Top 100 chart debuts on Apple Music Classical

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV

Apple Music Classical is now curating a top 100 chart compiled weekly from listening figures across more than 165 countries.

Smartphone screen displaying Classical Top 100 playlist with titles by Bach and Brahms, battery at 71%, and a share icon.
The new Apple Music Classical Top 100 on an iPhone

It's sixteen months since Apple launched the Apple Music Classical app for iOS, and since then it's been expanding its availability around the world. Now, it's launching a new chart that uses data from all those countries to compile one definitive top 100 list.

"Apple Music Classical has been a huge hit with classical fans around the world," said Oliver Schusser, Apple's vice president of Apple Music and Beats. "With the launch of Apple Classical Top 100 and the recently announced new partnerships, the app is transforming the world of classical."

The new top 100 chart is updated on Mondays and can be found in the Apple Music Classical app or on Apple's chart website. It's compiled from five sources that use listening figures from what Apple says is over 165 countries. The sources are:

• Apple Music Classical streams

• Apple Music streams

• iTunes downloads

• iTunes song sales

• Shazam tags

Apple claims that this range of sources from this range of countries makes Apple Music Classical Top 100 "the most comprehensive and representative chart available."

The inaugural chart is topped by "Bach: Keyboard Concertos with Chinese pianist Tianqi Du and the Academy of St Martins in the Fields," conducted by Jonathan Bloxham.

"I'm deeply honored for my latest album to be top of the first Apple Classical 100 chart," said Du. "These concertos are a vibrant showcase of Bach's energy and spirit, bursting with emotional richness and expressive depth."

"I am sincerely grateful for the fantastic platform Apple Music Classical provides," continued Du, "helping us musicians connect with classical music lovers globally."

Apple Music Classical is a separate app from the main Apple Music one. However, it requires a subscription to Apple Music.

The new classical top 100 follows the company's best 100 albums in pop and rock. That list, though, was a one-off selection chosen by experts instead of being data-driven.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    zenwaveszenwaves Posts: 93member
    Why don't they have an AppleTV app for Classical yet?

Swiping and clicking through the music app on the TV to try to get to Classical is a nightmare,
    applecoredjeffharrisunbeliever2
  • Reply 2 of 2
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,478member
    zenwaves said:
    Why don't they have an AppleTV app for Classical yet?

Swiping and clicking through the music app on the TV to try to get to Classical is a nightmare,
    Excellent suggestion!

This chart idea for Apple Classical is a great one. I’m guilty of underusing the service because I’m overwhelmed by the sheer volume of possible selections to choose from. I’m excited to hear this new album from Tianqi Du, whom I confess I’ve never heard of, and their collaboration with the ever-reliable, ever-excellent Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.