Apple Watch Series 9 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch 7-- Specs, price, and features, compared

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 3

Samsung's Galaxy Watch 7 launches on July 10, and like every year, leaks have already blown the cover off of it. Here's how the leaked specifications compare against the Apple Watch Series 9.

Two smartwatches with different designs and displays; one has a rectangular face, the other a round face, both shown on a light blue grid background.
Apple Watch Series 9 [left], Samsung Galaxy Watch 7 render [right, via Evan Blass]

Samsung will be holding its summer Unpacked event on July 10. The company is expected to launch multiple products at the event.

The Galaxy Watch 7 has already been leaked, in great detail, so, it's now possible to compare the Galaxy Watch 7 against its main rival, the Apple Watch Series 9.

We're not too concerned about the veracity of the information. Samsung is leaky as a sieve in the weeks before the event, and we're confident based on the leak sourcing and the history of Samsung leaks, that everything is correct and accurate.

Apple Watch Series 9 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch 7 - Specifications

SpecificationsApple Watch Series 9Samsung Galaxy Watch 7
Price (starting)$399.00
On sale at Amazon
319 euro ($343)
Reserve at Samsung
Sizes41mm, 45mm40mm, 44mm
DisplayRetina LTPO OLED displaySuper AMOLED
Case MaterialsAluminum
Stainless steel
Aluminum
ProcessorS9 SiPExynos W1000
Health SensorsTemperature
Blood oxygen
Electrical heart sensor
Third-generation optical heart sensor
Temperature
Heart Rate (Electrical and Optical)
BioActive
Resistance50 meters
IP6X dust resistance
5 ATM
IP68
MID STD 810H
BatteryUp to 18 hours (36 in Low Power Mode)425mAh
RechargingWirelessWireless
ConnectivityLTE
UMTS
Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)
Bluetooth 5.3
GPS/GNSS
NFC
Wi-Fi 2.4GHz and 5GHz
Bluetooth 5.3
GPS/GNSS
NFC
Other SensorsCompass
Emergency SOS
Fall Detection
Crash Detection
Always-on altimeter
Accelerometer
Gyroscope
Geomagnetic sensor
Barometer
Accelerometer
Gyroscope

Apple Watch Series 9 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch 7 - Design and appearance

The Apple Watch has maintained a fairly consistent appearance throughout its existence. Featuring an aluminum enclosure in its cheapest models and with optional stainless steel, it is a rounded square device with a display and top glass to match.

Samsung is going for a circular device with its Galaxy Watch 7, complete with an aluminum enclosure. The display rests a little above the enclosure and is flat, as opposed to Apple's rounded edges.

The main control of the Apple Watch is a touchscreen, but it's supported by the Digital Crown and a side button.

Close-up view of a smartwatch's silver bezel with a red ring, a brown wristband is partially visible in the background.
The Apple Watch Series 9 Digital Crown and side button

As well as touch, Samsung's smartwatch previously used a spinning bezel as its Digital Crown analog. However, while it is likely to be a similar interface this time around, the leaked specifications do not mention it.

Both varieties ship in two sizes, with the Apple Watch going for 41mm and 44mm, while Samsung's gone for 40mm and 44mm.

In terms of physical size, the Apple Watch measures 41mm by 35mm by 10.7mm for the 41mm model, and 45mm by 38mm by 10.7mm for the 45mm.

The 40mm Galaxy Watch 7 is said to be 40.4mm by 40.4mm and 9.7mm deep. The 44mm version is apparently 44.4mm by 44.4mm and 9.7mm deep.

There is a little less thickness to the Galaxy Watch 7, but it's not a significant difference from the Apple Watch.

Weight-wise, the Galaxy Watch 7 is 28.9 grams or 33.8 grams, depending on the size. The Apple Watch is a little heavier at 31.9 grams and 38.7 grams in their lightest configurations.

In terms of durability, Apple says the Apple Watch can withstand a depth of 50 meters, with it also having IP6X dust resistance.

Samsung's device is rated to 5 ATM of pressure, with an IP68 resistance rating.

Apple Watch Series 9 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch 7 - Display

The Apple Watch Series 9 sports an always-on Retina LTPO OLED edge-to-edge display. It's protected by Ion-X front glass in the aluminum models, and Sapphire for the stainless steel versions.

Apple claims it can output up to 2,000 nits of brightness, and as little as 1 nit.

The resolutions of the Apple Watch Series 9 are 430 by 352 pixels and 484 by 396 pixels for the 1.69-inch and 1.9-inch displays respectively. That works out to be a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch.

The Galaxy Watch 7 has a 480 by 480 resolution on the larger 1.5-inch display, and 432 by 432 on the 1.3-inch version. This is fairly comparable in terms of pixel density to Apple, with the larger model at 327ppi and the smaller at 330ppi.

Apple Watch Series 9 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch 7 - Processing

Running the Apple Watch Series 9 is an Apple-designed S9 SiP, complete with a 64-bit dual-core processor. It also has a 4-core Neural Engine and 64GB of storage capacity.

The Galaxy Watch 7 is said to use the Exynos W1000, a Samsung-produced chip. It is apparently a 5-core chip, made using a 3-nanometer process.

Storage on the Galaxy Watch 7 doesn't seem to match that of the Apple Watch, resting at 32GB.

Apple uses watchOS 10 as its operating system, custom-made for the Apple Watch itself. Samsung uses the company's One UI Watch 6.0, built on Wear OS.

Apple Watch Series 9 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch 7 - Health sensing

Both watches are capable of detecting the user's heart rate in two ways. Optical sensors are used for one method, with Apple on its third-generation sensor, alongside an electrical heart sensor.

Each also has a temperature sensor built in as well.

Close-up of the back of a smartwatch with a brown leather strap, showing sensors and engraved text.
The rear sensor package of the Apple Watch Series 9.

Apple also includes blood oxygen sensing as a sensor-based feature.

Meanwhile the Galaxy Watch 7 is listed as using a BioActive Sensor. This was previously used to handle the optical and electrical heart sensors, as well as Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis for readings of heart rate, blood oxygen, and stress.

Each has its fair share of fitness-tracking functionality, as well as fall detection systems.

Apple Watch Series 9 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch 7 - Battery

Apple has said that the Apple Watch Series 9 can last for up to 18 hours of normal use, though this extends to 36 hours in Low Power Mode.

The leaked specifications for the Galaxy Watch 7 don't offer usage time, but instead a capacity of 425mAh.

Apple does use a 282mAh or 308mAh battery, depending on the size. Despite being smaller, it's not directly comparable to the Galaxy Watch 7 in terms of use, since we don't know how power-hungry Samsung's version will be.

Apple Watch Series 9 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch 7 - Other features

Apple includes quite a few other sensors in the Apple Watch, including a compass, altimeter, accelerometer, and gyroscope. The leaks say the Galaxy Watch 7 has an accelerometer, gyroscope, and a geomagnetic sensor, as well as a barometer.

Both also connect over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.3, as well as NFC for payments. GPS and GNSS support is also offered.

While we know that the Apple Watch has cellular connectivity options, some leaks say the Galaxy Watch 7 will have a 4G option too.

Apple Watch Series 9 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch 7 - Pricing

The Apple Watch Series 9 starts from $399 for the aluminum 41mm model without cellular. The 45mm model is $429, with cellular connectivity an extra $100 on top per model.

The stainless steel versions start at $699 for the 41mm size, $749 for the 45mm. They automatically include cellular connectivity.

Smartwatch with a colorful display, showing the time and date. Attached is a blue woven band, resting on a black surface.
The Apple Watch Series 9 is available in aluminum and stainless steel casings.

The leaked pricing for the Galaxy Watch 7 puts the 40mm model at 319 euros ($343), with the 4G version at 369 euros ($396).

The 44mm versions are expected at 349 euros ($375) and 399 euros ($429), depending on cellular configuration. Samsung is running a deal offering $50 in credit when you reserve a Galaxy device.

Apple Watch Series 9 vs Samsung Galaxy Watch 7 - Which to buy

It's fair to say that, on paper, the Apple Watch Series 9 and the Samsung Galaxy Watch 7 are very comparable wearables. There's a lot of crossover in terms of specifications and features between the two, making them fierce rivals.

