Apple reaches agreement with unionized Maryland Apple Store workers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 677member
    There is no need/want of them in a modern civilization with safety and health standards cheap and in place.  A work environment of transparency, opportunity, and incentive will always be more satisfying in the long term to the dedicated than mob rule and chaos. 
    Let's hope America will get that this century.
    nubus
  • Reply 22 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,230member
    chasm said:
    red oak said:
    They will be last to receive any new benefits or pay enhancements Apple Retail unilaterally rolls out to all the stores 

They will now need to transactionally ask and negotiate for every-single-thing  

You should try reading the last paragraph of the article.

Such an action is illegal.
    No it’s not. 

You should reread the last paragraph  it mentions interrogations about certain matters are illegal. 

There is no rule that forces Apple to award everyone the same thing at the same time. 

Basically if a little bully group was put together to push for things, they’ll have to live by that new mantra. What they would have gotten automatically will now be a different story. Nothing official of course, but that’s how these things go. 

As stated many times before - unions suck. The only person usually winning out in the end is the organizer collecting the dues/protection fees, whatever the mob  boss wants to call it. 
    Unionized Fire Sprinkler Fitters, HVAC Tin Knockers, and Unionized Plumbers would disagree. Note when each one of these particular workers retire they actually will have something for retirement, a pension and healthcare, also note upfront, they all have an apprenticeship program in place to help them learn their craft at the start of their careers, the nonunion construction worker (Home Depot handyman) will have nothing no training no benefits and a low intermittent salary.

It’s not the end of the world if those working in the trenches, make a little bit more money and have a few more benefits, Apple spending a little bit more money on their employees won’t impact the massive stock buybacks that Apple has done over the last 10-14 years, a long Apple investor…..
    edited July 29 muthuk_vanalingamronngatorguymacike
  • Reply 23 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,230member
    jdw said:
    So much arguing in this thread that I refuse to read all prior posts.  

I simply want to know one thing...  Super simple...

Was it really THAT bad before they unionized?

If it was, God help folks who work at lesser places like McDonald's.  My understanding has always been that Apple employees, even at lesser trafficked stores, fair quite a bit better than other retail workers (outside Apple).  We're talking about retail store workers, not engineers or software coders and the like.
    McDonald’s is not an In-N-Out Burger who operates on a more old-fashioned business scheme (non-franchise). you don’t expand unless you actually own the place in which you’re building your store and you don’t lease and rent/mortgage at all opportunities, fast food outfits have killed themselves nationwide by leasing and renting everything they have up front in short they have been taken over by the equity companies/banks see Carl Karcher (Carl’s Jr. ) or Dave of Wendy’s fame about what happened to their business when they let equity firms get into management at their companies basically did themselves in, which had nothing to do with the workers just bad management decisions.
    ronn
  • Reply 24 of 25
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 402member
    This is an old story but when it first came out, I looked into the customer ratings for that particular store and it was one of the lowest (3.5) with over 1500 reviews I have seen for Apple stores. Compare that to Grand Central in New York with 4.3 and over 4,700 reviews. We have a low score for our local store here as well and you 'feel' it when you go into the store, knowing that your problem will likely not get solved. The managers and staff at stores have a lot of discretion in handling issues and there is for sure an environment at each. I would say that unionization at Towson is a symptom of unhappy employees for whatever reason and not a cure for the low customer satisfaction there.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,492member
     I would say that unionization at Towson is a symptom of unhappy employees for whatever reason and not a cure for the low customer satisfaction there.
    I can tell you from direct experience as an employee and as a manager that happy employees are a KEY component for happy customers. Now that this dispute has been settled, let's check back in a year and see if that store's two-star rating on Yelp (only 200 reviews, to be fair) has improved.
    ronn