Apple Intelligence wasn't trained on stolen YouTube videos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 18

Apple has refuted using unethically obtained data to train Apple Intelligence -- but it has acknowledged its use for another project.

Colorful looped atom-like symbol with glowing, multicolored orb center on a black background.
Apple Intelligence
On Tuesday,

it was learned that an AI research lab called EleutherAI had harvested subtitles from YouTube videos without express permission from the creators. It also gathered data from Wikipedia, the British Parliament, and Enron staff emails. The data was then added to a dataset called "the Pile."

EleutherAI notes that its goal was to lower the barrier to AI development for those outside Big Tech. However, companies such as Nvidia, Salesforce, and Apple have all used the Pile to train various AI projects.

Now, Apple has spoken out, saying that while it had used the Pile, the dataset was not used for Apple Intelligence. Instead, it was used to train its open-source OpenELM models, which it released in April.

Apple has since confirmed to AppleInsider that OpenELM models don't power any of its AI or machine learning features. Instead, the tech giant claims that it created OpenELM to contribute to the research community.

It also notes that OpenELM models were never intended to be used for Apple Intelligence. It also says it has no plans to build any new versions of the OpenELM model.

Apple has repeatedly claimed that its sources for its artificial intelligence projects are ethical, and it's known to have paid millions to publishers, and licensed images from photo library firms.

Read on AppleInsider

williamlondon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    maccamacca Posts: 27member
    Correction England doesn’t have a Parliament. Its the British Parliament
    wdowellwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 234member
    So that’s all ok then as they didn’t use it one thing but on another ? 😂 

(in all honestly , I don’t have  problem with scraping the internet -  and the terms of YouTube doesn’t mean that it makes it illegal - but to somehow say it’s any more ok  because it wasn’t used for Apple Intelligence but instead another  is just comical) 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 14
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 234member
    macca said:
    It’s not British Parliament - it’s UK parliament - (Northern Ireland..  ) https://www.parliament.uk/
    edited July 18 sphericOnPartyBusinesswilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 14
    wdowell said:
    So that’s all ok then as they didn’t use it one thing but on another ? ߘ⦡mp;nbsp;

(in all honestly , I don’t have  problem with scraping the internet -  and the terms of YouTube doesn’t mean that it makes it illegal - but to somehow say it’s any more ok  because it wasn’t used for Apple Intelligence but instead another  is just comical) 
    The claim that Apple is responding to is that they used it in Apple Intelligence, So they were responding to a very specific claim. 

And while you may see it as comical, how you use things does matter legally. For example I can sit around making videos using other people’s footage and music as long as it is for private use. If do the same thing for commercial use it is an entirely different thing. Apple didn’t release this as a commercial product and the license excludes use as a commercial product. That keeps it on the correct side of YouTubes terms. 

So, yeah … how you use things does in fact matter.
    edited July 18 radarthekatAlex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    wdowell said:
    So that’s all ok then as they didn’t use it one thing but on another ? ߘ⦡mp;nbsp;

... but to somehow say it’s any more ok  because it wasn’t used for Apple Intelligence but instead another  is just comical) 
    Actually it does under copyright law. Copyright protections are not absolute, nor were they meant to be since they eventually expire.

But before expiration, Fair Use Doctrine must be taken into account for socially beneficial activities such as teaching, learning, and scholarship [research].

Copyright and Fair Use

https://guides.lib.uci.edu/copyright/copyright_how_to_use

Introduction

The Fair Use Doctrine protects the use of copyrighted works for socially beneficial activities such as teaching, learning, and scholarship. Courts consider four factors in deciding whether a use is Fair Use or an infringement:

1. Purpose of the Use (learning, commentary, criticism OR commercial);
    2. Nature of the Publication (factual OR creative);
    3. Amount and Substantiality of the Whole (small OR substantial);
    4. Effect on the Market (has no effect OR replaces a sale).

Does copyright protect data?

Copyright law is, for good or for ill, an increasing concern for academics in their work. One area receiving particular attention is the copyright status of data and data representations. The Copyright Act and relevant case law are clear on copyright protection for data in the United States: there is none. This excellent site on the Copyrightability of Charts, Tables, and Graphs from the University of Michigan explains why.

edited July 18 Alex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,926member
    Ah, the Robin Hood defense. “We gave it away so that makes it a good thing.”
    Passing on stolen property is still unethical. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 14
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,494member
    I learn from the internet and apply it to my work. It’s how everyone learns nowadays, so I don’t see anything wrong with ai learning from it too. 
    radarthekatcommentzillawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 146member
    So there you Go Apple, OpenAI was also accused of using YouTube video w/o permission for training. 
    Apple be using OpenAi?? then Apple will be using stolen AI too. Right?? Just curios  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 14
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 146member
    I learn from the internet and apply it to my work. It’s how everyone learns nowadays, so I don’t see anything wrong with ai learning from it too. 
    Provided your acknowledging where you get it from internet, thats ethical in my book, hmmm
  • Reply 10 of 14
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,891moderator
    jfabula1 said:
    So there you Go Apple, OpenAI was also accused of using YouTube video w/o permission for training. 
    Apple be using OpenAi?? then Apple will be using stolen AI too. Right?? Just curios  
    Apple will ask the user if he wants to effectively jump out to OpenAI in contexts where it will be employed from within iOS.  It’s up to the user to engage with OpenAI-generated content.  Just like if you are installed the ChatGPT app on your phone.  Apple is simply making it more convenient to access ChatGPT and integrate the results into your workflow.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,082member
    When this is all said and done, I don’t see any other company making any public statements denying public usage. And, by making such a public statement, apple opens itself to paying any sort of damages (of course, to be determined in the courts). They have the money to pay. 

To the rest of you, keep your panties on and stop losing your shit. There are more important things going on in the world to be upset about. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,891moderator
    jfabula1 said:
    Provided your acknowledging where you get it from internet, thats ethical in my book, hmmm
    If I watch a bunch of YouTube videos about dark matter and then I use what I learned to discuss dark matter with a friend or colleague, must I cite each and every YouTube video I learned from?  As long as I don’t plagiarize their work, I should be freely allowed to communicate and pass on my new knowledge and any insights derived from that new knowledge. 
    danoxnetroxjibFidonet127bloggerblogAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    sloaahsloaah Posts: 28member
    wdowell said:
    macca said:
    It’s not British Parliament - it’s UK parliament - (Northern Ireland..  ) https://www.parliament.uk/
    The majority of Northern Irish (ie non-republicans) would describe themselves as British, so colloquially it’s fine to say the British Parliament. After all, the island of Ireland is part of the British Isles. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,670member
    sloaah said:
    wdowell said:
    macca said:
    The majority of Northern Irish (ie non-republicans) would describe themselves as British, so colloquially it’s fine to say the British Parliament. After all, the island of Ireland is part of the British Isles. 
    The word "British" is inaccurate because not all of the British Isles are part of the United Kingdom. That's like Americans who call their country "America" when "America" includes Mexico, Canada and Brazil, and the term "America" isn't the name of the United States in its own constitution.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra