There are drastic steps to take, if your tattoo is hampering your Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch

If you're thinking about getting a wrist tattoo, your Apple Watch may not be able to detect your pulse -- but it's fixable with some money and pain.

Wrist with a tattoo wearing a smartwatch with a metal mesh band, against a wooden surface.
An Apple Watch could have trouble with a user's tattoos

The Apple Watch, like many other wrist wearables, relies on light to gather data points about a user's heart activity. However, users with tattoos on their wrist can sometimes find that the sensor doesn't work all the time.

In a post to TikTok, a person is seen undergoing a laser tattoo removal procedure on their wrist. A tattoo sleeve covers the wrist, which causes the Apple Watch sensor to fail.

The laser treatment is performed on the outside of the user's wrist within a temporarily drawn circle. The 15-second clip shows part of the procedure, with the tattoo being vaporized by the laser.

Posted by cosmetic nurse Maryam Khatibi on May 24, the video has so far garnered 3.5 million views on the social media service to date.

Explaining to Newsweek, Khatibi said that the patient had four sessions to remove the tattoo, costing 380 euros ($418).

Blocked light

This is a problem that some Apple Watch users have encountered for quite some time, with reports on the matter spanning almost as long as the Apple Watch has existed.

The Apple Watch monitors the user's pulse and blood oxygen level using a process known as photolethysmography. By shining infrared and green lights into the skin, the sensors in the Apple Watch can detect blood flow.

As red blood can reflect red light and absorb green light, by using infrared and green LEDs and photodiodes, the Apple Watch can detect the amount of blood flow in the wrist at that moment. Thanks to green light absorption being greater with flows from a heartbeat, the Apple Watch can also detect a user's pulse.

Infrared is usually used for heart rate notifications and for background monitoring. Green is used to measure the heart rate during workouts and Breathe sessions.

Apple does warn that "Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact the performance of the heart rate sensor." It's explained that the ink, pattern, and saturation of a tattoo can block light from reaching the sensor, which can interfere with readings.

There are some ways to work around a tattoo, such as wearing the Apple Watch on the opposite wrist if that arm doesn't have an interfering tattoo. It's also possible to connect the Apple Watch to external heart rate monitors, including Bluetooth chest straps, for monitoring during workouts.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,461member
    Surprised you didn't mention another solution: Oura which is a ring that monitors your health as well. 
    edited June 27 VictorMortimer
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I don't have any tattoos.  But if I did, there's no way I'd have them removed just to make a few features on any watch work better.

BGnATCtimpetusgrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 14
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,385member
    Natural skin.  It does a body good.

Tattoos are the modern equivalent of 1970s bell bottom pants.  It's a fad. After a couple generations, people will probably wisen up and stop getting inked like their insane parents.  Problem is, when the fad is over, you can't just wist those near-permanent tattoos away like you can throw horrible looking pants into the garbage bin.  

People do the dumbest things when they are young.  In the past, it was mainly sailors or select folk in the US military who tended to go for ink on skin.  Now, it seems like everybody (in the USA, thankfully not here in Japan) are doing the deed, only to later discover the caveats.  

Aside from malfunctioning Apple watches though, one would be wise to bear in mind how those tattoos will look in the future.  I vividly recall a preacher in church who showed me the tattoos he got in his younger days. They were all over his forearms.  I saw them when he was in his 70's, and they looked awful.  Ink under skin doesn't age gracefully, let me tell you.

Besides all this, I think human beings are too fickle to get something permanently done.  Will you really enjoy the same thing 20 years hence that you enjoy today?  I know I don't.  Things change.  People change.  Tattoos change too, but only in a bad way.

