Apple's iPhone Fold could now launch in 2026

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 23

A new industry report claims that Apple's iPhone Fold is now set to arrive sooner than expected, with the iPhone 18 range.

A render of an iPhone Fold
A render of an iPhone Fold

Reports of Apple producing a foldable iPhone have persisted for years, and for at least as long as its rivals have had ones. Most recently, there have been reports of two different designs of a folding iPhone being considered, and that a launch won't be until 2027.

According to Digitimes, however, Apple may have chosen its design, and that overall timescale may be accelerating. Based on various Korean media outlets, the report claims that Apple formally began research in 2004, which is when it also signed a contract with Samsung.

Presuming Apple has a typical two-year product development cycle, the report predicts that the iPhone fold will launch in 2026.

Note, though, that while Digitimes has a strong track record for information from the supply chain, it did not get this detail from its own sources. Furthermore, the publication has a substantially poorer record in the conclusions it makes from its information.

However, a second report from The Information corroborates the detail in the Digitimes account. It adds that Apple has given the folding iPhone a codename of "v68," but otherwise supports the two-year timeframe, and the iPhone's basic design.

That design is said to be a top-down one, like the Samsung Galaxy Flip. So when held in portrait, the top half will fold down over the bottom half.

Rather than being like a book that opens out into a wider screen, then, it will be a regular-size iPhone that folds in half. The report also specifies that the dimensions will be approximately the same as for current iPhones.

There's no indication of whether the exterior of the iPhone fold will also have a screen, as has been previously predicted. It's also been previously reported that Apple will try out its folding design with an iPad mini, but the new report claims that Apple now wants to produce the iPhone fold first.

The Information also speculates that the rumored slimmer iPhone design may be a factor in Apple's plans. That's based on the idea that a regular iPhone folded over in the middle would present a chassis twice the width, so being able to make a slimmer one would be a benefit.

This rumor is getting a possible score if only because it has remained possible for Apple to introduce an iPhone Fold at any point in the past five years. A foldable iPhone is clearly in development at the company, but whether it will be released in 2026 if ever, is anyone's guess, but it is possible.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

muthuk_vanalingam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 566member

That design is said to be a top-down one, like the Samsung Galaxy Flop. So when held in portrait, the top half will fold down over the bottom half.

Read on AppleInsider

The Samsung Flop hahahaha
    edited July 23 avon b7apple4thewinpulseimagesradarthekatjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Anilu_777 said:

That design is said to be a top-down one, like the Samsung Galaxy Flop. So when held in portrait, the top half will fold down over the bottom half.

Read on AppleInsider

The Samsung Flop hahahaha
    😂🤣 you beat me to it!
    edited July 23 pulseimagesradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 230member, administrator, moderator, editor
    Some typos are just freudian slips.
    avon b7apple4thewinmike1radarthekatbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,082member
    I can’t imagine a use case for a foldable phone.
    radarthekatjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,891moderator
    Two separate screens, requiring incredible precision in the hinge and in a brush that cleans each edge before they come together.  Anything less is a compromise over the ion-strengthened screen glass used today.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    longfanglongfang Posts: 501member
    mac_dog said:
    Flicking it open like Captain Kirk?
    It did eventually kill the hinge on my friend’s star-tec after a couple months though. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,297member
    mac_dog said:
    Then you have an extremely limited imagination. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 14
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,938member
    mac_dog said:
    Well, get ready. A folding phone with two hinges (three panes) is coming in a couple of months.

Main use case (and most obvious) is having double the screen space on demand while retaining a compact form factor when not using that extra space.

If you're editing photos, reading, writing emails or whatever on your regular phone, and I said you could do it on the same device but with double the screen space, would you turn that option down? 

You can use the main cameras for selfies. For portrait shots, the the subjects can see themselves for posing, hair tweaks etc. 

True multiscreen multitasking. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 14
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 821member
    longfang said:
    mac_dog said:
    Flicking it open like Captain Kirk?
    It did eventually kill the hinge on my friend’s star-tec after a couple months though. 
    Scotty, 3 to beam up!

There’s no way I go back to a flip phone. I had one of those trendy at the time Motorola units. Talk about inconvenient. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 821member

mac_dog said:
    Then you have an extremely limited imagination. 
    Did you ever have a flip phone? A pain to use. 
    Some people liked them. Not me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,120member
    We've been over this already. There are no use cases for this beyond the novelty of it, which wears off quickly. The compromises and added expense required to implement that novelty feature are extensive. That is not how Apple works. 

This is not going to happen.
    charlesngeekmeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,007member
    AppleZulu said:
    We've been over this already. There are no use cases for this beyond the novelty of it, which wears off quickly. The compromises and added expense required to implement that novelty feature are extensive. That is not how Apple works. 

This is not going to happen.
    Exactly. Five years after Samsung introduced the Galaxy Fold, folding phones remain an expensive, super niche product. A folding iPhone would not be additive to sales, it would simply cannibalize some small percentage of Pro and Pro Max sales and never pay off on the investment needed to bring an Apple-quality folding screen to market. It's a solution in search of a problem, a novelty that lacks need or want. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 645member
    Remind me?….
    What problems does this solve??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I thought that the Galaxy Flip would be a good idea, but I guess the market thought otherwise.  Being an iPhone user, I expected Apple to make a folding iPhone that would have the form factor of an iPhone when opened, and would flip down vertically to be half the size.  With a small outside screen for quick viewing of things without opening the flip. But the reality is that it would just make using the device more of a hassle.

I have some coworkers who have the Galaxy Fold, and one who has the Google Pixel Fold.  The people with the Galaxy Fold talk about a variety of longevity issues, including screen cracking at the fold, or the sound not working when the phone is flipped open.  And when I watch them use the device, much of the time they don't open it up and just use the outside screen.

It is interesting that the smartphone market has matured to the point where it is no longer necessary to replace the device annually because the new smartphone has such incredible leaps in technology and features.  So now they need to come up with new and quirky form factors to diversify the device selection and cater to a few more niche buyers?  I don't know what the stats are for folding smartphone sales, but based on the numbers of them I see in the wild, I imagine the numbers are quite low compared to traditional smartphones.

So if Apple finally succumbs to having a "me too" folding iPhone, it will likely be too expensive, will not sell in sufficient quantities, and will be cancelled after a year.
    edited July 28 watto_cobra