Drivers love CarPlay as car infotainment systems get worse overall

Posted:
in iOS edited August 1
CarPlay is popular with drivers, a J.D. Power study reveals, but that could be less about CarPlay, and more about how owners are so unhappy with infotainment systems provided by car makers.

Car dashboard touchscreen displaying various colorful app icons including Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, Podcasts, and Audiobooks. A phone mount is attached above the screen.
CarPlay in iOS 18

As a means to access the services available on an
iPhone while behind the wheel, CarPlay is tough to beat. This sentiment is confirmed in the 2024 U.S. Automotive Performace, Execution, and Layout Study by J.D. Power.

The study shows that overall satisfaction for vehicles has grown two points from 845 out of 1,000 in 2023 to 847 in 2024. The increase is a rebound after two years of decline.

While the report is good, infotainment systems are continuing to be a struggling point for consumers. Though the category improved 5 points to 823, it was still one of the lowest-scoring categories across the entire industry.

Drilling down, the figures indicate that in-vehicle infotainment systems averages a score of 805. However, the score is higher for owners who use systems like Apple's CarPlay or Android Auto.

CarPlay users rated their infotainment systems at an average of 840, 35 points above those who use the built-in version. Android Auto also does well but doesn't quite match CarPlay, scoring 832.

According to the report, this shows that consumers prefer to "have the simplistic usability of their phone extended into their vehicle more."

Car makers infotainment systems are too difficult to use

As for why drivers don't like their infotainment systems, the report claims that it's due to them being too complex. Approximately 25% of owners say switching between sources creates a poor audio experience, while 23% blame a difficult menu structure.

"Owners struggle to perform simple audio-related tasks, so it begs the question whether automakers are actually in tune with the desires and needs of their customers," said J.D. Power's senior director of auto benchmarking, Frank Hanley.

CarPlay is receiving a number of updates in iOS 18, including a new UI for Siri queries for weather and sports, as well as the option to route Siri through a media source. A refresh to Messages, new wallpapers, and new accessibility features are also included.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    If I was a car maker, I would jump to new CarPlay as fast as I could.

I just don't understand why the resistance.
    fizzmasterAnilu_777bloggerblogStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 49
    If a car model doesn't have it, I won't even consider it.
    mastericfizzmasterradarthekatzeus423Anilu_777bloggerblogwilliamlondonAfarstarStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 49
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,281member
    Does anyone know how much Apple charges for CarPlay? I'm sure most car manufacturers want the cheapest costing parts in their vehicles so I assume most use some form of free/cheap Android system with the least amount of programming necessary. I have an aftermarket Alpine deck which didn't cost that much (~$500 a few years ago) but that cost is probably 3x more than the vehicle manufacturer wants to pay. My deck connects to the OBD connecter providing a limited amount of vehicle information. It could easily provide much more information without much more programming costs. Of course, the vehicle manufacturers don't want customers having free access to engine codes to see what's wrong, they want to force the customers to get their car serviced. It's the same with CarPlay. CarPlay could easily be enhanced (where is this upgrade???) to provide access to everything in the vehicle without it costing very much but of course these car manufacturers don't want Apple to have anything to do with monitoring vehicles, primarily because they don't want Apple's products to show limitations and failures in the vehicles. I've seen custom-built EVs include way more features that monitor everything in the car, not just the few things ICE manufacturers want the customer to see so it can be done if they want to. Tesla displays everything about the car on a screen, why can't other manufacturers do the same thing? CarPlay is only one feature in a vehicle but car manufacturers are stuck in the Henry Ford era where everything is built the same way with no additional features.
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,777member
    rob53 said:
    Does anyone know how much Apple charges for CarPlay?
    Apple doesn't charge anything for CarPlay. I don't see how they could since the UI is in your iPhone and everything it run from your iPhone. The same goes for Android Auto. All they're doing is allowing the connected device to  use the display and interact with some controls in a very specific way. The auto maker incurs a cost for having to add this feature to the automobile, even if it's an overall minor one.
    Anilu_777Alex_VStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 49
    melwan said:
    Same here. I love CarPlay. Both of our cars have it (and one of them has wireless CarPlay). There is no way I'd buy a car without it. 
    fizzmasterradarthekatzeus423Anilu_777williamlondonAniMillAfarstarStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 49
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 133member
    " ...but that could be less about CarPlay, and more about how owners are so unhappy with infotainment systems provided by car makers" - I don't think that's the case.  By all accounts, Rivian's and Tesla's infotainment systems are very nice.  The problem with all manufacturers' infotainment systems is that they fundamentally can't provide the same level of service as either CarPlay or Android Auto because they don't have access to all the information contained on our phones!  How will Rivian ever manage to automatically suggest directions to the dental appointment I have in my calendar?   The difference is only going to get more stark as Apple rolls out its AI to Siri.  As stupid as Siri currently is, it's already way better than the car's "assistant" - and once Siri becomes more conversational and be able to draw on even more user data (via the models being run on-device), there will be no contest.

