Apple green lights Epic Games Store in rapid reversal

Posted:
in iOS edited 12:08PM

Mere hours after reports circulated that Apple had declined to approve the Epic Games Store for iOS in the EU, the iPhone maker has changed course, allowing the app to proceed anyway.

Epic Games Store logo over a patterned green circular background with crisscrossing lines.
Epic Games logo

Early on Friday, Epic Games complained that its submission of the Epic Games Store for iOS to Apple was rejected twice. The complaints were accompanied by claims Apple's rejection was "arbitrary, obstructive, and in violation" of the EU's Digital Markets Act.

Later the same day, Apple had a change of heart about the situation, and instead has approved the Epic Games Store.

Delayed correction request

In earlier reports, it was confirmed by Apple that Epic was mostly in compliance with EU-specific app review guidelines. The objectionable parts were a download button and related copy, which went against rules that forbid developers from making apps that can confuse consumers that elements in the apps were actually Apple-made items.

Epic had defended itself, insisting it used the same naming conventions employed across different platforms. Epic also said it followed standard conventions for buttons in iOS apps.

Apple has since told AppleInsider on Friday that it has approved Epic's marketplace app. It has also asked Epic to fix the buttons in a future submission of the app for review.

In effect, Apple is allowing the app to proceed with the questionable buttons since it's a relatively minor issue. Epic will still need to change them before it next submits the app for review.

Green light

Apple's acceptance that a small graphical issue isn't the end of the world certainly helps Epic get closer to launching its own iOS marketplace in the EU. However, it may not necessarily make a great difference to Epic's schedule.

It is unknown how much other work Epic has to complete to make the store available for use in the EU. Aside from the app being the main interface, it also has to construct a back-end to handle sales and downloads, among other essential functions.

At the time of the rejection complaint, Epic said it still planned to bring the store to iOS "in the next couple of months." Apple's approval will help reduce that time, but it is unclear how much by.

Epic has now confirmed that it was contacted by Apple, and that the submission was approved for notarization.

Update July 6 4:27 PM ET Following publication, an Epic spokesperson reached out to us.

"Apple has told some press channels that, though they have approved our current EGS iOS App for notarization, they are still demanding Epic change the user interface in a future version. Epic is disputing this."

When asked for clarification about the statement, the spokesperson identified the request to change the user interface as the point of dispute.

Should Epic not make the changes in a future update, it remains to be seen what Apple will do.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    dix99dix99 Posts: 15member
    Apple needs to put a safety disclaimer, with regards to downloading from outside of the App Store. Now it’s at the owners risk, as these have not been certified with an Apple Gold Check mark, which means they’ve been tested at Apple. 
    JaiOh81gregoriusmstrongy
  • Reply 2 of 20
    dix99 said:
    Apple needs to put a safety disclaimer, with regards to downloading from outside of the App Store. Now it’s at the owners risk, as these have not been certified with an Apple Gold Check mark, which means they’ve been tested at Apple. 
    Apple needs to NOT imply that apps from outside the Apple app store are somehow any less safe than apps from inside it, because if they lie like that they're going to find themselves with even higher fines.

And that's a good thing.

Apple has been treating you so badly for so long that you've developed something akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
    mikethemartianneoncatelijahgavon b7pascal007ctt_zhgrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I’m looking into my crystal ball and I see Epic offering some short term lower prices for PR purposes. Then they’ll increase prices and claim it’s the result of increased costs and that they’re doing everything they can to improve the experience for Epic store users.
    pascal007strongy
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Though I'm not a Fortnite fan, this is definitely a win for consumers, it was always crazy to me that Apple can literally victimize their customer base for their own greed. Like it or not, my opinion and what appears to be the growing opinion is phones are the new computers, all purpose devices and should not be limited by the manufacturer. You should be able to download apps from anywhere you want. 
    pascal007ctt_zhelijahggrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Though I'm not a Fortnite fan, this is definitely a win for consumers, it was always crazy to me that Apple can literally victimize their customer base for their own greed. Like it or not, my opinion and what appears to be the growing opinion is phones are the new computers, all purpose devices and should not be limited by the manufacturer. You should be able to download apps from anywhere you want. 
    The vast majority of Apple customers disagree with you.  People choose Apple because they want it to “just work” know that everything is vetted by Apple.  If people wanted other app stores they’d buy an Android.
    gregoriusmmeterestnzpurplepearstrongyAlex1NGabyroundaboutnow
  • Reply 6 of 20
    The vast majority of Apple customers disagree with you.  People choose Apple because they want it to “just work” know that everything is vetted by Apple.  If people wanted other app stores they’d buy an Android.
    It's should be clear by now that the "vast majority of Apple customers" (really just code for AppleInsider patrons and a few other tech sites) are in the minority. I follow a few sites and really this site is the only site that believes Apple should just get away with anything. 
    I'm sure a lot of people don't care either way and once people find out that they can use their phones the way they want that opinion will continue to turn. There's always an option not to use this alt App Stores. I personally can't wait for Chromium based Chrome, and to be able to download the real NordVPN from their site like I could on Android
    elijahgpascal007ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 7 of 20
    shad0hshad0h Posts: 1member
    dix99 said:
    Apple needs to NOT imply that apps from outside the Apple app store are somehow any less safe than apps from inside it, because if they lie like that they're going to find themselves with even higher fines.

And that's a good thing.

Apple has been treating you so badly for so long that you've developed something akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
    That's quite an effective strawman that you have created. I could only suppose the motivation.

Previously Apple was entirely responsible for the content published on its App Store, including published commentary on the rigorous review performed prior to content being available - Apple was the single 'throat to choke' if you had issue with an app in the store. This was a value add for using the Apple ecosystem, in protection, and validation that the content would still be supported/able on the current OS.

