Another Apple ad campaign crashes and burns under pressure from viewers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    profprof Posts: 94member
    The video was great! People are getting so miserable.
    I found the video terrible, pretty much everything about it: The plot, the acting, the filming and post-processing and the mock-up of Thailand. TBH, I didn't even think they had actually shot (much of it) in situ since a lot of the scenes were evidently not the original location they claimed to be. I wouldn't say Thailand (and especially Bangkok) is all summed up better than portrayed, but it is very different indeed.

I do agree that people are getting miserable, though. If I were the Thai tourism center, I'd have doubled down and told people: That short portrays the idea of Thailand from people who have obviously not spent much or even any time here, come and see what it's really like.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 22 of 25
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,003member
    The video was great! People are getting so miserable.

Real life example:

Who’s gracious of you to designate yourself as the gatekeeper of how the citizens of another country should feel about their depiction. Why would you ever want to let people speak for themselves, that would just be ridiculous.  

• Reply 23 of 25
    looplessloopless Posts: 340member
    I thought, after having been to Thailand (some years ago to be fair) that it was a fun and somewhat accurate portrayal. What it did show was the uniformly gracious and friendly nature of the Thai people and how clueless some foreigners behave there. It was done by a Thai production company after all.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Worse for Thailand than an ad locally portrayed as "crash and burn" from Apple;

https://www.eeas.europa.eu/eeas/thailand-statement-spokesperson-dissolution-main-opposition-party_en

The decision by the Constitutional Court of Thailand to dissolve another major political party, the Move Forward Party, is a setback for political pluralism in Thailand. The Move Forward Party was the leading party in the general elections in May 2023 with over 14 million votes (out of 39 million). 

No democratic system can function without a plurality of parties and candidates. Any limitation on the exercise of free association and expression, in particular through the activities and formation of political parties, must be consistent with relevant provisions and principles of international instruments, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

It is important that the authorities ensure that all legitimately elected Members of Parliament are able to continue fulfilling their parliamentary mandates, irrespective of the party from which they were elected.

The European Union stands ready to broaden its engagement with Thailand under the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement signed on 14 December 2022, including on issues of democratic pluralism, fundamental freedoms, and human rights.

• Reply 25 of 25
    So stupid to pull this ad. Not only were the Thai people the heroes of the story, the scenes around the city I thought looked great.