Apple green lights Epic Games Store in rapid reversal
Mere hours after reports circulated that Apple had declined to approve the Epic Games Store for iOS in the EU, the iPhone maker has changed course, allowing the app to proceed anyway.

Epic Games logo
Early on Friday, Epic Games complained that its submission of the Epic Games Store for iOS to Apple was rejected twice. The complaints were accompanied by claims Apple's rejection was "arbitrary, obstructive, and in violation" of the EU's Digital Markets Act.
Later the same day, Apple had a change of heart about the situation, and instead has approved the Epic Games Store.
Delayed correction request
In earlier reports, it was confirmed by Apple that Epic was mostly in compliance with EU-specific app review guidelines. The objectionable parts were a download button and related copy, which went against rules that forbid developers from making apps that can confuse consumers that elements in the apps were actually Apple-made items.
Epic had defended itself, insisting it used the same naming conventions employed across different platforms. Epic also said it followed standard conventions for buttons in iOS apps.
Apple has since told AppleInsider on Friday that it has approved Epic's marketplace app. It has also asked Epic to fix the buttons in a future submission of the app for review.
In effect, Apple is allowing the app to proceed with the questionable buttons since it's a relatively minor issue. Epic will still need to change them before it next submits the app for review.
Green light
Apple's acceptance that a small graphical issue isn't the end of the world certainly helps Epic get closer to launching its own iOS marketplace in the EU. However, it may not necessarily make a great difference to Epic's schedule.
It is unknown how much other work Epic has to complete to make the store available for use in the EU. Aside from the app being the main interface, it also has to construct a back-end to handle sales and downloads, among other essential functions.
At the time of the rejection complaint, Epic said it still planned to bring the store to iOS "in the next couple of months." Apple's approval will help reduce that time, but it is unclear how much by.
Epic has now confirmed that it was contacted by Apple, and that the submission was approved for notarization.
Update July 6 4:27 PM ET Following publication, an Epic spokesperson reached out to us.
"Apple has told some press channels that, though they have approved our current EGS iOS App for notarization, they are still demanding Epic change the user interface in a future version. Epic is disputing this."
When asked for clarification about the statement, the spokesperson identified the request to change the user interface as the point of dispute.
Should Epic not make the changes in a future update, it remains to be seen what Apple will do.
Read on AppleInsider
Comments
I'm sure a lot of people don't care either way and once people find out that they can use their phones the way they want that opinion will continue to turn. There's always an option not to use this alt App Stores. I personally can't wait for Chromium based Chrome, and to be able to download the real NordVPN from their site like I could on Android
Previously Apple was entirely responsible for the content published on its App Store, including published commentary on the rigorous review performed prior to content being available - Apple was the single 'throat to choke' if you had issue with an app in the store. This was a value add for using the Apple ecosystem, in protection, and validation that the content would still be supported/able on the current OS.
This change to have alternate stores, which I support and enjoy, muddies the waters around their original content protection status'. It would be poor operation for Apple to do anything other than communicate that its controls are not applied to content in the 3rd party stores. Equally their statement may go further to advise that there is no guarantee that this content will be supported on various devices or future OS (despite the store's claims).
Anything less would be foolish, and invite support of issues relating to third party stores being presented to Apple support, rather than the 3rd party store owner.
So are you saying that when a compromise happens, then Apple *customers* need not blame Apple? Because that happens and is going to continue to happen. It's a balancing act, and I applaud Apple for playing this carefully. The news is not full of "iOS hacked" because of that approach, unlike how the news used to be full of "Windows hacked again!" We live in a dangerous world full of opportunistic folks.
The whole point of Apple app store, the Windows store, and Google Playstore is that these apps have been verified and approved already for security.
When asked for clarification about the statement, the spokesperson identified the request to change the user interface as the point of dispute.