What would be really neat is if you could get a tattoo (without pain) that wouldn't wash off in the shower, but which you could remove somewhat easily at home by exposing it to certain light wavelengths.  Probably impossible, but the point here is that I realize younger people want to have some fun, but removing that fun more easily later is key.  And now to get your Apple Watch working, you have to spend a hefty amount of money, trust someone other than yourself to do the job, and have another painful experience too.  Doesn't make much logical sense.  Spock would definitely not approve.
    muthuk_vanalingammike1NotSoMuch
  • Reply 4 of 14
    BGnATCBGnATC Posts: 30member
    Spock would tell you to mind your business and respect cultural differences. 

jdw said:

Tattoos are the modern equivalent of 1970s bell bottom pants.  It's a fad. After a couple generations, people will probably wisen up and stop getting inked like their insane parents.  Problem is, when the fad is over, you can't just wist those near-permanent tattoos away like you can throw horrible looking pants into the garbage bin.  

People do the dumbest things when they are young.  In the past, it was mainly sailors or select folk in the US military who tended to go for ink on skin.  Now, it seems like everybody (in the USA, thankfully not here in Japan) are doing the deed, only to later discover the caveats.  

Aside from malfunctioning Apple watches though, one would be wise to bear in mind how those tattoos will look in the future.  I vividly recall a preacher in church who showed me the tattoos he got in his younger days. They were all over his forearms.  I saw them when he was in his 70's, and they looked awful.  Ink under skin doesn't age gracefully, let me tell you.

Besides all this, I think human beings are too fickle to get something permanently done.  Will you really enjoy the same thing 20 years hence that you enjoy today?  I know I don't.  Things change.  People change.  Tattoos change too, but only in a bad way.

What would be really neat is if you could get a tattoo (without pain) that wouldn't wash off in the shower, but which you could remove somewhat easily at home by exposing it to certain light wavelengths.  Probably impossible, but the point here is that I realize younger people want to have some fun, but removing that fun more easily later is key.  And now to get your Apple Watch working, you have to spend a hefty amount of money, trust someone other than yourself to do the job, and have another painful experience too.  Doesn't make much logical sense.  Spock would definitely not approve.

• Reply 5 of 14
    BGnATC said:

Actually... you are kinda wrong on this. If Jdw had commented on some traditional and cultural tattoos... like what the Maori do etc. you'd be correct. The current tattoo trend that swept the Western world in the last ~decade... however... is nothing BUT a fad. And it has nothing got to do with "cultural differences". It's a widespread trend... no more, no less. And his words of criticism are valid.
    But it would seem you feel attacked... because you are full of tats yourself?

muthuk_vanalingammike1timpetusNotSoMuch
  • Reply 6 of 14
    BGnATC said:

Actually... you are kinda wrong on this. If Jdw had commented on some traditional and cultural tattoos... like what the Maori do etc. you'd be correct. The current tattoo trend that swept the Western world in the last ~decade... however... is nothing BUT a fad. And it has nothing got to do with "cultural differences". It's a widespread trend... no more, no less. And his words of criticism are valid.

Nah, I’m right. 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    BGnATC said:
    BGnATC said:

Nah, I’m right. 
    No. You're just full of tats yourself. Which is your complete personal choice and decision. Over which, however, you feel attacked. So you try to move it into a "don't insult other cultures" category... which his comment clearly wasn't.
    timpetusmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 14
    BGnATC said:

jdw said:

Friend, Spock would tell you what is logical and illogical, even if that doesn't "respect cultural differences."

You also mistakenly assumed I am Japanese.  I was born and raised in the USA and am a US citizen who knows US culture well, although I don't agree with some aspects of it.  I've come to learn a lot about Japan in my nearly 3 decades living here.  

But there's nothing that magical or sacred about "culture" in my mind.  I don't worship culture. That's because culture is nothing more than a bunch of people who live near each other coming together and saying, "let's do things a certain way."  That's somewhat of an oversimplification, perhaps, but that's what it boils down to.  

Having "respect' for other cultures therefore means just trying your best to get along and not doing things intentionally that you know would tick off people who have a different standard than you do.  But culture is constantly changing, just like the fads I mentioned.  It's a moving target.  If your world view doesn't tick off people today, it surely will tomorrow.  If time travel were possible, and a US born-and-raised citizen traveled 100 years into the future to be present with us today, they'd be shocked.  That's because the US culture they were raised in is largely gone today.  A lot has changed, and not all for the good.  

