Apple Silicon Macs are staying in use longer than Intel Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware

The transition to Apple Silicon reshaped Apple's hardware landscape and influenced user behavior, extending the lifespan of Macs and altering upgrade cycles.

Close-up of a circular Mac Studio label on a metallic surface, displaying embossed text within a black ring.
Apple Silicon Macs are staying in use longer than ever

Before 2020, Apple relied heavily on Intel processors for its Mac computers. The partnership began in 2006 and brought significant performance improvements and helped Apple gain a stronger foothold in the personal computing market.

However, as technology advanced, the limitations of relying on a third party for critical components became apparent. Intel's slower pace -- and failed promises -- in advancing its chip technology lagged behind the demands of Apple's vision for its products.

Bar chart comparing customer retention over years from 2020 to 2024, showing increasing retention for longer periods.
Age of previous Mac for Apple customers purchasing a new Mac (12 months ending March each year)

The introduction of the M1 chip in 2020 set the stage for a new era of Apple computing.

User adoption and changing upgrade cycles

The transition to Apple Silicon also had a notable effect on user behavior. According to the latest report by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP), the percentage of Mac owners who kept their previous device for more than two years increased from 59% in 2020 to 68% in 2023.

That trend aligns with a broader pattern observed across Apple's product lines, including iPhones and iPads, where users are holding onto their devices for longer periods.

In the most recent 12-month period, the percentage of iPhone and Mac computer owners whose previous device was older than two years increased to 71% and 68%, respectively. In 2020, 63% of iPhone and 59% of Mac computer owners reported owning their previous device for two years or more.

Several factors contribute to this shift. First, the improved performance of Apple Silicon Macs mean users are less inclined to upgrade frequently.

Another factor during that period was the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. As people adapted to remote work and online education, there was a surge in demand for reliable technology, leading many to invest in new devices.

However, following the difficult early days, continuing economic uncertainties and the need for cost-effective solutions have been encouraging users to hold onto their existing devices for longer.

Apple Silicon Macs enhanced efficiency and power versus Intel Macs have proven to be able to handle demanding tasks for several years. And as the market for traditional desktop software continues to shrink in favor of cloud-based applications, the need for frequent hardware upgrades also contributes to a decline in upgrades.

But now that Apple Silicon has met the needs of various types of customers, the next focus may be on battery life. "In fact, for most laptop owners, improvement in battery longevity may be the most important factor, which may have also reached a satisfactory threshold," CIRP says.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ramanpfafframanpfaff Posts: 140member
    I can't believe my M1 Air is four years old already. Still feels really fast compared to all my Intels over the years.
    williamlondonMisterKitmacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,872member
    I think they should have compared 2024 figures to 2015 or 2017. The introduction of Apple Silicon Macs would have enticed people to upgrade sooner making the 2020 figures artificially short. How long did people keep their Intel Macs when the M-Series were not on the horizon? That would be interesting data. I would suspect it would be about as long as the 2024 figures. 

Of course I am saying this as someone who last year traded in Macs from 2017, 2015, and 2012 on new Apple Silicon.
    edited July 10 muthuk_vanalingamFidonet127bandits1sandorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,561member
    I can't believe my M1 Air is four years old already. Still feels really fast compared to all my Intels over the years.
    Unsurprising to me. I know that there are some users out there who feel like the latest M serious chips aren’t up to snuff (gamers and advanced 3D modeling?) but even the M1 has tremendous headroom when running just about any office productivity or even programming tasks.  The fact that the M serious chips run cool and so much of the essential elements of a computing platform are inside the SoC reduces the population of what once were separate components or subsystems reduces the number of ways the system can degrade or fail. 

Of course Apple is doing its best to increase the load on these SoCs by dreaming up new processing intensive capabilities so the cycle of upgrades will not be slowing down anytime soon. Apple nailed it with their Apple Silicon innovation and as usual the companies who were much less insightful have been working like crazy to catch up to Apple, but Apple isn’t slowing down at all.
    sconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Apple silicon is a game changer but people forget how much of a difference SSD hard drives made when they were introduced. Our 2011 MBA (SSD) died this year. It kept going well beyond software support ending and the only repair was a battery replacement. Without SSD the Intel processor would have been practically unusable a long time ago. I had a MacBook Pro with HDD (also 2011 model year) for work around 2014-2016 and it was so slow as to be almost unusable compared with the humble MBA.
    9secondkox2baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamsconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,924member
    Apple silicon can’t really have a track record yet. Only a few years. 