Tesla claims to be on the AI bandwagon as well - but it, nor any of the other car manufacturers, have free access to the data on our phones.  Only CarPlay and Android Auto do.   I especially wish Rivian's CEO was more 
    customer-centric as I really like their vehicles.  The guy is smart and should understand this basic issue - his counterpart at Ford has summarized it quite nicely "...the train [of who should provide the infotainment system] has left the station years ago."  Rivian and Tesla (and now GM) just can't see past their greed (future revenue from tying their customers to in-car subscription services).
    danoxradarthekatAnilu_777williamlondonelijahgStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 49
    The real Achilles heal of CarPlay is probably not Apple's fault, but not being able to control your in car Sirius XM satellite service is a real PITA. I don't want to have to rely on the Sirius app with cellular service - use my antennae and satellite subscription!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 49
    From everything I’ve read the car manufacturers want to force people into subscription models for additional revenue streams. Tesla may have more information available but they already have the subscription model. 

I’d suggest the car manufacturers keep in their lane and leave the interface to the experts. 

I’m with everyone else regarding car selection. When I took the model 3 for a test drive, I was willing to overlook many, what I believe, were many missed opportunities, but no CarPlay was a deal breaker for me. I’m curious to see how much competition they need before rethinking it themselves. 

rob53 said:
    Does anyone know how much Apple charges for CarPlay? I'm sure most car manufacturers want the cheapest costing parts in their vehicles so I assume most use some form of free/cheap Android system with the least amount of programming necessary. I have an aftermarket Alpine deck which didn't cost that much (~$500 a few years ago) but that cost is probably 3x more than the vehicle manufacturer wants to pay. My deck connects to the OBD connecter providing a limited amount of vehicle information. It could easily provide much more information without much more programming costs. Of course, the vehicle manufacturers don't want customers having free access to engine codes to see what's wrong, they want to force the customers to get their car serviced. It's the same with CarPlay. CarPlay could easily be enhanced (where is this upgrade???) to provide access to everything in the vehicle without it costing very much but of course these car manufacturers don't want Apple to have anything to do with monitoring vehicles, primarily because they don't want Apple's products to show limitations and failures in the vehicles. I've seen custom-built EVs include way more features that monitor everything in the car, not just the few things ICE manufacturers want the customer to see so it can be done if they want to. Tesla displays everything about the car on a screen, why can't other manufacturers do the same thing? CarPlay is only one feature in a vehicle but car manufacturers are stuck in the Henry Ford era where everything is built the same way with no additional features.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 49
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,374member

Besides wanting to control the experience for their customers, a huge issue is that so much of the car's interface is through and integrated into the infotainment system.
    I agree that CarPlay is a must have, but it is only a portion of a modern vehicle's functionality.
    edited August 1 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,777member
    The real Achilles heal of CarPlay is probably not Apple's fault, but not being able to control your in car Sirius XM satellite service is a real PITA. I don't want to have to rely on the Sirius app with cellular service - use my antennae and satellite subscription!
    That's my biggest issue and I don't think it will be resolved.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 49
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,374member
    masteric said:
    melwan said:
    Same here. I love CarPlay. Both of our cars have it (and one of them has wireless CarPlay). There is no way I'd buy a car without it. 

I also have two vehicles with wireless CarPlay. One is my daily driver and I have CarPlay set up with my phone. All is good. My wife rarely drives this car and when she does, she's fine with the factory infotainment and paired BT etc. Our other car is her primary vehicle but it is also our go-to car when we are together. While we both can set up CarPlay, I found that when both of us are in the car at the same time, the interface was clunky and confusing. Now, I just connect to her car through the factory infotainment system and she connects using CarPlay.

Has anyone else had this issue?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 49
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,012member
    CarPlay is a literal deal breaker for me. We love our ‘22 Chevy Bolt and we’re all set to replace our other car with a Chevy PHEV when GM announced they were dropping it. Now the proud owner of a Hyundai Tucson. Have to plug in my phone, but was told wireless would be coming as an update. 
    radarthekatzeus423Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 49
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,751member
    rob53 said:
    Does anyone know how much Apple charges for CarPlay? I'm sure most car manufacturers want the cheapest costing parts in their vehicles so I assume most use some form of free/cheap Android system with the least amount of programming necessary.
    No, they don't charge anything. The only cost to manufacturers is the integration of CarPlay technology into whatever infotainment system they bundle with the car. Which is far cheaper than developing their own.

But what you're failing to see is the new data harvesting-driven economy which I've been complaining about for years on here. Where technology is developed and given away for free, in return for it being able to monitor and collect data about everything you do with it. This is what the car manufacturers want a piece of, and is why they're replacing CarPlay/Android Auto with their own systems.
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Funny thing about that is I am considering dropping one of my cars from Sirius because I've been using wireless CarPlay and the Sirius XM app as a trial in it for a few weeks. Why have to negotiate down from $200+ to $80ish ($60 + fees and taxes) every year when I can just pay $0 for that car?
    edited August 1 Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 49
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,012member
    mike1 said:

Besides wanting to control the experience for their customers, a huge issue is that so much of the car's interface is through and integrated into the infotainment system.
    I agree that CarPlay is a must have, but it is only a portion of a modern vehicle's functionality.