However, a fierce rivalry isn't what you would expect for smartwatches. Especially when they are intended for two different ecosystems.

What you instead get in the Galaxy Watch 7 is a very good example of a smartwatch, that is intended just for Android users.

Samsung does impress with its slightly thinner, lighter, and traditionally round appearance compared to the Apple Watch. But at the same time, the Apple Watch already offers consumers a lot of functions.

We still have to hear from Samsung about any feature changes at its launch on July 10. But even now, it seems like the Galaxy Watch 7 will be a great wearable option for Android users.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Phobos7Phobos7 Posts: 64member
    Apple is so far superior than Samsung Galaxy.👍✌️😆💙🌊🌊🌊🇺🇦😎
    radarthekatwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,692member
    1) I thought blood oxygen sensing had been removed as a feature from the despite due to an ongoing patent issue. Has this been resolved?

2) Seems odd that Samsung doesn't include a compass. And why are they sticking with a round display for a device that isn't just a few hands on a central pivot? Probably just to be different from Apple.
    edited July 2 williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 125member
    Does the Samsung watch come with any coating on the screen like gorilla glass ?
    The Apple Watch non sapphire models have protection but it’s total garbage. Every aluminium watch I’ve had from Apple ends up with way too many scratches on the screen & quickly. Yet non of my mechanical watches have scratches. 

Not sure I’d buy another due to this. Maybe save a bit more and get the sapphire stainless steel or Ultra versions.  

80s_Apple_Guywilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 11
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,874moderator

Had the technology for a digital watch existed right from the start, it would have been absurd to create a round watch body/face, as there simply would have been no imperative to create a form so inefficient to the function of the timepiece.  Apple has simply set aside that imperative and determined that the best form is a watch body with straight sides, that simply extend the straight lines of the band around the wrist.  It's a more functionally elegant solution to the problem once you free yourself of the need to accommodate circular movements and the circular watch face those impose.  Today, traditional round watch faces are a cultural tradition, but culture evolves and so do forms and the fashions that reflect them.  Apple will not build round smartwatches, as they are not the appropriate form for the smartwatch paradigm.  It's just that simple.  The rest are doing so in order to differentiate from Apple and to take advantage of the existing cultural dogma.  The future will take care to correct their error.

napoleon_phoneapartwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,386member

Had the technology for a digital watch existed right from the start, it would have been absurd to create a round watch body/face, as there simply would have been no imperative to create a form so inefficient to the function of the timepiece. 

I disagree. Apple has long sacrificed substance over style on many occasions. The Watch was an exception to their common though not absolute practice.

The rectangular shape is more efficient than a round shape at displaying maximum information. But like any aspect of our lives not everybody needs every possible feature of any given device. Most everyone I know has an Apple Watch. If not it's some feature watch not a smart watch. 

Style is an imperative. A round watch comes with some sacrifices that may or may not be important to the wearer. Style and function play different roles to different people based on their preferences. While Apple sticks to the rectangular case a great many of their watch faces are round, and still offer a lot of utility.

Sports cars vs saloons vs trucks, long pants vs shorts, hard top vs convertible, etc. One size doesn't fit all even if Apple says so. The Samsung watches offer a lot of utility in a round shape. A few I've seen are good looking to boot. They just don't offer watchOS so they're a non-starter for me.

A round Watch doesn't have to replace rectangles in a line up. I don't understand why people try to make it an either or situation. If Apple were to design a round Watch the vast majority of Watch fans would very like be surprised at how little would be lost in translation.

Apple should make their lineup thinner than it is now. If they made a round Watch it would sell. They probably won't do it. I have a vague memory of Jobs making negative comments regarding phablets. It's possible he never did. Yet iPhones keep getting bigger and bigger. So change is possible.

williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,692member
    macgui said:

Had the technology for a digital watch existed right from the start, it would have been absurd to create a round watch body/face, as there simply would have been no imperative to create a form so inefficient to the function of the timepiece. 

I disagree. Apple has long sacrificed substance over style on many occasions. The Watch was an exception to their common though not absolute practice.

The rectangular shape is more efficient than a round shape at displaying maximum information. But like any aspect of our lives not everybody needs every possible feature of any given device. Most everyone I know has an Apple Watch. If not it's some feature watch not a smart watch. 

Style is an imperative. A round watch comes with some sacrifices that may or may not be important to the wearer. Style and function play different roles to different people based on their preferences. While Apple sticks to the rectangular case a great many of their watch faces are round, and still offer a lot of utility.

Sports cars vs saloons vs trucks, long pants vs shorts, hard top vs convertible, etc. One size doesn't fit all even if Apple says so. The Samsung watches offer a lot of utility in a round shape. A few I've seen are good looking to boot. They just don't offer watchOS so they're a non-starter for me.

A round Watch doesn't have to replace rectangles in a line up. I don't understand why people try to make it an either or situation. If Apple were to design a round Watch the vast majority of Watch fans would very like be surprised at how little would be lost in translation.

Apple should make their lineup thinner than it is now. If they made a round Watch it would sell. They probably won't do it. I have a vague memory of Jobs making negative comments regarding phablets. It's possible he never did. Yet iPhones keep getting bigger and bigger. So change is possible.
    1) Can you give some examples of these plethora of Apple products that sacrificed utility in favor of style? I ask because I can only think of a small handful, like the hockey puck mouse. Remember, you claimed that "substance" from Apple when it came to Apple, which is something I wholeheartedly disagree with because I'm not buying their products if my workflow would be better with a different vendor.

2) You claim that Apple says that one size fits all, but this is a topic on their Watch which has had multiplet sizes from the start, and has even adjusted the sizes of the displays and casing whilst keeping the watchbands in the same two categories for a decades so clearly they don't feel that one size fits all. I don't think you understand the term size when you're talking about very different utility and aesthetics.

3) Samsung does offer a lot of utility in a round display, but they're also losing a lot of utility which is why Apple has won and will keep winning in this space. From internal capacity for components to the amount of pixels with a given pixel density you can display on its shortest axis the Watch will come out ahead every time. 

4) When the rumors were swirling about a smartwatch from Apple I was worried that they might have tunnel vision because of the long history of wrist worn clocks. I'm very glad they didn't make that mistake. I felt it was obvious not to be a round face, but sometimes people see tradition as mandatory or as good even when it's very clearly not as good, like the area of a square v a circle for a given diameter,.

Program to calculate area of an Circle inscribed in a Square - GeeksforGeeks

5) I don't think it's not too thick, especially for what it does. I do suspect it could get thinner, but only because they're making it bigger in other regards. Previously I mention square v circle in terms of area, but it's a rectangle... and  there's a lot more space on the arm they can utilize to expand the device's battery capacity, components, and overall  general utility. So far, they've done a good job of increasing this albeit at a slower rate than I'd prefer.

6) If Wear OS wants to best Apple they'd make a widescreen rectangular watch face.

williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 11
    longfanglongfang Posts: 491member
    macgui said:

And here I’m staring at a Ulysse-Nardin Michaelangelo and noting it’s not quite a circle.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    longfanglongfang Posts: 491member
    Xed said:
    1) I thought blood oxygen sensing had been removed as a feature from the despite due to an ongoing patent issue. Has this been resolved?

2) Seems odd that Samsung doesn't include a compass. And why are they sticking with a round display for a device that isn't just a few hands on a central pivot? Probably just to be different from Apple.
    The blood oxygen sensing is still a feature on Apple watches sold outside of the US.
    williamlondontht
  • Reply 9 of 11
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,874moderator
    macgui said:

I originally posted my take on this topic here back in 2015.  Nine years later and some are still waiting for Apple to do what I said they won’t do.  Let’s see how things play out in the coming years.  

While Apple sticks to the rectangular case a great many of their watch faces are round, and still offer a lot of utility.”

I use some round watch movement faces on my Apple Watch on occasion, but only because there’s four corners I can add complications into.  Those aren’t available on a purely round watch.  I’d say that’s significantly more utility than can be offered on a round watch like Samsung’s.  It’s double the typical four complications that can be added inside a round watch face.  As evidenced here with the watch face I’m currently using.

edited July 3
  • Reply 10 of 11
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,413member
    Circular watch faces look stupid. I’m surprised Samsung isn’t making a circular watch face that folds over in half, just so they can say they did it. 

The Apple Watch is both more elegant and more functional.