Hands on with new iPad magnetic charging stands

Posted:
in iPad edited July 18

The iPad Pro and iPad Air lineups have Smart Connectors, which third-party accessory makers can use to charge the iPad while attached to magnetic stands. Here are some of the best iPad stands.

A group of three magnetic iPad charging stands, each with different designs
iPad magnetic charging stand roundup

Magnetic stands for iPads are nothing new. Third-party accessory makers have offered a variety of stands, cases, and keyboards that utilize iPad's built-in magnets -- especially in iPad Air and iPad Pro models.

However, these stands could never provide power to the iPad while it was charging until now. Accessory makers like Kuxiu and Lululook have figured out how to use Apple's keyboard integration with the Smart Connector to access the desired power passthrough option.

It is a simple trick that causes the iPad to see the stand as a connected smart keyboard. Like Apple's Magic Keyboard Case, the iPad can draw power from the Smart Connector "wirelessly" while magnetically attached to a stand.

Users connecting their iPad to such a stand will see a system prompt for adding a Chinese keyboard. Ignore the prompt, and everything will work as expected.

Here are the stands AppleInsider has tried with the magnetic charging function. The Kuxiu models can be found sometimes discounted on Amazon.

Kuxiu X36 Pro Max iPad Magnetic Charging Stand

The Kuxiu X36 Pro Max iPad Magnetic Charging Stand is identical to the non-charging counterpart that preceded it. Everything we covered in the non-charging unit review applies here.

iPad Pro attached to a magnetic stand that is a long foldable arm
Hold your iPad high with a sturdy foldable magnetic charging stand

Despite the joints still being a bit stiff and needing two hands to perform more extreme adjustments, it is a good-looking iPad stand. The iPad Pro or iPad Air is suspended in the air without noticeable wobble.

The one repeat complaint you'll see from these current charging stands is the lack of cable management. The issue is mitigated somewhat by the X36 having hollow arms to pass the cable through, and adhesive cable holders are included in the packaging.

For those using an iPad Pro as a desktop computer connected to a monitor, you'll likely not take advantage of the charging option too often. However, if you switch between an iPad and Mac using the same cable, know that your iPad will stay charged even when not running on the monitor since the Kuxiu X36 always provides power.

The back of the iPad Pro foldable charging stand with a cable connected
Charge iPad Pro automatically once it is magnetically connected

The Kuxiu X36 was already an excellent iPad stand. It is made even better with the addition of power passed through the Smart Connector.

Buy at Amazon

Note that the magnets in any of these iPad stands align to specific iPads. You'll need to make sure to order the correct model, be it for the M4 iPad Pro, M2 iPad Air, or previous generation 11-inch iPad Pro.

Get the Kuxiu X36 Pro Max iPad Magnetic Charging Stand from the Kuxiu website for $111.99, marked down from $139.99. Get it on Amazon for a discounted $119.98 with the on-page coupon (13-inch M4 model linked, be sure to choose your model).

Lululook 360 Rotating Foldable Magnetic iPad Charging Stand

Lululook has an interesting rotating magnetic charging stand. It has a rotating base, a height-adjustable arm, and a rotatable iPad mount.

An iPad Pro in the Lululook stand with a keyboard in front of
The Lululook 360 rotatable magnetic iPad charging stand

Like in the other magnetic charging stands in this roundup, there is a USB-C port in the back of the magnetic mount to provide power to the iPad through the Smart Connector. There isn't any kind of cable management, and the 360-degree rotation is restricted with a cable connected.

Once you've chosen the iPad's tilt, angle, and height, you can freely rotate the base with one hand. It is versatile in that it can fit into any space and showcase the iPad display to one or multiple users thanks to its simple rotating mechanism.

Fold the stand up to slip it into a bag for travel. Take it out anywhere, like your favorite coffee shop, to work from an iPad like it's a tiny iMac. It could also function as a small payment kiosk.

The joints are easily manipulated with both hands but stiff enough to keep the iPad upright without issue. There is no need to worry about sag or balance except at the most extreme angles.

