Party's over: Apple tries to shrink costs of Apple TV+ productions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,229member
    Content is a low margin enterprise except for those at the top (management) aren't you glad Apple didn't waste billions of dollars buying a movie studio (which resell to a new sucker every ten years) or game companies (Microsofts 69 billion down drain)? The only thing worth buying in the gaming industry is the Unreal Gaming Engine and Sweeney Todd will never sell to Apple, barring that creating a gaming engine over time is the only way (to be at the top of the pyramid in gaming).

Being at top of the pyramid in tech always takes time hard work with plenty of research and development with no short cuts, Apple should stick to that it is more profitable. However too bad Apple didn't recognize the true value of a (OS/gaming engine) twenty years ago. Unreal Gaming Engine is that good created by a mad genius......

Also see the fiasco that is Amazon Alexa, Apple was also right to stay back in that low margin 25-50 dollar speaker boondoggle.
    edited July 23 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    6ryph3n6ryph3n Posts: 58member
    Apple has some great shows, they’ve just struggled to find big attention grabbers that stand out in the flood of content. They’re still my first go-to for content thanks to series like For All Mankind and Ted Lasso, but they probably would do well to get hold of a major book or game franchise that’s already well established just to get people to take notice. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    kjespoko said:
    I may be in the minority here, but I can’t stand the language in these shows. The use of the f-word has gotten out of control. Sometimes I feel that the writers just force it in. Put less TV-M and I’d watch a lot more! 
    That’s fucking crazy
    avon b7tmay
  • Reply 24 of 27
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,254member
    Brings to mind the penguin scene in The Blues Brothers.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    entropys said:

Oh, and if based on a book. Respect the source.  No additional preaching inconsistent with the story.  Look a the failure of The Willow series on Disney, or prime LOTR.
    Willow was based on a book?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    entropys said:
    perhaps Follet’s The Pillars of the Earth would make a great short series and hasn’t been done.
    Huh?

https://www.amazon.com/The-Pillars-Of-Earth/dp/B06XRXGK1H#:~:text=Watch The Pillars Of The Earth | Prime Video
  • Reply 27 of 27
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Apple TV+ was introduced in November of 2019.

$20B for essentially 5 years of buying existing films, and producing new films and series, doesn't seem excessive for the launch of a completely new streaming service. 

The only important issue is that Apple attempt to maintain high standards, like the HBO of old, whatever the budget going forward.

It is also the case that Apple continues to lean towards SciFi, for a key Apple demographic, a niche that Apple has been particularly good at.
    watto_cobra