    And if your hearing is so impaired that you wouldn't hear a siren then you should not be driving.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 18
    danielito said:
    And if your hearing is so impaired that you wouldn't hear a siren then you should not be driving.
    I know some people who have been deaf since birth that would disagree with you. 
    williamlondonroundaboutnowbeowulfschmidtelijahg
  • Reply 14 of 18
    AfarstarAfarstar Posts: 59member
    I'd love to be able to edit the default order of icons, so when I rent a car (I travel frequently) I don't need to reinvent the wheel each time.
    You can. 
    Settings>General>CarPlay>
    Select your car and then Customise. 
    You are welcome. 
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 244member
    Pema said:
    The app does nothing more than mimicking a few minor functions that are of little value to the motorist. 

Apple CarPlay does not "mimick", it mirrors your iPhone's features through the vehicle's infotainment screen. This includes navigation, calling, messaging and music.  I find all that of great value.  Especially lane assist and announcements when traffic cameras are around for example.  Also, being able to open and close my garage door.  Can't live without these conveniences anymore.

Also, to not use Apple Maps because of a poor rollout in (2012?) is short-sighted.  It's 2024 and it's been improving year over year.  Give it a go.  You might be amazed when you get into your car and CarPlay knows you have an appointment to get to and offers directions before you even back out of your garage.

I don't believe it's legal in California (and other states) to have video playing in the driver's seat so that's why no "casting" from iPhone to display.

williamlondonroundaboutnow
  • Reply 16 of 18
    guerroguerro Posts: 9member
    Steveadee said:
    What I would like to see is the ability to adjust the volume. Whether playing the car’s own media sources or the iPhone, when directions or warnings are given it is loud enough to make everyone in the car cringe. If for some reason I’ve missed a setting step, HELP (deliberately shouting)
    Hello, 

I had the opposite problem, Siri directions being too quiet.  I found two ways to adjust the volume:

On your iPhone, Settings > Maps > Voice Indications, there are three settings:  High, Normal, Low

However, the one that I find most useful: While Siri is actively giving you directions: Using your car's volume control, lower or raise the volume to the level you want. This adjusts the volume of Siri, not what ever is playing in the background. You have to do this while Siri is actively talking, or it controls the general volume.

• Reply 17 of 18
    Afarstar said:
    You can. 
    Settings>General>CarPlay>
    Select your car and then Customise. 
    You are welcome. 
    Thanks, but you have to do that for EACH car you drive. I have to travel for work once or twice a month, renting a different car for each trip. I'd love to tweak the default icon set/configuration, so it would automagically be applied to every rental. I understand this is a first-world problem, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be doable.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    danielito said:
    Wow. Maybe not wherever it is you are from, but where I live emergency vehicles also have bright flashing lights so that you can spot them visually without ever hearing them. But beyond your ridiculous hot take, there are plenty of people whose hearing is not what it once was, perhaps you someday, who might like the early warning that the second set of ears an iPhone warning could give them.