Apple Intelligence features will probably wait until iOS 18.1

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 29
Apple Intelligence, the company's suite of AI-based enhancements, are probably not going to arrive with iOS 18, and will probably arrive starting in iOS 18.1

A hand holds an iPhone displaying app icons and a notification about a lunch reservation at Waterbar in San Francisco.
iOS 18 is coming soon, but Apple Intelligence will roll out across several months.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, quoting unnamed
sources, reports that the core iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 will still launch as promised in September 2024. The report claims that the first of the Apple Intelligence features, won't begin to arrive until October -- likely as part of a version 18.1 update.

Apple Intelligence includes new features such as intelligent notification management, summarizing abilities for both voice messages and text, new writing tools, ChatGPT integration, an improved Siri assistant, and more.

Coming Soon: iOS 18 and iPadOS 18

The releases of iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 will arrive as planned for a wide variety of older and new devices. Compatibility with iOS 18 stretches back as far as the 2018 iPhone XR and later models.

The 2018 iPad Pro models are compatible with iPadOS 18. In addition, iPad Air and iPad mini models from 2019 and later, and 2020 or later iPad models are also compatible.

Delaying the rollout of Apple Intelligence, which won't run on any devices prior to the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max, will give developers more time to incorporate Apple Intelligence features into their own apps. The move will also give Apple more time to fix any bugs found in the technology.

Coming later: Apple Intelligence

Apple has previously inferred that Apple Intelligence will not be part of the initial iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 launches. Apple Intelligence features are expected to debut in stages across the last quarter of 2024, and the rollout may stretch into early 2025.

Developers will start seeing new AI features in iOS 18.1 and iPadOS 18.1 betas arriving shortly. Testing of the new features is expected to take longer than usual, due to the relatively small number of currently-compatible devices.

Apple has treated iOS 18 and related updates and Apple Intelligence as two interlocking but separate technologies since its debut in June 2024 at the WWDC. During the initial presentation, the OS and the Apple Intelligence features were highlighted in two completely separate parts of the keynote, due to the high device requirements for the latter technology.

The delay would likely mean that initial shipments of the forthcoming iPhone 16 models will have iOS 18 on board, but also initally lack the Apple Intelligence features. Apple could choose to emphasize getting familiar with the iOS 18 features as a way of setting the stage for the later Apple Intelligence updates.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,431member
    Or you could have watched wwdc presentations on these topics and have concluded as much from all the “later this years”!

• Reply 2 of 13
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 262member
    Time to stop upgrading to any new version. I don’t want AI or AI service providers on my device.
    DAalsethwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,141member
    dutchlord said:
    Time to stop upgrading to any new version. I don’t want AI or AI service providers on my device.
    That's a pretty silly reason to stop upgrading.

Apple allows you to turn off practically every feature. Don't want to use cellular data? No problem. Don't want notifications? No problem. Don't want Location Services? No problem.

Heck, you are free to not use the camera. You are free to not use the calendar. You are free to not use Bluetooth, Apple Cash, Face ID, whatever. If you want, you can put it in Airplane Mode and just use it as an iPod touch. Heck, you are free to not even turn it on and just use it as a fine paperweight.

However at some point in the not too distant future, Apple will stop providing security patches for whatever version of iOS you are running. That alone makes upgrading a consideration if you use your device at all to connect to the Internet.

Best of luck.
    StrangeDaysmike1williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,507member
    mpantone said:
    dutchlord said:

Apple allows you to turn off practically every feature. Don't want to use cellular data? No problem. Don't want notifications? No problem. Don't want Location Services? No problem.

Heck, you are free to not use the camera. You are free to not use the calendar. You are free to not use Bluetooth, Apple Cash, Face ID, whatever. If you want, you can put it in Airplane Mode and just use it as an iPod touch. Heck, you are free to not even turn it on and just use it as a fine paperweight.

However at some point in the not too distant future, Apple will stop providing security patches for whatever version of iOS you are running. That alone makes upgrading a consideration if you use your device at all to connect to the Internet.

Best of luck.
    What I've noticed is with many iOS updates there are changes in privacy and data collection settings with some services, and the default is sometimes opt-in.  I will not be shocked if that's what happens with some of the upcoming Apple services. You will be opted in unless you actively choose otherwise.  Just be aware, which AppleInsider is generally pretty good about mentioning to us.
    edited July 29 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 13
    LettuceLettuce Posts: 23member
    Opt-in is a good thing. Don’t you mean opt-out? 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,938member
    dutchlord said:
    I will keep upgrading for the security patches. But I will be looking for how to kill most of these AI features, uninstall them if possible. There are a couple of them that could be thought of as improvements. Most though I do not want anywhere near my devices.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Lettuce said:
    Opt-in is a good thing. Don’t you mean opt-out? 
    It depends on what the service is. If it involves sharing data then the default should always be opt-out even if anonymized. Same with personalized ads, it should be automatic opt-out.  Funny you mention the confusion over opt-in and opt-out. Companies sometimes use unclear wording that leaves a user with the impression that they've turned something off when in truth they have turned it on. I know for a fact that, in the early days, Apple was guilty of this with the AppleTV and some intentionally confusing advertising and privacy settings.