My g4 PowerBook lasted 11 years and still runs well. But can’t run new software. 

My 2016 MBP and 2015 iMac still do everything with aplomb. 8 and 9 years. 

Been holding off for a new large iMac and faster MBP. 

But don’t know how much longer I want to hold out. There’s new stuff that only works with AS and I’m getting antsy. 

But any comparison of AS longevity should honestly wait a while, though it looks favorable to exceed previous benchmarks. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,229member
    Well, on the one hand anything less than a three year replacement cycle would be very unusual. Particularly as Apple doesn’t have much of a corporate presence.
    on the other anything other than the base model is very expensive, further slowing replacements.
    the gripping hand is they are very reliable and quick as it is.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    FlappoFlappo Posts: 42unconfirmed, member
    Loving the hardware but hating the os , ott privacy protection drives me nuts 
    baconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,410moderator
    My 2016 MBP and 2015 iMac still do everything with aplomb. 8 and 9 years. 

Been holding off for a new large iMac and faster MBP. 

But don’t know how much longer I want to hold out. There’s new stuff that only works with AS and I’m getting antsy. 
    Maybe worth waiting until October for the M4 MBPs as they use ARMv9 but any of the Max chips will be 5-10x faster than 2015-2016 models and it's not just that they run faster, they do it like an iPad, ice cold most of the time. Real world battery life is 3-5x too.

They have refurbs of the M3 ones, which doesn't feel so bad buying if M4 comes out in October because it's 15% off.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/G1AG0LL/A

I doubt a large iMac will be out for a while, if ever. The display cost for a 32" 6K panel won't be low enough for them to make one, 27" Studio IPS display is $1600. Easiest route to go would be Studio or mini + OLED display (or the Studio Display but OLED has better color and HDR). Apple is selling so many Studio Macs that it replaces the larger iMacs at that price point.

32" 4K OLED = $1310 https://www.amazon.com/LG-%E2%80%8E32GS95UE-Ultragear-DisplayHDR-DisplayPort/dp/B0CV1Y7NLT
    An M2 Max Studio 32GB/1TB is $1800 https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/mac-studio

I doubt Studio models will be updated in October, more likely March 2025 or later but a MBP can be used with a display until the Studio is updated.
    dewmewilliamlondontmaysconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 953member
    No surprise. Even M1 Macs are faster than most people will ever need them to be. Perhaps Apple Intelligence will justify the need for an upgrade in one way or another, but barring that--and as M chips get more and more powerful--I think the upgrade cycle is likely to get even longer. Apple design has also really settled into a form follows function groove that has produced a very similar design language across Macbooks, iPads, iPhones, even iMacs, and I don't see that changing anytime soon: thin rectangular slabs with rounded corners. I guess there's always the "Even thinner now!" card to play, but you still have to accommodate the thickness of a USB-C port, and Apple designs are barely thicker than that now. 
    baconstangFlapposconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    sandorsandor Posts: 663member
    Incidentally, the M1 has decreased service time for our office computers (about 50 & a mix of iMacs & Mac minis with a smattering of MacBooks)

Our last big batch was 2012 - ram and SSD upgrades provided an incredible lifecycle for this mature generation of Apple computers - many achieving more than a decade in service.

The first gen M1 machines have already been replaced with less that 4 years of service - the lack of an upgrade path, combined to the change in our office structure, has EOL'ed these machines much faster than the last of the upgradeable Intel Macs. 

At this point, we are being forced to max out ram & step up internal storage to much higher levels in hopes of getting 5 years of service out of them.
    More money up front & paying a premium for the higher specs, but hopefully it will work out better than our initial batch of M1 computers.

The speeds are great, but on the corporate side the lack of upgrade paths for the ram and storage is aggravating. 

It's always been wonderful to chat with other departments who are engaged in a constant stream of component replacements with their Wintel machines many even within the first year or two. By 3 years, the major components typically have all been replaced.
    Our Mac hardware has had incredibly lower support costs which completely outweighed the purchase premium.
    The M1 changed the math for the worse.

muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonmarklark
  • Reply 11 of 19
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,445member
    Apple silicon is a game changer but people forget how much of a difference SSD hard drives made when they were introduced. Our 2011 MBA (SSD) died this year. It kept going well beyond software support ending and the only repair was a battery replacement. Without SSD the Intel processor would have been practically unusable a long time ago. I had a MacBook Pro with HDD (also 2011 model year) for work around 2014-2016 and it was so slow as to be almost unusable compared with the humble MBA.
    SSDs were definitely a huge upgrade.

