Ohio residents can now add driver's license, state ID to the iPhone Wallet app

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 31

Ohio officially becomes the fifth state to support driver's licenses and State IDs stored on the iPhone and Apple Watch via the Apple Wallet app.

In 2020, Apple announced plans to allow iPhone owners to add their passport, driver's license, and state ID to the iPhone. Four years later, only a handful of states have adopted the feature.

Spotted by 9to5mac, Ohioans can now add their driver's license or state ID to their iPhone or Apple Watch. This allows them to pass through select Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoints faster and more securely. Currently, the Wallet-stored IDs can't be used at every airport, but the TSA keeps a running list on their website.

Ohio marks the fifth state to adopt this form of digital ID. The first state, Arizona, adopted it in March 2022.

Other states that support the feature include Colorado, Maryland, and Georgia.

Read on AppleInsider

dewme

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,012member
    Hope Ohio does a better job than California. I have yet to have anyone accept mine as valid. They don’t even put your address on it so worthless as ID. 
  • Reply 2 of 6
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 867member
    Still waiting for NY to get on board with this feature.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Not sure I'll trust this for awhile.  I still use the chip or magnetic stripe on credit cards, not tap to pay.  

Once was stopped by policeman who told me that my license plate should be on a car that I'd not owned for 9 years.  Was later told the problem was caused by a computer outage (yeah, right).  Oddly, I wasn't arrested or issued a ticket (maybe the guy was pulling my leg).  

Remember reading that one state has discontinued use of electronic identification stored on cellphones and similar electronic devices.  
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Not sure I'll trust this for awhile.  I still use the chip or magnetic stripe on credit cards, not tap to pay.  

Once was stopped by policeman who told me that my license plate should be on a car that I'd not owned for 9 years.  Was later told the problem was caused by a computer outage (yeah, right).  Oddly, I wasn't arrested or issued a ticket (maybe the guy was pulling my leg).  

Remember reading that one state has discontinued use of electronic identification stored on cellphones and similar electronic devices.  
    that state was Florida and it was an app that 99% of Floridians didn’t even knew existed and that as of note no company, bar, or store can use it as a valid ID since Florida law doesn’t allow digital identification yet (cause it’s Florida).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Hope Ohio does a better job than California. I have yet to have anyone accept mine as valid. They don’t even put your address on it so worthless as ID. 
    The problem is that California went with their own approach and of course created a lousy app.  I wouldn't mind needing to temporarily use their crappy app to get a "real" Apple DL/ID in my Wallet app, but I expect to be able to immediately delete that app afterwards.  Given the feedback, adoption will be low and they will decide it is because nobody is interested and abandon further attempts.  😒
  • Reply 6 of 6
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    It’s actually pretty cool looking with a holographic effect depending on how you hold it. The image alternates between the state seal and Neil Armstrong on the moon. Are the others designed similarly, I wonder?
    edited August 5