Twitter for Mac leaves the Mac App Store, but iPad X is still usable

Posted:
in Mac Software

Formerly a must-have social app, Twitter for Mac is no longer visible in the Mac App Store, but you could still use the X iPad app on Apple Silicon.

Blue rounded square with a white bird silhouette, representing the Twitter logo, on a gradient blue background.
Twitter icon, pre-X

The Elon Musk era's changing of Twitter to X has seemingly claimed another victim. This time, it's the Twitter app made for macOS.

Spotted by developer "Vedant" on X, the Twitter app for Mac is not visible in the Mac App Store.

AppleInsider used a variety of search terms covering both Twitter and X, but failed to find the app at all. Attempts using the previously-used URL also show the app as unavailable.

The change means that existing users of Twitter for Mac will still be able to use it on the Mac, until X decides to terminate access to its service. However, new users are unable to download it.

The loss of the ability to get the Mac app follows a year and a half after Twitter killed off access for third-party client apps to use the service. Instead, users had to use Twitter/X's own apps.

For X users who still want to read and make posts on their Mac, they have a few choices. There's always access by a web browser, but they could also use the iPad X app on Apple Silicon Macs.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    The old Twitter app is not usable. When I opened it today, I got a message saying it was outdated and that I should update. Nothing happened when pressing the Update button, and I had to force quit Twitter to get out of the app.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,519member
    Twitter has proven amazingly resilient in the face of its malignant owner. I almost never go there anymore but clearly plenty of people do. My hope is that everyone who isn’t a musk fan will leave, but I’m afraid that hope might never be realized .
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,751member
    blastdoor said:
    Twitter has proven amazingly resilient in the face of its malignant owner. I almost never go there anymore but clearly plenty of people do. My hope is that everyone who isn’t a musk fan will leave, but I’m afraid that hope might never be realized .
    The vast majority of Twitter accounts these days are for business, which includes influencers and other self promoters. Between those and bot accounts to pad numbers/harvest data, there isn't much genuine human interest in the platform.
    DAalsethwilliamlondonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    auxio said:
    blastdoor said:
    The vast majority of Twitter accounts these days are for business, which includes influencers and other self promoters. Between those and bot accounts to pad numbers/harvest data, there isn't much genuine human interest in the platform.
    Bless your heart.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technology/maye-musk-is-a-proud-mom-as-sons-x-platform-scores-a-win-over-mark-zuckerbergs-instagram-and-facebook-elon-musk-says-there-is-still-limited-understanding/ar-BB1qZYOu
    bloggerblogwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 13
    israndyisrandy Posts: 16member
    It seemed that the Mac app was broken for some time, I finally gave up and migrated to the Web version of the site some weeks ago. Had to delete the app to stop the constant "Do you want to open this link in X?" The Web version isn't perfect either, but at least appears to work though sometimes I find the iOS version to be the best.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 433administrator
    auxio said:
    blastdoor said:
    Bless your heart.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technology/maye-musk-is-a-proud-mom-as-sons-x-platform-scores-a-win-over-mark-zuckerbergs-instagram-and-facebook-elon-musk-says-there-is-still-limited-understanding/ar-BB1qZYOu

Press X to doubt.

Looking at the data on similarweb, which he is citing here, it's obvious that there's data irregularity there. Just look at the traffic numberse for April/May/June -- https://www.similarweb.com/website/x.com -- it does seem like they did some kinda twtter/x merge in May for overall ranking, which makes sense, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's just a ton of duplicate data in there which is what lead to the drastic increase 
    edited August 1 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,898member
    melotron said:
    The old Twitter app is not usable. When I opened it today, I got a message saying it was outdated and that I should update. Nothing happened when pressing the Update button, and I had to force quit Twitter to get out of the app.
    It still works. You just have to cancel out of the updates and then it goes back to your timeline. Worked just fine for me right now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    tapetape Posts: 48member
    auxio said:
    blastdoor said:
    I'll be sure to tell all of my friends that our interest in using it is insincere.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,986member
    X is still the must-have app for social media. Much better than in the Twitter days. 

The X app is live on iPhone as of this moment. 

The Mac Twitter app is likely being altered in a major way as it rebrands to X - unless musk decided that it wasn’t worth keeping if most Mac users just use safari. 
    edited August 1
  • Reply 10 of 13
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,046member
    "Formerly a must-have social app".  

Plenty are still on Twitter X.
    When Biden announced he was dropping out it was on X and all the media outlets that claim nobody uses Twitter X saw it and reported it. 

The latest numbers show higher numbers than Facebook or Instagram, BTW.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 13
    davgreg said:

When Biden announced he was dropping out it was on X and all the media outlets that claim nobody uses Twitter X saw it and reported it. 

Hostile to the point of unusable if you’re LGBT+, because Musk allows any kind of hate directed at us. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 13

davgreg said:

Twitter users: where anecdotes are proof. 
    williamlondondewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    oldenboomoldenboom Posts: 33unconfirmed, member
    […]
    The Mac Twitter app is likely being altered in a major way as it rebrands to X - unless musk decided that it wasn’t worth keeping if most Mac users just use safari. 
    The app is unusable for quite some time. I stopped using it allogether even though the iOS version is fine (and works on macOS / Apple silicon).  On macOS I currently use the browser version of X. I llve making fools of the many twitter idiots although way too many seem to be bots, trolls or influencers. Or frauds.
    watto_cobra