Getting ink under one's skin which causes high-tech to malfunction isn't progress.  Like I said, it's basically a more permanent form of bell bottom pants.  It's yet another fad many people will come to regret, especially when they're 80 and look at that blob mess under their skin and ask themselves, "what was I thinking?"  There's no need for me to look at ink-under-skin culture and respect that, because at some point in the future, the culture will change toward it and folks at that time will likely look back and say, yep, that was a bad idea.  One can argue those future people "have no respect for culture" but those future people couldn't care less.

What is logical is for us to wisely consider the way we live our life today and question the things we do, both good and bad.  Let us logically consider what makes the most sense in the long run.  Let us set a better example before our children.  Let us embrace individual liberty, but with sane limits.  I could give my child the freedom to play in a busy street for the sake of letting them do as they please, but if they die as a result, what good was the freedom I granted to them?  These are the common sense limits we must impose to make people truly free.  We you love someone, you tell them things, from time to time, they don't necessarily want to hear.  An external observer may view that is limiting their freedom.  Others would say it doesn't show enough "respect."  Yet others would scream, "mind your own business!"  But at the end of the day, logical and reasoned thought must be preached to prevail.  And some people will be offended when any topic is spoken in public.  But so be it.  You can't please all the people all the time.  But sometimes your words will reach a few open-minded people who make the effort worthwhile.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Ad hominem and straw man are the lamest of logical fallacies. You know nothing about me. theralsadurns said:
    No. You're just full of tats yourself. Which is your complete personal choice and decision. Over which, however, you feel attacked. So you try to move it into a "don't insult other cultures" category... which his comment clearly wasn't.
    @jdw You’re literally just trying to pass off your personal prejudices as objective truths. You took eleven paragraphs to say what can ultimately be summarized as “I don’t like tattoos because I think they are ugly and nobody else should either”, and you even acknowledge a total lack of respect for the fact that other people think differently from you and that their perspectives have objective merit. That doesn’t make a person smart; it makes one insufferable. 
    edited June 28 Spitbath
  • Reply 10 of 14
    jdw said:

Tattoos are a fad? What kind of delusional fantasy land do you live in?
    BGnATCSpitbath
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Just give the tattoos some 10-15 years time and the see how nice they look. -Got one on my shoulder and gosh it's faded, smeared and ugly. I can only imagine if I had my arms, legs etc tattooed for a fortune, what that would cost to maintain. But I guess those who have got the full decor, also have taken the buff up into consideration. 
    jdw
  • Reply 12 of 14
    BGnATC said:
    You know nothing about me.

@jdw You’re literally just trying to pass off your personal prejudices as objective truths…“I don’t like tattoos because I think they are ugly and nobody else should either”… you even acknowledge a total lack of respect for the fact that other people think differently from you
    Although you’re speaking to "theralsadurns" when you said people know “nothing” about you, that statement is not entirely true because we do get to know people, in part, through the statements they make. Courts in the United States prove this is true by accepting textual statements made on social media for the purpose of establishing the way a person thinks, their intentions, and basically to establish what kind of person they are. And even though we don’t know “everything“ about you based upon what you write in this forum, we do get to know people based upon what they write and say. So to make a statement that we know “nothing“ about someone else based upon what they read in a forum would be a fully accurate statement.

You tried to summarize what I wrote but left out important facts, and those facts were made clear in my previous statements which apparently you didn’t like because you wrote about the “length” of my previous statement. For example, your summary of what I wrote doesn’t mention the fact that those tattoos have an adverse effect on the Apple Watch, which was one important point that I mentioned and emphasized. Indeed, that is the central theme of the article, which should be the central theme of our remarks here in the forum commenting underneath the article. And I have done that.