The back of the rotatable iPad stand with a cable connected
Attaching a cable to a rotating stand takes away from the utility slightly

The Lululook 360 Rotating Foldable Magnetic iPad Charging Stand is an excellent evolution of the iPad stand. It is both well-designed and functional.

Buy at Amazon

Choose the model for your iPad and pay only $129.99 on the Lululook website, down from $199.99. Cut the price even further on Amazon -- get it for $99.99 with the on-page coupon (13-inch M4 model linked, be sure to choose your model).

Kuxiu has a basically identical option called the Kuxiu X44 Pro Max iPad Magnetic Charging Stand at a discounted $109.99 on its website.

Kuxiu X33 Pro Max iPad Magnetic Charging Stand

If you're looking for a more traditional magnetic iPad stand, then the Kuxiu X33 Pro Max is a great option. It has two hinges with a large foot, which makes the iPad look similar to a tiny iMac when standing up.

The iPad is in portrait orientation in a magnetic stand
A traditional folding magnetic iPad stand

The hinges can be adjusted so the iPad is standing tall in a monitor-like fashion, or it can be positioned low so the iPad is angled up from a desktop for drawing. Like the other stands in this roundup, it lacks any real cable management with a USB-C port in the back of the stand.

Buy on Amazon

The iPad can be rotated to portrait or landscape. And since the USB-C port on the iPad is free, it can stand vertically while charging without a cable getting in the way.

The Kuxiu X33 Pro Max iPad Magnetic Charging Stand is $95.99 on the Kuxiu website, down from $119.99. It is also being discounted with an on-screen coupon on Amazon, bringing its final price to $99.99.

A cable attached to the back of the foldable magnetic iPad stand
Charge the iPad through the Smart Connector

Same magnetic iPad stands, minus the charger

If you'd like to get one of these iPad stands but don't want to pay the premium for the charging, that is still an option. Every one of these stands can be purchased at a lower price, usually at a discount.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 832member
    Still, nowhere near as nice as the Logitech Base Wireless Charging for the iPad 10.5 inch.

Why is Apple so opposed to wireless charging of iPads?
    dewme
  • Reply 2 of 4
    BB92647BB92647 Posts: 9member
    sflagel said:
    Still, nowhere near as nice as the Logitech Base Wireless Charging for the iPad 10.5 inch.

Why is Apple so opposed to wireless charging of iPads?
    I agree. The charging pins were/are a huge missed opportunity for companies. As it is, we mostly need the obnoxious large dongle to connect a peripheral and charge. As a (part time) musician, the availability of the Thunderbolt port to an hardware interface would be much more stealthy. I own the non charging Kuxiu arm (using it as I type this) and it’s been mostly excellent. I just wish the plates were removable so you can buy ONLY the plate as you upgrade iPads.  
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lewklewk Posts: 27member
    This sounded like a pretty good idea when I first started reading the article, but as I got thinking about how I use my iPads, I realized that none of these would really work for me.  The newest iPad I have is a small M4 iPad Pro.  I use it almost exclusively for reading ebooks.  The others are older (only one can even be updated anymore) and in cases for portable use.  The fact is that with the way I use the M4 iPad, I can often go two days without charging it.  I read a lot, but not enough to really run it down to 50% in a day!

I've been using an XFLEX stand for years just to hold my iPad while I read.  It has a rubberized metal base and an 18" long gooseneck which can connect on either the long or short axis and magnets help keep it in place.  It uses one of the sticky suction cup things to hold it which can make it a pain to take it off.  But since I seldom take it off, that isn't an issue for me.  It would be nice if I could charge it as well but there just really isn't a need to.  The real advantage for me with the base I have  is of being able to use it on a table, slide it between the arm and cushion of an easy chair or put a 10 pound sandbag on the base and extend it over the water in my hot tub.  it's really hand to have it held just in the right place that I can sit in my recliner or lie in the hot tub with it perfectly positioned so I can just tap to change pages. :smiley: 

Unfortunately, I don't believe the XFLEX is made anymore.
    edited July 22
  • Reply 4 of 4
    lewk said:
     The newest iPad I have is a small M4 iPad Pro.  I use it almost exclusively for reading ebooks. 
    You bought an M4 iPad Pro just to read ebooks?! Really! 😳