'Resident Evil 7' creeps its way onto iPhone, iPad, and Mac

Posted:
in iOS

Capcom has brought "Resident Evil 7" to the App Store, unleashing more zombie action to the iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Resident Evil VII: Biohazard cover art displayed on multiple devices, featuring a horror-themed face entangled in branches.
Resident Evil 7 is lurching onto iPhone, iPad, and Mac

There are a number of games from the Resident Evil horror franchise already in the iOS App Store and on Mac platforms. On Tuesday, Capcom released another to scare Apple hardware users.

Resident Evil 7 is Capcom's 2017 entry in the survival horror series. Controlling Ethan Winters, players must search for his missing wife inside a derelict plantation in Louisiana.

The game was notable for being the first in the franchise to be played from a first-person viewpoint. Originally released in 2017, it was praised for its pacing and narrative.

Resident Evil 7 is available for the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max, using the A17 Pro and later, as well as an iPad equipped with an M1 or later chip. The Mac release requires macOS 13.0 or later, and an M1 or later Apple Silicon chip.

The game is 33.4 gigabytes in size and is available to download and try out for free. The base game is an in-app purchase of $19.99, with the DLC pack at $20.

It follows Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Village to Apple's platforms. Resident Evil 2 is also in the process of being ported over.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,390moderator

Capcom has brought "Resident Evil 7" to the App Store, unleashing more zombie action to the iPhone, iPad, and Mac. 

Resident Evil 7 is lurching onto iPhone, iPad, and Mac

It follows Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Village to Apple's platforms. Resident Evil 2 is also in the process of being ported over. 

It's good to see Resident Evil 2 ported over, it's the best in the series and currently the best selling:

https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Monster Hunter games sell a lot too, maybe a port of Monster Hunter World would sell well on mobile. These games help show off the graphics performance of Apple Silicon vs Nvidia and AMD:

Performance is competitive and memory usage in that video goes to 12GB. This is one of the strengths of Apple Silicon's unified memory to be able to load more high quality textures. At the M1 launch, the Baldur's Gate 3 devs mentioned the benefit for texture loading in games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AwdkGKmZ0I&t=1240s

This helps more than games. There are people making high quality animated content in game engines but if the GPUs don't have enough memory then they have to downsample the textures and the apps show texture errors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9za5-VCag&t=336s

The Pro and Max chips are best for these next-gen games but the M-series iPads are powerful enough to run them and people who have these are their only device will get access to these games now. M3 Pro chips are next-gen performance and 2nm M5/M6 will bring this performance to the whole lineup.

Since Death Stranding was ported over, Horizon Zero Dawn on the same engine would be good to have ported:

It runs ok on Crossover but a native build would be best and can be ported to iOS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH7e8IfO2jA
  • Reply 2 of 3
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,626member
    Two things give me pause. (1) A privacy policy that says it takes my location, and other personal details, which seems totally unnecessary. (2) The lack of a price. They expect me to download a 31 GB program (62 GB free space required to install) without telling me what the price to play will be once I start playing it. The description says "A limited part of the base game can be played for free, but in order to play the full game an in-app purchase is required." but there is no indication of what that price will be. The lack of clarity is disturbing. I guess hiding the price gets them more sales, but I don't want to reward that behaviour. I went to ChatGPT and asked it how much it costs for MacOS. (I had trouble getting the price by googling it.) ChatGPT reported it costs $20 to play and another $20 is optional for some DLC. According to ChatGPT the payment mechanism uses the Apple App Store, so that's a relief. I probably wouldn't pay for software through an external store. I wish developers would treat us consumers with openness and honesty.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Two things give me pause. (1) A privacy policy that says it takes my location, and other personal details, which seems totally unnecessary. (2) The lack of a price. They expect me to download a 31 GB program (62 GB free space required to install) without telling me what the price to play will be once I start playing it. The description says "A limited part of the base game can be played for free, but in order to play the full game an in-app purchase is required." but there is no indication of what that price will be. The lack of clarity is disturbing. I guess hiding the price gets them more sales, but I don't want to reward that behaviour.
    Huh, for me the price is clearly visible in the App Store, I just clicked on In-app purchase and it showed the options for base game and DLC.