Tim Cook, Eddy Cue, and Sam Altman hobnob at annual Sun Valley media retreat

Posted:
in General Discussion

Apple's Tim Cook and Eddy Cue have returned to the annual Allen & Company Sun Valley retreat, known for being where billionaires make significant deals.

Man with glasses and white hair, wearing a blue shirt, holding up two fingers in a peace sign, standing against a blurred green background.
Tim Cook at Sun Valley 2024 (Source: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

Tim Cook is a regular at the annual week-long retreat in Idaho, and presumably apart from the COVID years, has been at each one since 2011. Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Services, began attending in 2013, but it was apparently in 2018 and then in 2019 when the pair discussed deals for Apple TV+.

It was at a Sun Valley week that Jeff Bezos initiated his buying of the Washington Post. It was also there that Disney made the deal that landed them ABC, which upon retrospect hasn't served them all that well in the long run.

Then it was also there, at this retreat for billionaires, that Disney CEO Bob Iger criticized writers for striking to get paid. Some weren't striking to get better pay, they were striking to get paid at all.

That comment from Iger was tone-deaf, but it was also rare. Usually there is no word from the attendees of Sun Valley.

So we are not going to learn what Tim Cook and Eddy Cue are there to discuss, if they're even there to discuss anything. Cue waved to the press as he arrived, while Tim Cook gave journalists a peace sign.

Smiling man in a red shirt waves while holding a document, standing next to a person in the background with a vest and light blue shirt.
Eddy Cue at Sun Valley 2024 (Source: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)

What we can know is that they must have a lot to say to one particular attendee. For Sam Altman from OpenAI has been spotted at the retreat this year, arriving on a golf cart.

According to Entrepreneur, Bob Iger is back, and the many other notable people range from Paramount's Shari Redstone, to former Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick, and New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    darbus69darbus69 Posts: 41member
    wanna be a fly on that wall…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,660member
    darbus69 said:
    I would settle for being a waiter. The tips must be excellent. Including the stock-buying tips.
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    darbus69 said:
    Probably one of the last places in the world I would want to be. Seems like a vapid environment.
    nubuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Rule of thumb: don't digitally increase the size of photos more than 200% or you'll get the weird blurry pixel/vector hybrid look that the Cook/Cue photos have. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Probably high percentage of pro-Project2025 attendees there. 
    sconosciutotmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,034member
    I guess those of us not at the table are on the menu
    Alex_Vnubusgatorguysconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,291member
    They just take turns diving into a swimming pool filled with $100 bills. Cannon balls off the roof. 
    Alex_Vsconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    larryjw said:
    I guess those of us not at the table are on the menu
    That's always been the case.  It's just increasingly "farm to table" these days.
    sconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 169member
    Tim's smile is also a frown.  Intriguing    
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,400member
    darbus69 said:
    I would settle for being a waiter. The tips must be excellent. Including the stock-buying tips.
    That is why the young staffer in the photo is smiling. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    cg27cg27 Posts: 220member
    Eddy’s not merely waving, he’s showing off the latest AppleCard
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    jblongz said:
    Tim's smile is also a frown.  Intriguing    
    Modern Day Mona Lisa poker face
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    hexclock said:
    They just take turns diving into a swimming pool filled with $100 bills. Cannon balls off the roof. 
    And make wagers about Elon’s next moves with StarLink, X, AI and so on
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    nubusnubus Posts: 509member
    Probably one of the last places in the world I would want to be. Seems like a vapid environment.
    This is an echo chamber. They agree on stuff, go back, and have their teams build products/services. The results are then hit by fines and legislation causing all kinds of problems to the companies and society. No more white water rafting for Tim. He should do something he isn't good at like navigating Brussels. Spend a day with Vestager from EU. She is even good at Haiku.

Apple’s circle shines bright,
    Brussels' stars in union glow
    — Harmony in sight.

edited July 13
  • Reply 15 of 15
    PemaPema Posts: 83member
    darbus69 said:
    I am not sure that you would want to be a fly on the wall. At a venue such as this flies would be swatted. 
    Better get rich and famous and get invited.  :D :D