Apple's entire iPad lineup for the next year may have just been leaked

Posted:
in iPad

Beta code dives have leaked the identifiers for unreleased iPad models -- including some thought to have been scrapped in development.

Collection of various colorful tablets with unique abstract backgrounds, overlapping each other on a light grid backdrop.
Apple's current collection of iPad models
Person editing a sci-fi character artwork on a tablet using a photo editing software, with a hand touching the screen.
Apple's iPad Pro with M4

On Tuesday, a leaker shared five identifiers thought to be related to the iPhone 16 family of smartphones. Two days later, more identifiers have appeared from the same source, but this time covering iPads.

The list, sourced from Nicolas Alvarez and shared by @Aaronp613 on X, formerly Twitter, is explained to be "guesses" for what they could be. While there are some educated guesses in the list, there's no guarantee that they are actually correct.

There are two groups within the list itself, with over half covering hardware that is probably on the way at some point. The remainder deals with devices that are thought to have been "scrapped" by Apple, at least for the time-being.

Future hardware

The in-bound list includes iPad15,7 and iPad15,8, which are thought to be the 11th-generation iPad with Wi-Fi and Cellular respectively. The model is speculated to run on an A16 chip.

The identifiers iPad16,1 and iPad16,2 are suspected to be the A17 seventh-gen iPad mini, again with WI-Fi and Cellular options.

The last four are identifiers ranging from iPad17,1 to iPad17,4. The leak theorizes that these are for the M5 editions of iPad Pro.

The first pair is said to be the 11-inch model with Wi-Fi and Cellular connectivity, and the second being the 13-inch model.

Scrapped iPads

The second group of identifiers for "scrapped" models starts out with the iPad13,20 and iPad13,21, for the base Wi-Fi and Cellular models of an A14 iPad.

The identifiers iPad15,3 through to iPad15,6 are again for iPad Pro models, this time with M3. Since the product line is already on the M4 chip, this makes an M3 launch extremely unlikely.

No-one ultimately knows exactly what models correlate to which identifiers outside of Apple, at least until their eventual release. Aside from the scrapped models, the 11th-gen iPad may arrive within months, while the iPad Pro update to M5 won't happen anytime soon.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 929member
    Honestly, is there anything these identifiers tell us that we wouldn't have rightfully assumed would happen by the end of 2025--roughly 18 months from now?!

IPad Pros with M5? Check.

IPad Mini with upgraded processor? Check.

Regular iPad with upgraded processor? Check. 

With Apple having told us to expect annual upgrades to the M-chips, there's no longer a need for "rumors" about a processor upgrade within the next 12-18 months. 
    iOS_Guy80Alex1N
  • Reply 2 of 16
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,480member
    Just waiting for the new Mini to tryout the new Smart Script. Hoping it’ll become another text input method 
    ForumPost
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Apple Shouldn't release any products not capable of apple intelligence anymore.

The base iPad could come with a M1.
    iOS_Guy80lotonesnubuspulseimagesAlex1NForumPostChris_Pelham
  • Reply 4 of 16
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,728member

Or at the very least, the A18 processor.
    Alex1NChris_Pelhammike1
  • Reply 5 of 16
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    I would still like to have a 14”, or 16” iPad Pro.
    xsmiForumPost
  • Reply 6 of 16
    The base iPad could include the A17 Pro and run Apple Intelligence IF it comes with 8 GB of RAM. Don’t know if Apple could do this and keep the price at $349. More likely it will not, and instead feature an A16 and 4 GB of RAM.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 16
    The iPad mini is what I’m interested in, and since it closely aligns with the Air, I’m hoping for an A18.  They update this so infrequently it needs to have a chip that future proofs it for at least a little while!  Oh, and of course 8 GBs of RAM.
    Alex1NForumPost
  • Reply 8 of 16
    xsmixsmi Posts: 140member
    melgross said:
    You and me both. 
  • Reply 9 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,408member
    melgross said:
    Let me save you at least $1K on that … buy a monitor for your existing iPad Pro in the size you desire.

Voila!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,382member
    The base iPad could include the A17 Pro and run Apple Intelligence IF it comes with 8 GB of RAM. Don’t know if Apple could do this and keep the price at $349. More likely it will not, and instead feature an A16 and 4 GB of RAM.
    Shame optain hybrid memory didn’t work out. They could have replaced the RAM with the first 64/128gb of storage packaged with the SoC then only have to populate the SSD pads for higher capacities. That sure would give many more devices enough for what is to come.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I’ll wait for the next generation.
    eriamjhwilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 16
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,685member
    I’ll wait for the next generation.
    I’ll do you one better. 

I’ll wait for the next generation to go on clearance when the next next generation is released.     B)
    edited July 5 williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,328member

Why does it have to be an "M" chip. The iPhones will come with new "A" chips and will run AI just fine.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    FlappoFlappo Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    I used to think the ipad was purely a toy , but after moving into short term accommodation and using it with a magic keyboard im seriously impressed by its capabilities
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 16
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 290member
    I plugged in gigabit ethernet to my M4 11" iPad. We also have gigabit internet service. I was home from a long trip so there was a large number of APP updates to download and install. I think the M4 was nearly twice as fast as the M2 I gave to my son. 

I have often said that these new chips are just getting faster and faster. We are nearly to the point of an action being done and displayed in a fraction of an eye blink. But, how would we know if it is faster than the last chip that was nearly that fast?

Speed is great, but we need for the base RAM to be a useful number (like 32GB) so the processor is not starving for memory to do a process. At close to $2,000 (military discount price) for my M4 11" iPad Pro with 2TB SSD and cell service there is more than enough margin to put really useful amounts of RAM in the iPad Pro line. But the high prices of the Mac line should also be starting at 512GB and the base SSD could be 512GB as well....

williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 16
    The entire iPad lineup needs access to a more powerful OS and AI to justify the currently outlandish pricing. Can access all the services and business+home functionality we currently want as a family with our MBA M3, iPhone Pro and SE, AirPods Pro 2’s and Earpods, Apple TV with stereo paired HomePods and an iPad mini that our youngest uses. That is already a lot of money spent on Apple on top of our Apple One subscription and AppleCare. Finally getting myself an Apple Watch this year purely for health and fitness tracking as I’m getting older (& my wife will want one too), but can’t see another iPad or an AVP for that matter unless these products become more functional and/or the currently stratospheric prices drop. 
    williamlondon