Another thing that really makes Macs last is apple’s stellar QoS. Mac OS does a great job of prioritizing system responsiveness to the user, so that Macs that might differ a fair bit on benchmarks don’t feel all that different to the user. 
    marklarkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    blastdoor said:

...Mac OS does a great job of prioritizing system responsiveness to the user,...
    We must not be working with the same Finder. 

I have seen no substantive reduction in beach balling from 10.13 through macOS 14.

in our environment, i would estimate at least one daily force restart (hold power button down) because of a beach balling Finder.

Kernel panics have definitely improved - we have 10.14 & 10.15 machines that panic at least once per week, however we very rarely see the macOS 13/14 machines panic.
    Flappowilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 19
    YP101YP101 Posts: 164member
    Give me M4 Mac mini. Apple, take my money and trade in my M1 Mac mini.
    sconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    sandor said:
    blastdoor said:

...Mac OS does a great job of prioritizing system responsiveness to the user,...

I have seen no substantive reduction in beach balling from 10.13 through macOS 14.

in our environment, i would estimate at least one daily force restart (hold power button down) because of a beach balling Finder.

Kernel panics have definitely improved - we have 10.14 & 10.15 machines that panic at least once per week, however we very rarely see the macOS 13/14 machines panic.
    That’s weird. My Mac goes for months without a reboot, and then it’s usually for an OS update. I typically use it at least eight hours a day with multiple spaces and a wide range of apps and terminals open. This has been my typical experience with Macs going back to when I returned to the platform in 2006. 

The only times I’ve experienced lags with the finder are from external HDDs, when they spin up from sleep. So, SSDs are the way to go. 

Curious to hear if you have any guesses as to what’s causing your problems. It sounds very abnormal to me. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonnrg2Flappowatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    YP101 said:
    Give me M4 Mac mini. Apple, take my money and trade in my M1 Mac mini.
    Earlier this spring I thought I’d wait to buy an updated Mac Studio at WWDC, but then stumbled across this from Nostradamus

In the year of the fruit, the Studio shall slumber, untouched by the hand of progress. Seek not the new, for the stars decree stillness.

So I bought a refurbished m2 pro Mac mini and all has been well 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    blastdoor said:
    sandor said:
    blastdoor said:

That’s weird. My Mac goes for months without a reboot, and then it’s usually for an OS update. I typically use it at least eight hours a day with multiple spaces and a wide range of apps and terminals open. This has been my typical experience with Macs going back to when I returned to the platform in 2006. 

The only times I’ve experienced lags with the finder are from external HDDs, when they spin up from sleep. So, SSDs are the way to go. 

Curious to hear if you have any guesses as to what’s causing your problems. It sounds very abnormal to me. 
    The specific machines i am speaking of are on a fibre network connected to our RAID arrays. 
    Our workstations are through-putting multiple TBs.

Honestly i think it is a ram usage issue for the most part & if we scheduled restarts during the day it would help. 
    We have a few Mac Pros with 128+ GB of ram & they have far fewer issues - the machines 32 GB & under are the problem ones.
    edited July 11 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 701member
    I used to get a new PowerBook or MacBook Pro every three years. Unless something really crazy (good) happens with them, I do not see giving up my 16-inch M1 Max MBP for many years.
    Flappowilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,111member
    sandor said:
    blastdoor said:

I go for months without rebooting my Mac.  If you're doing a daily restart to resolve this, sounds like there's something completely different going on.  Troubleshoot and figure out what's going on.  
    Flappowilliamlondontmaynrg2watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19
    sflocal said:
    sandor said:
    blastdoor said:

I go for months without rebooting my Mac.  If you're doing a daily restart to resolve this, sounds like there's something completely different going on.  Troubleshoot and figure out what's going on.  
    my personal MacBook i am the same way - 198 days is my current uptime.

I have been talking about the hardest used workstations @ our office (4 out of about 50 machines)
    their use case is utterly different & incredibly data heavy on an 8 Gbps fibre network with multiple 100+ TB RAID arrays.

edited July 12 watto_cobra