Apple News ads may get much worse with new Taboola deal

Posted:
in iOS

Brace yourself for wildly over-the-top clickbait adverts in Apple News and the Apple Stocks app, as Apple hands over placing ads to the chumbox firm, Taboola.

iPhone screen displaying various magazine covers under the title Apple News+ Magazines.
Apple News may feature more ads under a new deal with Taboola

Internet services need advertising to survive, and that's true even for Apple, which famously makes most of its income from iPhones and Macs. Consequently, Apple has an ad sales business, and in fact that has benefitted from how its privacy rules hinder rivals.

As part of its apparent moves to grow that business, though, Axios says that Apple has agreed a deal with Taboola. This firm is best known for what are called chumbox ads, where a trio of images and clickbait headlines often sit at the end of an article.

It's not clear whether the deal with Taboola is exclusive. It's possible that the deal may instead be the common practice where a firm such as Apple sells ads itself but then uses another such firm to fill in any gaps.

Whether it tops up Apple's ad sales or entirely runs the ads on both Apple News and Apple Stocks, any one advert will usually be run without Apple having to approve it. Instead, Apple is hopefully likely to use the chumbox firm's Taboola Select program for large companies, which limits ads to what are deemed to be premium publishers.

This deal currently covers adverts in Apple News and the Stocks app, but it's only part of Apple's expanding advertising business. As well as examining ads on Apple TV+, the company has reportedly been looking at how to use AI to optimize ads on the App Store.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,435member
    I already don't use News. 

By all means leverage that AI smartness to optimize yourself right out of $400+ dollars per year from my family.
  • Reply 2 of 10

I absolutely despise these ads and use paid ad blockers specifically because of their ads. I really hope Apple doesn't ruin their products by going down this path. Aside from the fact that I am a paid subscriber to Apple News, Taboola ads are gross and never reflect the product / service depicted. They are gross clickbait at best and it's too bad people click on them.  So glad Safari has reader view for crap like this. 

robin huberdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,010member
    Paid AppleNews should be ad free. 
    DAalsethelijahgdewmeForumPostbonobobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,435member

I absolutely despise these ads and use paid ad blockers specifically because of their ads. I really hope Apple doesn't ruin their products by going down this path. Aside from the fact that I am a paid subscriber to Apple News, Taboola ads are gross and never reflect the product / service depicted. They are gross clickbait at best and it's too bad people click on them.  So glad Safari has reader view for crap like this. 

First post. Welcome to AI! 
    nubuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 770member
    I already don't use News. 

By all means leverage that AI smartness to optimize yourself right out of $400+ dollars per year from my family.
    Was this meant to be funny? Because I actually LOL’d. Well played. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,808member
    These ads really piss me off as an Apple News+ subscriber, especially the full-screen ones you get flicking between stories. I already dish out a premium for the phone and a premium for the subscription, but despite that, still ads. In fact it pissed me off so much that I am no longer an Apple News+ subscriber, which meant Apple One wasn't worth it, either. So Apple goes from getting £37 per month to £14 for Apple Music only, just so they can get a couple of cents from some shitty ads I never click on out of principle. Good job Tim.
    dewmebonobob
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I’ve long felt that Apple and their privacy first stance should just stay out of the advertising business. The revenue is just not worth the antitrust attention it draws. 
    sconosciutoelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Apple should stay out of this IMO.

Things are going to get ugly.
    ForumPostsconosciutoelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 390member
    I would have dropped Apple News if AdGuard DNS weren’t so good at removing ads from the feeds. 
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 671member
    With news like this I'm ever more thankful Apple News still isn't available in my country.