You also keep pounding on the word “respect” in terms of your repeatedly using that word. That indicates to me that you have expectations regarding tattoos. Meaning, if someone doesn’t offer you a certain amount of “respect“ for the tattoos you and/or others have, you seem to get your feathers ruffled a bit. But getting a tattoo is a choice, and so if you were to make that choice and then directly or indirectly demand that others give you respect for having made that choice, your demands become rather unreasonable. It would be no different than for me to go out and get a car, and then expect everyone else to respect me and/or my car even though it was my choice to get the car. In that case my expectations would be unreasonable because it was my choice to get a good or bad car.

Let it be known that I have two brothers who live in California and who both have tattoos, and while I don’t have respect for their decision to get those tattoos, that doesn’t mean I do not like them. It doesn’t mean I don’t have respect for them overall.

It is also problematic to proclaim that other people should “respect” our thinking in every way, regardless of whether we like those thoughts or not. The fact that we do not all think alike and do not all respect every thought that comes out of everyone’s head is actually a good thing. 

“Respect” is keyword that I have found to be the case in Japanese culture over the past three decades. In many ways, the people here in Japan, have more respect for other people, who they often don’t even know, than the average person shows respect in the United States.  Bowing to others, for example, is a part of physically showing respect in Japan. But at the same time, even now in 2024, Japanese culture doesn’t have respect for tattoo culture in large part because traditionally tattoos have been worn by the Japanese yakuza or mafia. And so, if someone were to criticize those who don’t have respect for tattoos, that person would seem to have a little respect for Japanese culture which doesn’t respect tattoos, and that matters because you earlier argued that I ought to have respect for culture. Therefore, I see a conflict in your thinking about “respect.”

You and I think differently, but that doesn’t mean I need to “respect” your way of thinking anymore than you need to respect my thoughts. We should be “cordial“ with each other, but so far we seem to be doing that despite our disagreement. And that’s good enough. 

In parting, I will extend respect to you by saying this. I harbor no ill will toward you whatsoever. Let us therefore agree to disagree about this one topic and move on. I think it’s clear we are both here in this particular form because we like Apple products, and that is an important tie that binds us in a positive way. Best wishes.
    edited June 28
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jdw said:
    BGnATC said:

@jdw You’re literally just trying to pass off your personal prejudices as objective truths…“I don’t like tattoos because I think they are ugly and nobody else should either”… you even acknowledge a total lack of respect for the fact that other people think differently from you
    Although you’re speaking to "theralsadurns" when you said people know “nothing” about you, that statement is not entirely true because we do get to know people, in part, through the statements they make. Courts in the United States prove this is true by accepting textual statements made on social media for the purpose of establishing the way a person thinks, their intentions, and basically to establish what kind of person they are. And even though we don’t know “everything“ about you based upon what you write in this forum, we do get to know people based upon what they write and say. So to make a statement that we know “nothing“ about someone else based upon what they read in a forum would be a fully accurate statement.

You tried to summarize what I wrote but left out important facts, and those facts were made clear in my previous statements which apparently you didn’t like because you wrote about the “length” of my previous statement. For example, your summary of what I wrote doesn’t mention the fact that those tattoos have an adverse effect on the Apple Watch, which was one important point that I mentioned and emphasized. Indeed, that is the central theme of the article, which should be the central theme of our remarks here in the forum commenting underneath the article. And I have done that.

You also keep pounding on the word “respect” in terms of your repeatedly using that word. That indicates to me that you have expectations regarding tattoos. Meaning, if someone doesn’t offer you a certain amount of “respect“ for the tattoos you and/or others have, you seem to get your feathers ruffled a bit. But getting a tattoo is a choice, and so if you were to make that choice and then directly or indirectly demand that others give you respect for having made that choice, your demands become rather unreasonable. It would be no different than for me to go out and get a car, and then expect everyone else to respect me and/or my car even though it was my choice to get the car. In that case my expectations would be unreasonable because it was my choice to get a good or bad car.

Let it be known that I have two brothers who live in California and who both have tattoos, and while I don’t have respect for their decision to get those tattoos, that doesn’t mean I do not like them. It doesn’t mean I don’t have respect for them overall.