This change to have alternate stores, which I support and enjoy, muddies the waters around their original content protection status'. It would be poor operation for Apple to do anything other than communicate that its controls are not applied to content in the 3rd party stores. Equally their statement may go further to advise that there is no guarantee that this content will be supported on various devices or future OS (despite the store's claims).

Anything less would be foolish, and invite support of issues relating to third party stores being presented to Apple support, rather than the 3rd party store owner.
    strongyAlex1NBlizzardGabyroundaboutnowtimpetus
  • Reply 8 of 20
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,291member
    dix99 said:

And that's a good thing.

So are you saying that when a compromise happens, then Apple *customers* need not blame Apple? Because that happens and is going to continue to happen. It's a balancing act, and I applaud Apple for playing this carefully. The news is not full of "iOS hacked" because of that approach, unlike how the news used to be full of "Windows hacked again!" We live in a dangerous world full of opportunistic folks.
    strongyAlex1N
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,422member
    I’ve had plenty of experiences where my Apple products don’t “just work”.
    elijahgpascal007ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 10 of 20
    And yet you don’t even give us the most recent example.
    strongywilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 20
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,631member
    Though I'm not a Fortnite fan, this is definitely a win for consumers, it was always crazy to me that Apple can literally victimize their customer base 
    If Apple is forced (by people like you) to not produce and sell products that people like me want, then our freedom is lost. You are against Apple's freedom, and mine, to build and buy what we want. You get exactly what you want (Android) but you don't want us to get what we want. No freedom there. If Apple is forced to copy Android much more, I will abandon Apple.
    strongyAlex1NGabyroundaboutnow
  • Reply 12 of 20
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,785member
    And yet you don’t even give us the most recent example.
    Have you not experienced Siri?
    pascal007ctt_zhAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I don't expect it to be long before Epic are obnoxiously breaking rules to bypass some payment, " In the name of freedom of corse" and blame Apple's charges for making them take such a big cut from their store.
    timpetus
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I hope everybody downloads the app - but nobody buys anything outside ;) 

Gaby
  • Reply 15 of 20
    longfanglongfang Posts: 492member
    I hope everybody downloads the app - but nobody buys anything outside ;) 

I’d get it to get Epic’s “Free” bribes then never play them. 
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 16 of 20
    BlizzardBlizzard Posts: 43member
    dix99 said:

And that's a good thing.

But it is not a lie, it is a simple statement stating that "apps downloaded outside of the app store have not been verified and tested by Apple, and as a result there could be an increase security risk."

The whole point of Apple app store, the Windows store, and Google Playstore is that these apps have been verified and approved already for security.
    williamlondonroundaboutnow
  • Reply 17 of 20
    BlizzardBlizzard Posts: 43member
    greginprague said
    Do they?  Apple customers don't want the ability to be able to download apps outside of the app store?  I don't think that is true.  I think the majority of the apple customers would prefer to be able to download apps from the apple app store as well as being able to download apps from outside the apple app store.  If they have a concern about the security of a specific app then they will try to download it from the apple app store if it is available, if it isn't they won't download it.
    edited July 7 williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 20
    GabyGaby Posts: 193member
    "Apple has told some press channels that, though they have approved our current EGS iOS App for notarization, they are still demanding Epic change the user interface in a future version. Epic is disputing this."

When asked for clarification about the statement, the spokesperson identified the request to change the user interface as the point of dispute.

Talk about “malicious compliance”….. 
    edited July 7 williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 20
    GabyGaby Posts: 193member
    Blizzard said:
    greginprague said
    Do they?  Apple customers don't want the ability to be able to download apps outside of the app store?  I don't think that is true.  I think the majority of the apple customers would prefer to be able to download apps from the apple app store as well as being able to download apps from outside the apple app store.  If they have a concern about the security of a specific app then they will try to download it from the apple app store if it is available, if it isn't they won't download it.
    This is utter nonsense my friend. There is not a single application that I need or want that is not available on the AppStore. If you want to list obscure cases of software that you or few others personally use or wish to use, that is all well and good, but it’s called an iPhone for a reason. If I need to do anything serious I have a Mac, some may choose windows, but whatever. I mean there is only so much that can be done with the form factor. Moreover, Apple created the entire ecosystem and category that has made developers the world over and created an entirely new economy. This whole thing has been brought about by sheer jealousy and greed by the very same people that are now worth billions and have benefitted enormously from Apple’s hard work and smart business decisions, as well as useful idiots campaigning on their behalf.  The fact is that the silent majority of us have no wish of sideloading, jailbreaking or alternative stores - which I guarantee will not be any cheaper in the long run - this is simply another case of the vocal minority spoiling things for the rest of us. Again. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Though I'm not a Fortnite fan, this is definitely a win for consumers, it was always crazy to me that Apple can literally victimize their customer base 
    If Apple is forced (by people like you) to not produce and sell products that people like me want, then our freedom is lost. You are against Apple's freedom, and mine, to build and buy what we want. You get exactly what you want (Android) but you don't want us to get what we want. No freedom there. If Apple is forced to copy Android much more, I will abandon Apple.

No one's freedom is comprised by adding the capability to download from alternate stores.  Talk about hyperbole.

My only concern, and "concern" is probably an overly strong word to convey my feelings here, is that an alternate store will be less likely to do even the not wholly adequate vetting that Apple does, making it more likely that a malicious app makes it onto the phone.  Once that app is on an iPhone, it could conceivably make it easier to compromise other iPhones if, for instance, the app can "phone home" about vulnerabilities.  While I find that to be a plausible scenario, I'm not sure it's very likely.  At least I'd like it to be not likely.

Even though Apple's app vetting process is pretty good, it's not perfect, and I would not expect others stories to be as good for some period of time while they learn all the things Apple has learned over the years.
    williamlondon