Apple admits to using Google Tensor hardware to train Apple Intelligence

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    danox said:
    People do realize that Apple use’s other companies computer platforms to make their products. Such as using Windows/Linux computers to run the electrical engineering design software.
    Yes they do mainly due to market inertia in the cad market featuring companies like Autodesk, and Trimble for example which barely supports Mac Computers at all despite Apple being on the verge of offering the M3/M4 PowerBook Pro/Max laptops which will be arguably the best laptops made up until this point bandwidth memory wattage power/battery life and overall performance when combined with what Apple has has coming on the OS software side with Apple Intelligence is unmatched unplugged from a wall. (many job sites)

That mobile hardware, software power also includes the M4 iPad Pro and 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max which run programs like Morpholio Trace with ease. But Apple is definitely missing the boat in the cad/3D/construction area it's comical and sad watching current PC laptops getting 2 hours of battery time on site.

The biggest problem for Apple users is that most of these CAD systems are written for x86, and the companies that sell and support these systems don't see the value in transitioning to Windows on ARM, and less so to Apple Silicon. It's cheaper for the user to just buy a fairly modern PC to run those applications on. 

I have an AutoDesk Suite, Product Design and Manufacturing Collection, which has some components that support Apple M series, and others that don't. In theory, I could use Fusion and get the same capabilities that I get in Inventor Pro, but I prefer Inventor Pro. At some point, likely after Apple announces an M4 Studio Mac, I might find it is worth it to transition fully to Fusion 360, but it makes more sense to just have a Mac and a PC, since I prefer the Mac for everything else I do creatively.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    While Apple kept pushing for unnecessary unused horsepower in their chips Google chose to focus on AI with the Tensor chip, and Apple was caught flat footed. I remember when Google first announced Tensor and everybody talked about how it wasn't as fast as Apple's chip and Google came out and said they weren't going for speed. This article makes me want to check out the new Pixel, I know the "AI" on it will be the real deal.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 26
    This article makes me want to check out the new Pixel, I know the "AI" on it will be the real deal.
    You mean the “real deal” AI that says eating rocks is healthy, suggests putting glue on pizza and that a good treatment for depression is to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge? Ha ha, OK, good luck with that.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member
    While Apple kept pushing for unnecessary unused horsepower in their chips Google chose to focus on AI with the Tensor chip, and Apple was caught flat footed. I remember when Google first announced Tensor and everybody talked about how it wasn't as fast as Apple's chip and Google came out and said they weren't going for speed. This article makes me want to check out the new Pixel, I know the "AI" on it will be the real deal.

This article has nothing to do with the Tensor SoC’s in the Pixel. Those SoC’s aren’t even close to Apple’s M-Series in any respect - maybe the NPU is close.

This is about Google’s server Tensor Processing Unit, which is an entirely different beast….

edited July 31 muthuk_vanalingamdanoxwilliamlondonblastdoorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    This article makes me want to check out the new Pixel, I know the "AI" on it will be the real deal.
    You mean the “real deal” AI that says eating rocks is healthy, suggests putting glue on pizza and that a good treatment for depression is to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge? Ha ha, OK, good luck with that.

This image is fake. The person who posted it on Twitter created it by using inspect element and then editing the response. He later made his account private after he was community noted.
    edited July 31 gatorguywilliamlondonIreneW
  • Reply 26 of 26
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,154member
    Google hasn't allowed anyone to buy the TPUs outright 

Seems like unfounded speculation by the author. Apple does rent plenty of time on all the major cloud providers you'd expect. 
    danoxblastdoorwatto_cobra