I haven't looked that closely in quite a while, so Apple is probably now much better at clearly explaining the opt-in and out settings across all features and hardware.
    edited July 29 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 13
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,141member
    gatorguy said:
    mpantone said:
    dutchlord said:

Best of luck.
    What I've noticed is with many iOS updates there are changes in privacy and data collection settings with some services, and the default is sometimes opt-in.  I will not be shocked if that's what happens with some of the upcoming Apple services. You will be opted in unless you actively choose otherwise.  Just be aware, which AppleInsider is generally pretty good about mentioning to us.
    Indeed opt-in is the right way which is unsurprising from Apple given their strong emphasis on privacy and security. The customer must opt-in. By default, the functionality is *NOT* enabled. This is pretty much the same with all Apple OS initial configurations. You need to deliberately turn on the services.

Heck, even network connectivity is an opt-in. If you don't want to configure a network connection you are free to stay offline very easily for Macs, iPhones, and iPads from the initial setup (the "I don't have Internet" selection).

This means the average Joe can have a relatively secure offline device with minimal services without even reading AppleInsider (or any other Apple media site). Again, this all is made easy by Apple's heavy privacy and security emphasis.

Hell, Apple doesn't even force updates down users' throats. Remember that you need to accept the TOS for major upgrade. If you decline, your device will stay at the same software level. Remember that automatic OS updates can also be disabled in the settings. These days, I won't upgrade the OS until the week before Apple WWDC, nearly nine months after the major version is released. And I still must upgrade manually.
    edited July 29 StrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,005member
    dutchlord said:
    Cool cool have fun with Windows 95
    mike1williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mpantone said:
    gatorguy said:
    mpantone said:
    dutchlord said:

Best of luck.
    Indeed opt-in is the right way which is unsurprising from Apple given their strong emphasis on privacy and security. The customer must opt-in. By default, the functionality is *NOT* enabled. This is pretty much the same with all Apple OS initial configurations. You need to deliberately turn on the services.

Heck, even network connectivity is an opt-in. If you don't want to configure a network connection you are free to stay offline very easily for Macs, iPhones, and iPads from the initial setup (the "I don't have Internet" selection).

This means the average Joe can have a relatively secure offline device with minimal services without even reading AppleInsider (or any other Apple media site). Again, this all is made easy by Apple's heavy privacy and security emphasis.

Hell, Apple doesn't even force updates down users' throats. Remember that you need to accept the TOS for major upgrade. If you decline, your device will stay at the same software level. Remember that automatic OS updates can also be disabled in the settings. These days, I won't upgrade the OS until the week before Apple WWDC, nearly nine months after the major version is released. And I still must upgrade manually.
    According to some-who-supposedly-know, the upcoming "Apple Intelligence" features will be default opt-in. The customer will have to actively opt-out if they don't want them. Other sources are claiming just the opposite, and one I read shows some are and some aren't. We'll know what the actuality is when they ship. 

EDIT: This is one such article reporting on it:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/06/report-new-apple-intelligence-ai-features-will-be-opt-in-by-default/

edited July 29 dewme
  • Reply 11 of 13
    maltzmaltz Posts: 486member
    dutchlord said:

On your device is where you DO want AI.  All your private data is on there already anyway, so no difference there.  It's off-device AI that sends your stuff to the cloud that's a problem.  But even then, it's no worse than iCloud sync.

But if you're just anti-AI because it creeps you out (which I'm not one to judge... I was the same way until I started running models on my own hardware and experimenting...) just turn it off, like you can already do with Siri.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,479member
    gatorguy said:
    According to some-who-supposedly-know, the upcoming "Apple Intelligence" features will be default opt-in. The customer will have to actively opt-out if they don't want them. Other sources are claiming just the opposite, and one I read shows some are and some aren't. We'll know what the actuality is when they ship. 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/06/report-new-apple-intelligence-ai-features-will-be-opt-in-by-default/

You still don't seem to quite undertand what "opt-in" means. If the default requires the user to opt-in, that means they have to manually turn on Apple Intelligence features.

The scenario you are describing, where the AI features are on by default, would require users to manually opt-out of those features.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    chasm said:
    gatorguy said:

You still don't seem to quite undertand what "opt-in" means. If the default requires the user to opt-in, that means they have to manually turn on Apple Intelligence features.

The scenario you are describing, where the AI features are on by default, would require users to manually opt-out of those features.
    Perhaps the phrase "opt-in BY DEFAULT" is less than clear. To me it means that opt-out is NOT the default setting; ie, you're getting it unless you proactively tell us no. 
    I know the default setting for Google Gemini on my Pixel 8Pro is opt-out, and I had to actively allow opt-in for it to be enabled. Apple may be doing the same, but the wording sued in some articles is confusing. 

FWIW I may go back to opt-out until Google figures out where Assistant ends and Gemini picks up. At the moment, Gemini is too chatty for me most of the time. 
    edited August 17