It is also problematic to proclaim that other people should “respect” our thinking in every way, regardless of whether we like those thoughts or not. The fact that we do not all think alike and do not all respect every thought that comes out of everyone’s head is actually a good thing. 

“Respect” is keyword that I have found to be the case in Japanese culture over the past three decades. In many ways, the people here in Japan, have more respect for other people, who they often don’t even know, than the average person shows respect in the United States.  Bowing to others, for example, is a part of physically showing respect in Japan. But at the same time, even now in 2024, Japanese culture doesn’t have respect for tattoo culture in large part because traditionally tattoos have been worn by the Japanese yakuza or mafia. And so, if someone were to criticize those who don’t have respect for tattoos, that person would seem to have a little respect for Japanese culture which doesn’t respect tattoos, and that matters because you earlier argued that I ought to have respect for culture. Therefore, I see a conflict in your thinking about “respect.”

You and I think differently, but that doesn’t mean I need to “respect” your way of thinking anymore than you need to respect my thoughts. We should be “cordial“ with each other, but so far we seem to be doing that despite our disagreement. And that’s good enough. 

In parting, I will extend respect to you by saying this. I harbor no ill will toward you whatsoever. Let us therefore agree to disagree about this one topic and move on. I think it’s clear we are both here in this particular form because we like Apple products, and that is an important tie that binds us in a positive way. Best wishes.
    You misunderstand me, and perhaps that’s my fault. Let me clarify: I am not demanding respect for tattoos. I’m suggesting that a person with tattoos is entirely uninterested in your opinion (or mine, or anyone else’s) and I’m rather aghast at the idea that what appears to be a reasonably intelligent person would think that they know all the ins and outs of the decision-making process while admitting to not having gone through it their self. There’s a chasm there; a whole dynamic of which you have no knowledge or interest, and that’s fine!, but to then rattle on about the subject as if you’re an expert is absurd and offensive, never mind the fact that tattooing has been around for millennia while apple watch has existed for a handful of years. I wouldn’t presume to lecture you about whatever it is you do with your life unless I happen to be skilled or knowledgeable in those specific areas, and any reasonable person would be rightly annoyed by that. My hope with this exchange has been to get you to consider the possibility that other people live experiences entirely alien to your own, and that that’s a good thing! IDIC, after all. As for how this unfolds with Apple Watch, we all here know that technology is constantly overcoming hurdles (Apple in particular) and I’d expect this to be a non-issue after a fairly short time. I adore Japan and Japanese culture and I hope to visit soon. I’m well familiar with their taboo surrounding tattoos, not that it’ll have much impact for me. Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima are high on my list of places I’d love to see. Take care. I’ve lurked forever but I don’t post a lot here and my comment isn’t coming out formatted the way I’d like. Please forgive that.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    BGnATC said:
    jdw said:
    BGnATC said:

You misunderstand me, and perhaps that’s my fault. Let me clarify: I am not demanding respect for tattoos. I’m suggesting that a person with tattoos is entirely uninterested in your opinion (or mine, or anyone else’s) and I’m rather aghast at the idea that what appears to be a reasonably intelligent person would think that they know all the ins and outs of the decision-making process while admitting to not having gone through it their self. There’s a chasm there; a whole dynamic of which you have no knowledge or interest, and that’s fine!, but to then rattle on about the subject as if you’re an expert is absurd and offensive, never mind the fact that tattooing has been around for millennia while apple watch has existed for a handful of years. I wouldn’t presume to lecture you about whatever it is you do with your life unless I happen to be skilled or knowledgeable in those specific areas, and any reasonable person would be rightly annoyed by that. My hope with this exchange has been to get you to consider the possibility that other people live experiences entirely alien to your own, and that that’s a good thing! IDIC, after all. As for how this unfolds with Apple Watch, we all here know that technology is constantly overcoming hurdles (Apple in particular) and I’d expect this to be a non-issue after a fairly short time. I adore Japan and Japanese culture and I hope to visit soon. I’m well familiar with their taboo surrounding tattoos, not that it’ll have much impact for me. Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima are high on my list of places I’d love to see. Take care. I’ve lurked forever but I don’t post a lot here and my comment isn’t coming out formatted the way I’d like. Please forgive that.
    It could just be my misunderstanding here and if so I am truly sorry, but it seems you are arguing that my mere expression of thoughts in this forum, under this one particular article, is somehow "rattling on."  That implies you treat a multi-paragraph post with disdain.  You also said that my words are trying to make me out to be an "expert" in this matter, and yet, I've said no such thing.  I've not even eluded to such a thing.  If I did make myself out to be an expert, then I would agree with you, it really would be absurd.  However, you implied you were offended as per your statement that my earlier remarks were offensive.  And yet, I am not at all trying to attack you.  If I was, I would not have ended my last message as I did -- on an extremely positive note, and appealing to you to let the debate lie where it was.  

