Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Presumed Innocent' gets renewed for a second season

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Apple has renewed its legal drama "Presumed Innocent" starring Jake Gyllenhaal for a second season on Apple TV+.

Man in a suit and tie sits in a courtroom, appearing serious, while a woman writes in a notebook in the background.
Jake Gyllenhaal in 'Presumed Innocent' for Apple TV+

The first season of Presumed Innocent is still airing, with the eight-episode limited series set to conclude on July 24. It's managed to enter the top 10 of streaming shows on Reelgood, indicating it is a highly-viewed show.

The show has made an impression on Apple, which confirmed to Variety as well as via X that a second season is on the way.

New season. New case.

Presumed Innocent has been renewed for season 2. pic.twitter.com/FeKFmAWuei

-- Apple TV (@AppleTV)

Due to the limited nature of the first season, it is unclear if the second will follow on any of the storyline, or reuse any characters. Apple didn't confirm to the report any details, but did tweet "New Season. New case."

Based on the novel of the same name by Scott Turow, Presumed Innocent follows prosecutor Rusty Sabich, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, as he faces being accused of murder by a colleague. It explores obsession, sex, politics, and the power and limits of love.

The cast also includes Ruth Negga, Bill Camp, Elizabeth Marvel, Peter Sarsgaard, O-T Fagbenle, and Renate Reinsve. Gyllenhaal is listed as one of the executive producers, alongside J.J. Abrams.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Great show, really well done. The 90s movie with Harrison Ford was great, but the show easily tops it, IMO. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    clexmanclexman Posts: 213member
    Spoiler alert. I guess if he’s in a second season, he’s not guilty in the first. 
    ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    PemaPema Posts: 83member
    clexman said:
    Spoiler alert. I guess if he’s in a second season, he’s not guilty in the first. 
    Totally pointless. And if you have read the book by Scott Turow and watched the movie with Harrison Ford and Greta Scatchi you would know...
    What in the hell are they going to come up with to create a new season? Let's hope that it is not based on Scott Turow's later books. They have been plainly awful. Churning the same characters through the same county on an utterly forgettable plots. 

I can't imagine Rusty Sabich is going to have another affair in which he is implicated killing the lover. Oh wait, his wife has an affair with the barman from the tele series - which btw was not in the original book or movie - she gets pregnant. We already know that Rusty has a violent temper. He finds out about the affair and that his wife is pregnant with the baby from the barman, goes into a vengeful killing spree and wipes out the barman and the wife. Because the latter two are black and Rusty is white he is accused of murder with the added component that it a racially-motivated killing. It spurs the Chicago South Side to at first peacefully demonstrate then to launch violent rampages throughout Chicago, burning, looting - you know like Watts. 

But wait Rusty, while guilty as hell, hires a dream team - like OJ - and get away with killing the wife and the barman. 

Don't call it Presumed Innocent instead call it Innocent? Yeah Right! 

edited July 15 ForumPost
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Pema said:
    Totally pointless. And if you have read the book by Scott Turow and watched the movie with Harrison Ford and Greta Scatchi you would know...
    Didn't see that movie but did catch the one with Greta Scacchi ;)
    edited July 15 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    PemaPema Posts: 83member
    Pema said:
    Totally pointless. And if you have read the book by Scott Turow and watched the movie with Harrison Ford and Greta Scatchi you would know that he is acquitted on a technicality and the wife did it. Which was an excellent ending.

Didn't see that movie but did catch the one with Greta Scacchi ;)

Give me a break. Scacchi, Scatchi. Tomato, Tomato-e. I am an Anglo not that familiar with foreign names.  :#
    ForumPost
  • Reply 6 of 13
    XedXed Posts: 2,732member
    Pema said:
    clexman said:
    What in the hell are they going to come up with to create a new season? Let's hope that it is not based on Scott Turow's later books. They have been plainly awful. Churning the same characters through the same county on an utterly forgettable plots. 

I can't imagine Rusty Sabich is going to have another affair in which he is implicated killing the lover. Oh wait, his wife has an affair with the barman from the tele series - which btw was not in the original book or movie - she gets pregnant. We already know that Rusty has a violent temper. He finds out about the affair and that his wife is pregnant with the baby from the barman, goes into a vengeful killing spree and wipes out the barman and the wife. Because the latter two are black and Rusty is white he is accused of murder with the added component that it a racially-motivated killing. It spurs the Chicago South Side to at first peacefully demonstrate then to launch violent rampages throughout Chicago, burning, looting - you know like Watts. 

But wait Rusty, while guilty as hell, hires a dream team - like OJ - and get away with killing the wife and the barman. 

Did you just spoil the ending?
    edited July 15 macguiSpitbath
  • Reply 7 of 13
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    Xed said:
    Pema said:
    clexman said:
    Totally pointless. And if you have read the book by Scott Turow and watched the movie with Harrison Ford and Greta Scatchi you would know that he is acquitted on a technicality and the wife did it. Which was an excellent ending. 

Clexman didn’t, but Pema did. 

macguiSpitbath
  • Reply 8 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,660member
    Pema said:
    clexman said:
    And if you have read the book by Scott Turow... you would know that he is acquitted on a technicality and ----<spoiler>---- did it. 
    Wow, nice twist. I was suspecting that the DA or more likely the ADA did it. Now I'm going to have to rewatch the series.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 703member
    It's called Twitter.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,970member
    Pema said:
    clexman said:

Thanks for spoiling the story man, JFC
    edited July 15
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bageljoey said:
    Xed said:
    Pema said:
    clexman said:

Clexman didn’t, but Pema did
    thanks a forking lot, man 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    (AI edited out the spoiler from Pema’s harebrained post that revealed the ending, thankfully)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    XedXed Posts: 2,732member
    (AI edited out the spoiler from Pema’s harebrained post that revealed the ending, thankfully)
    I flagged his comment a couple days ago. I've never flagged anyone that wasn't trolling or spamming, but this was a special case. Unfortunately I can't unread what I read, but I'm glad others will be able to enjoy the series.
    watto_cobra