Florida has temporarily suspended support for its digital driver's license app

Posted:
in iOS edited July 10

Florida has abruptly removed its digital driver's license application from the iOS and Android app stores, forcing digital ID holders to rely on physical cards for the time being.

A digital screen displaying a driver's license with a photo, name, and various personal details, including date of birth, address, and license numbers.
Florida has removed its Florida Smart ID app from the iOS App Store

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) has ended support for its current digital driver's license app, known as Florida Smart ID. The agency announced on its website that it is removing its application from the iOS App Store and Google Play Store on Android, and has instructed users to delete the current Florida Smart ID app from their devices as it will no longer be functional.

The sudden and unexpected removal of the Florida DHSMV's application is the result of a vendor-related issue. According to the FLHSMV website, the Florida Smart ID app will be updated and improved by an entirely new vendor.

As first reported by 9to5mac, The FLHSMV plans to have a new version of the app developed by early 2025. The agency has instructed users to send an email to [email protected] to receive notifications once the new-and-improved application becomes available.

The FLHSMV provided a short statement to users of the digital ID app.

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles is working to enhance services to its customers. The agency will be revising the Florida Smart ID application. Once a new vendor is selected, improvements will be made to the Florida Smart ID application.

At this time, FLHSMV is removing the current Florida Smart ID application from app stores. If you have downloaded the app, please delete it from your device, as it will no longer be functional. Please note, your data remains secure with the Department.

We expect the new app to be developed by early 2025 and will notify you by email at that time.

Florida's Smart ID application was originally introduced in early November of 2021, and became fully functional later a month later in December 2021. Unlike other US states, which support Digital IDs in Apple's Wallet app for iOS, Florida had a standalone application for digital driver's licenses.

While Apple's Wallet application lets users input and save digital IDs and driver's licenses, you can only add your license to the app in four US states: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia and Maryland. As mentioned previously, Florida had its own dedicated app for digital driver's licenses, meaning that they could not be added to the Apple Wallet app, despite claiming Apple was working with the state previously.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    boxcatcherboxcatcher Posts: 271member
    The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) totally dropped the ball in the standard it developed for digital ID.

They focused far too much on designing a flashy digital ID and almost not at all on how the new ID would work elegantly alongside physical ID. 

As a result, the new standard is a pain to actually accept alongside physical ID, so no one (rental car places, grocery stores, clubs, etc.) want to use it.

total mess
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,891member
    Why can't they just work with Apple and implement Apple's digital version? Why do these places have to think they can do it better? 
    iOS_Guy80StrangeDaysnetroxForumPostjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 865member
    Wish NYS would join the 21st-century and allow our drivers license to be integrated into the Apple wallet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Sure this sounds super convenient but I'm not sure why everyone is rushing to have all of their data and identity controlled by Big Tech. I actually find it scary that one company has all your health data, personal information, banking information, and basically knows everything about you. That they'll use for their own corporate gain. There may not have been a data breach to date but the day there is, it'll be the most disastrous. I prefer my data to stay with the places that hold them now. With all that said I support regulation of big tech and think they should stay out of every industry
    muthuk_vanalingamgatorguyDAalsethwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 15
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 50member
    The current app was useless anyway. Went to the DMV a few months ago to pay for my renewal with a check (to avoid crazy surcharges for using a credit card). 

I had forgotten my wallet. I when they asked for my ID to accept the check, I told them and said, “but I have you digital id app” and was told they don’t accept that as a valid ID. 

If they do t accept it, how can we expect anyone to?
    dewmeronnjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Wish NYS would join the 21st-century and allow our drivers license to be integrated into the Apple wallet.
    All states should be doing this. It's ridicluous 
    ronnjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15

Sure this sounds super convenient but I'm not sure why everyone is rushing to have all of their data and identity controlled by Big Tech. I actually find it scary that one company has all your health data, personal information, banking information, and basically knows everything about you. That they'll use for their own corporate gain. There may not have been a data breach to date but the day there is, it'll be the most disastrous. I prefer my data to stay with the places that hold them now. With all that said I support regulation of big tech and think they should stay out of every industry
    Apple doesn't know anything about you.  How many times do we have to go over this? 
    edited July 10 ronnnetroxForumPostAnObserverjeffharrisilarynxwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,984member
    Apple keeps as little as possible, preferring to encrypt into the secure enclave local to your device. But even for the stuff they do retain, they are more secure than your hundred smaller mom & pop data collecting businesses. 
    ronnForumPostAnObserverjeffharriswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,323member
    Looks likes someone forgot to make a campaign contribution.
    ForumPostilarynxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    macxpress said:

Apple doesn't know anything about you.  How many times do we have to go over this? 
    Whatever helps you sleep at night.  Apple knows quite a bit about you.  They just don't sell as much of it to others as do Google, Amazon, etc.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 15
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,908member
    I’m not worried about Apple, your bank and credit agencies already know way more, and they do use it for gain.
    That said though I don’t see the advantage of a digital drivers license. In the 45 years I’ve had a licence it has never had a dead battery, or a cracked screen, or trouble getting service. It has never been damaged by water or overheated. A card just works. I do not see the advantage of putting another egg in an already overflowing basket, especially one that is dependant on so many things working properly. I carry a wallet and a phone. It ain’t a big deal. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Apparently the digital version of the ID was really only valid for age verification when buying alcohol or tobacco. Bizarre. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 703member
    Florida. Slipping backwards, every day.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,937member
    Well, does anyone really want to hand their unlocked phone to the LEO who just pulled you over?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Well, does anyone really want to hand their unlocked phone to the LEO who just pulled you over?

Not if they're smart.

However, from what I've heard, such apps can display the ID from the lock screen.

I'm still not giving my phone to a cop when not legally required to do so.
    watto_cobra