True, Detroit needs to get that entertainment (car radio) has always been separate and distinct from other vehicle control systems. They even embraced this by featuring third party lux branded components as a feature. The only difference now is the addition of navigation to the “radio.” I don't want to control the A/C or automatic braking with my phone. I prefer Apple nav to that supplied in either car. 
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Love CarPlay, but unfortunately does not control Subaru vehicle FM Radio that we use daily.  Several button presses to switch back and forth.  Would love if vehicle FM Radio control was integrated into CarPlay.
    zeus423appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 49

GM is a perfect example of this. They claimed that "Apple was trying to control too much of the car's systems" and recently opted to remove CarPlay from their vehicles. Their solution was to go with Google's system. The very opposite of Apple's CarPlay. Apple's CarPlay anonymizes their users, so no one can see what you are doing or who you are. This is the very information that advertisers want. Google gives them that information (for a fee) so they can monitor what you are doing and sell that information to other companies for profit.

So, what's happening? There have already been several reports by drivers that their Google navigation is suddenly giving them detours from their route. The detours are  not to get you around possible traffic issues, but commercials for vendors trying to get you into their stores. Imagine you are trying to get to an important business meeting on time in another city and suddenly your navigation system tells you to take a detour, only to find yourself turning into the parking lot of Clownburgers.

This puts me  into a serious conundrum because I was planning on buying a Chevy Equinox EV, currently the most affordable, cross-country capable EV. Now, my choices are narrowed down to EVs that cost at least twice as much, but still offer Apple CarPlay. A serious crimp in my financial planning.

GM has been making some good choices moving towards EVs, but dropping CarPlay was absolutely the dumbest, most shortsighted decision above all.
    radarthekatzeus423Anilu_777Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 566member
    Note: CarPlay is messed up on iOS 17.6. Either Siri doesn’t have any audio or she sounds like a chipmunk. But yeah I wouldn’t buy a car without it as that’s just a bug that will be fixed. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 49
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,120member
    Last time I tried Sirius XM via satellite, their signal was so low-bitrate/compressed that the sound quality was decidedly inferior to standard FM radio (never mind HD radio). Have they done anything about that? My sense was that, with the availability of mobile broadband, they weren’t going to bother investing billions in launching new satellites to cover the needed bandwidth for higher-quality sound.

To be fair, up until recently, auto manufacturers had to worry about the potential of a competing Apple Car. Particularly with the shift to EVs, the idea of GM or Toyota enabling Apple, as a competing car manufacturer, to increasingly integrate Apple’s software into GM or Toyota’s cars might seem like a bad idea. So I actually think it’s understandable that they headed off in a different direction. 

With the Apple Car seemingly off the table, those companies might want to reconsider, though that’s a harder decision to make, because they’ve already headed way down the other trail already, and backing out of that will be expensive.

As for the subscriptions some are looking at, they’re facing a difficult business model. Set aside for a moment the very real discussion of the issue of collecting and selling user tracking data. Car manufacturers have historically been working under a business model where their obligations after a customer drives off the lot are pretty limited. Aside from warranties and potential recalls, the buyer received everything they’re going to get when they bought the car. 

Apple pretty much introduced a whole new business paradigm with the iPhone, where a hardware purchase comes with free (pre-paid, really) software upgrades for several years, including performance improvements and entirely new features that weren’t even considered at the initial purchase. That was never a thing with a car purchase. Car companies’ first try at that was satnav, and the implementation was always terrible. Now, smartphones are “infotainment systems” that most people already have, and those continuous upgrades set a steep expectation that car companies are not inherently set up to meet. 

Worse yet is the economic model required to deliver those updates. For iPhones, the updates feel free, but really we pay for them when we buy a new phone, which is on a three-to-five year typical cycle. Consumers are surprisingly tolerant of spending ~$1,000 every few years for a new phone. That’s a lot harder to figure for a $40,000+ EV. Some people trade in cars every few years, but for that kind of money, many people are used to keeping one for 10 or 20 years. Without a subscription model, how will car companies price out five, ten or twenty years of software upgrades? For that matter, particularly with EVs, will current hardware even be able to run new software a decade down the road? Without the worry over a competing Apple Car, auto manufacturers may quickly see CarPlay (and Android Auto) as the best solution, because a ‘dumb terminal’ will allow the consumer to pay not only for software upgrades, but also to worry on their own about paying for new iPhones capable of running the latest software. All the car manufacturer has to deliver then is a screen capable of displaying it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 49
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 285member

——

Car manufacturers view the infotainment systems as profit centers designed to generate revenue by sucking up driver data not only to amass statistically useful data on vehicle performance, but also to sell on to data aggregators. CarPlay, I believe, requires a licensing fee and sends no data to the manufacturer.

Looking for a business card printer that can produce colorful cards that read, “No CarPlay, no sale.”

watto_cobra