Apple sends iPhone hack warnings to more users in 98 countries

Posted:
in iOS

Apple has again issued notifications of suspected threats against iPhone users from spyware, and asking users to take it seriously.

Screen with lines of white programming code on a dark background, digitally distorted at the right side, resembling a glitch effect.
Apple has been warning users of a spyware attack on iPhones

In 2021, Apple announced that it would begin sending alerts to iPhone users that it had reason to believe were the subject of state-sponsored malware or spyware attacks. Since then, it has occasionally issued warnings, such as in April 2024 when users across 92 countries were alerted.

Now as spotted by TechCrunch, Apple has issued new alerts to users in 98 countries. It's not clear whether Apple's warning includes that it is being sent to that number of territories, but it is known that the text says the company has detected spyware attempts.

"Apple detected that you are being targeted by a mercenary spyware attack that is trying to remotely compromise the iPhone associated with your Apple ID," says the alert, which also includes the user's correct Apple Account.

"This attack is likely targeting you specifically because of who you are or what you do," it continues. "Although it's never possible to achieve absolute certainty when detecting such attacks, Apple has high confidence in this warning -- please take it seriously."

Apple does not disclose how it detects suspected spyware attacks. It does so for fear of revealing its methods and so enabling future bad actors to circumvent detection.

For similar reasons, if not also legal and political ones, Apple does not attribute the attacks to any organization or government, either. Its warnings did originally specify that the alerts concerned "state-sponsored" attacks, but that has been toned down in the latest round of warnings to just "mercenary spyware."

It's not clear why the alerts go out en masse. It seems unlikely that Apple would wait to issue them all in batches, so it's likely that it reflects the detection of coordinated mass attack attempts.

Away from these alerts, Apple does offer general advice on protecting yourself from security issues. There is also much that AppleInsider recommends doing for such protection.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 339member
    A great thing Apple does that. 
    lotonesForumPost
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I've never had one of these alerts before, how am I supposed to know if it's a genuine alert or a fake alert in order to get me to click on a link for example for more details.  I bet there are many users who don't or are even aware there are websites like these which inform them of such attacks or just deliver general news about technology.