You then said, "I wouldn't presume to lecture you..." I think that statement indicates you have the belief that if someone speaks more than a couple sentences on a given topic (like I have done), that person is lecturing the listener.  But when I write, I share my thoughts.  I do not intentionally speak as a lecturer.  I am an electrical engineer by trade, not a college professor.  So I cannot help but speculate that you perhaps might mistakenly believe people like me, who are GenX and who know that multi-paragraph writing is not inherently offensive, are "self-professed experts."  As I said, that is not the case.  If I thought I was an expert on this topic, I would plainly say so.  But instead, I am plainly saying that I am no different than you or anyone else here.  You and I are but two people typing on keyboards in a forum under an article that's here today and gone tomorrow.  Meaning, what we are saying right now really doesn't matter so much.  

So why am I replying back to you if our words really don't matter so much?  First, I don't wish to offend you further, as funny as that may sound.  I just wish to clarify things I feel you may not fully understand, as they pertain to my previous messages in this thread.  If my words right now are interpreted by you as a "lecture," so be it, but that is not my intent.  A the end of the day, I am just talking to a fellow Apple products lover, and we happen to have different ways of thinking on this particular topic.  That's it.  No doubt we share more in common than we share in disagreement.

Like I said before, I harbor no ill will toward you.  Mature and educated people can agree to disagree.  I made that attempt in the closing of my previous message, and so I shall do it again here.

Putting all that aside, you mentioned that you've lurked here forever but don't post a lot.  I think that bodes well for our discussion.  Had I said nothing, it could be you might have said nothing.  And sometimes it's good to say something, even when disagreement later takes place. So I do hope that positive result of your participation in this forum remains with us.  I have the gut feeling you have a lot to contribute in this forum, and I would encourage you to continue.  Personally, I am not somebody who lives and breaths in this forum.  I read the articles, and occasionally one provokes me to write something, as was the case here.  But I don't reply to every article.

As to visiting Japan, there's never been a better time.  I'd suggest this summer, if at all possible.  The exchange rate is an incredible ¥160 to the US Dollar right now.  The Yen is weak.  Your Dollars have enormous buying power.  It's not clear on how long that will last.  So please do pull the trigger on an air ticket purchase and enjoy Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima.  I've been to them all, and I would say Kyoto is the best of the 3, but Hiroshima is truly a highlight for historical reasons.  Tokyo is really just a large city with way too many people in it.  Even so, Tokyo should be on the list of places to visit, as should Mt. Fuji.  I've actually climbed Mt. Fuji once.  My wife has climbed it twice.  No ropes or spiked shoes required.  It just takes stamina.  You start the climb from the upper part of the mountain and it takes 6 hours to walk to the top.  Even in the hottest part of August (the only time they let you climb it), it's 32°F / 0°C at the peak.  My wife and I climbed it in the evening so we can take photos of the sunrise the following morning, but my goodness it was cold!  Lots to see and do here in Japan, so I once again would like to encourage you to make the trip.  It will be well worth it.